bypass valve?

This is a discussion on bypass valve? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; with a cold air intake, is it necessary to have a bypass valve just in case water gets through the ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

bypass valve?

with a cold air intake, is it necessary to have a bypass valve just in case water gets through the fender well?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You cannot run an intake bypass valve in a WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    ok thats good to know, but can i ask why. just wondering. Also what years are my02-07?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    ok thats good to know, but can i ask why. just wondering. Also what years are my02-07?
    In the US MY02-07 includes cars with a late 2001 build date through cars with a build date up to spring of 2007 or so.

Somewhere around there's a diagramme of the intake and exhaust systems, see if you can find it because a picture is worth a thousand words.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    Because they are not for use in turbocharged cars, as per AEM's own documentation.

The valve is set to open when intake vacuum pressures in the intake tube reach X amount. When your turbo spools you'll greatly exceed that amount and the bypass valve will open, which will wear the valve down.

Quote Originally Posted by AEM
    Although you can run the bypass valve on this setup as people have done with the 1.8T, AEM doesn't recommend them on turbo applications. Our reasoning is that they have seen instances where over time the bypass valves break down on turbo applications (due to the fact that there is so much more air moving through the intake system) and little pieces of the valve can end up in the turbine. While this hasn't happened on a VW application, we have seen it happen, so just be aware of that.
    Last edited by brfatal; 09-23-2009 at 09:55 PM.