want some upgrade options ??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on want some upgrade options ?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello every one new to here and fisrt off new wrx owner. bought a 04 wrx. Parts i recently installed ...

want some upgrade options ??

Hello every one new to here and fisrt off new wrx owner.
    bought a 04 wrx.
    Parts i recently installed
    hks bov
    intake
    full turbo back exhaust hks
    apexi boost controller
    apexi turbo timer
    boost / af gauge.
    Wanted to find out how much boost the stock motor can handle
    and my car seems to miss when i go full throttle.
    what other options can i do and suggestion for aftermarket ecu's

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    What intake?

Remove: crappy HKS BoV, boost controller and downpipe.

Your car is not boost controller friendly and a tune is required to use that downpipe as well (HKS downpipe is not the greatest design in the 1st place, you will need to replace if if you ever go with a larger turbo). Depending on the intake as well you may need to get tuned for it as well. HKS SSQVs are one of the more leak prone valves. The turbo timer wasn't the greatest investment either as your car doesn't need it at all. And unless that AFR gauge is hooked up to a wideband 02 sensor it's nothing but a pretty light show.

When your car "misses" under load it's letting you know that something is wrong. It may or may not be due to the improper modding.

In the future, for the love of god research 1st. Until then, have someone else hide your credit card.
    Last edited by brfatal; 11-14-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    In the future, for the love of god research 1st. Until then, have someone else hide your credit card.
    +1. It really amazes me how people can just buy/throw parts on w/o any research. This thread is case in point, as he has bunch of bad parts (as noted by Brfatal).

To the OP:

Please read the FAQs/Stickies at the top of the forum. It is definitely time for you to get your "learning on."
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 11-14-2009 at 01:36 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

All that money, all wrong parts.

I agree with everyone else. Research, research, RESEARCH!
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

im just starting into the awd seen, im an old honda boosted veteran i got these parts off a friends wreck so i paid pennies on the dollar for them. so i figure installed them on mine
    there not like the hondas i can find anything for them. what type of programs are there? any you can download like crome ec tune for the ecu's.

the lack was the fuel . i replaced it with a walbro 255lph and it worked ok so far

I think what the other members are tryin to point out is you part selection is wrong pertaining to your WRX. You got these parts from a friends wrecked honda and slapped it on your WRX - WRONG!

If you fail to read and understand what is good or bad for the car, it won't perform as it should. I'd read the links provided by the members and read again then start your mod process over.

Quote Originally Posted by 96743wrx View Post
    im just starting into the awd seen, im an old honda boosted veteran i got these parts off a friends wreck so i paid pennies on the dollar for them. so i figure installed them on mine
    there not like the hondas i can find anything for them. what type of programs are there? any you can download like crome ec tune for the ecu's.

the lack was the fuel . i replaced it with a walbro 255lph and it worked ok so far
    I <3 SASHA.M

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    I think what the other members are tryin to point out is you part selection is wrong pertaining to your WRX. You got these parts from a friends wrecked honda and slapped it on your WRX - WRONG!

If you fail to read and understand what is good or bad for the car, it won't perform as it should. I'd read the links provided by the members and read again then start your mod process over.
    I think he was was saying that he got them from a friend's wrecked Subaru.

Until this car is custom tuned and, if it is not a tuning problem, the hesitation issue is fixed this car needs to be be driven gently. Don't rag on the car with all these things wrong with it.

Ahhh... ok maybe I misread, I saw honda veteran then friends wreck...

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    I think he was was saying that he got them from a friend's wrecked Subaru.
    I <3 SASHA.M

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hello every one new to here and fisrt off new wrx owner.
    bought a 04 wrx.

Sweet, congrats on the purchase.

Parts i recently installed
    hks bov

Useless unless you just like the sound, in which case, still useless, and potentially, albeit minimally, harmful.

intake

Again, useless, unless (subjectively, and I disagree) tuned for.

full turbo back exhaust hks

apexi boost controller
    Get rid of it now.

apexi turbo timer
    Not needed with your setup. The stock Subaru turbocharger is gravity fed from a secondary coolant resevoir which uses an evaporation method to cool the turbo after the car is shut off. Unless you think it's cool to be able to walk away from your car while it's still running for whatever reason, it's not necessary with the stock setup.

boost / af gauge.
    Good things to have. Get a wideband O2 sensor though, otherwise your AFR gauge is relatively useless.

Wanted to find out how much boost the stock motor can handle
    Depends on a good many different conditions. Turbo, fuel delivery, tuning, other mods, miles, previous damage, current condition, all play a factor, and it's never a guaranteed amount that you can run safely.

and my car seems to miss when i go full throttle.
    Probably because you're not tuned correctly.

what other options can i do and suggestion for aftermarket ecu's
    Lot's of options, open source is my favorite (RomRaider, ECUFlash + Tactrix Cable), ECUtek, Cobb, TurboXS, etc.

Alrighty let's start here. Remove unnecessary parts, and get a protune instead (again you can leave intake on).

You will find that Subaru's are EXTREMELY different from Honda's. What you thought were good modifications for an aftermarket turbo setup on a Honda are terrible suggestions for a Subaru. You need to do a lot of research and not purchase parts willy-nilly like that, it's where a lot of people make their first mistakes and sometimes it ends up being very costly.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 11-19-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

yeah i want to get a good ecu that i can tune myself with a wideband. but it will have to be street tune know one has a awd dyno here.

do these subarus have any eproms you can install??

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 96743wrx
    yeah i want to get a good ecu that i can tune myself with a wideband. but it will have to be street tune know one has a awd dyno here.

do these subarus have any eproms you can install??
    The link I posted earlier will pretty much answer any question you have off the bat. I would read that then come back and ask specific questions that were not answered in there. Also there are FAQ's/Stickies on this site that contain alot of this "frequently asked info" as well. Most OBDII ECU's do not use Eprom/EEproms and have a reflashable memory. So,no there are no Eproms but there are plenty of engine management solutions.

> FAQ - Support Threads <
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-20-2009 at 06:58 PM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

alright im new at this and i really dont know what the hell im doing...but i recently bought a new intake and put it in and when i hooked the whire up to my MAF sensor and tried to start my car it just shut my car off...so i have to keep the wire unplagged in order for my car to run.. i need to get a new MAF sensor but idk what to get..any help?

can u send me a private message or somthin if u have an answer..thanks
    Last edited by SKRIPTED; 11-20-2009 at 07:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    You kinda threadjacked a little but my guess is you put the MAF sensor in backwards. Connector points at the front of the car. Also just slapping any old intake on your WRX is not a good idea. Read this:

CobbTuning.com - Aftermarket Intakes

Intake FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SKRIPTED View Post
    alright im new at this and i really dont know what the hell im doing...but i recently bought a new intake and put it in and when i hooked the whire up to my MAF sensor and tried to start my car it just shut my car off...so i have to keep the wire unplagged in order for my car to run.. i need to get a new MAF sensor but idk what to get..any help?

can u send me a private message or somthin if u have an answer..thanks
    In addition to Donkey's reply, you have a PM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.