Need Help - LOW BOOST - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Help - LOW BOOST within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Tom, it sounds like you have an issue with the wastegate. Inspect all the vacuum hoses that attach to ...

Hey Tom, it sounds like you have an issue with the wastegate. Inspect all the vacuum hoses that attach to the turbo and make sure they are in good condition. It is also probably worth a try to clean or replace the stock BCS (Boost Control Solenoid). They can get a bit gunked up in the solenoid and then no longer function. You can clean the thing down with some carb cleaner and see if it will work, or replacement. Someone may have one local that you could try and see if that is the problem. The BCS takes only a few minutes to swap.

Best of luck.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Hey Tom, it sounds like you have an issue with the wastegate. Inspect all the vacuum hoses that attach to the turbo and make sure they are in good condition. It is also probably worth a try to clean or replace the stock BCS (Boost Control Solenoid). They can get a bit gunked up in the solenoid and then no longer function. You can clean the thing down with some carb cleaner and see if it will work, or replacement. Someone may have one local that you could try and see if that is the problem. The BCS takes only a few minutes to swap.

Best of luck.
    I still agree with this. Have you checked the wastegate arm yet and see if it is attached to the turbo still? It is an easy fix.
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon
    mod list http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2188188-post359.html - hopefully.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    My 06 sti cut boost big time when the engine was hurt. The computer may be in "safe mode" because of an issue. Unfortunately my issue was serious, but yours probably isnt as their isnt an accompanying cel
    I think this could be a possibility.The only way to tell is to check the IAM/DAM. Other than that I would try to use Cobb's Racetuner software (was free) and get some datalogs showing IAM and wastegate duty cycle. You could try cleaning the BCS as well using an electronics cleaner. What octane gas you running?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well, tried a different BCS & still nothing over 5 psi - basically the same stuff. So any other ideas?

I have talked to a few Subie Heads & they said if it was the a waste gate issue - I would have no boost?

so anyother suggestions would be great

Does it struggle to get to 5psi or does it get their fairly normally and then just crap out?
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon

She still pulls pretty hard - it has hit 6/7 psi but not often - but for the most part it just doesn't get above that 5 psi mark - no problem getting there. it is still "dragging" in 5th gear - sounds like the motor rpms are thru the red line (but aren't moving) but not picking up speed but just in 5th gear (stock map) - Cobb stage 2 it does it in 4th & 5th.

Please help

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycracker View Post
    Well, tried a different BCS & still nothing over 5 psi - basically the same stuff. So any other ideas?

I have talked to a few Subie Heads & they said if it was the a waste gate issue - I would have no boost?

so anyother suggestions would be great
    The BCS was compatible?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by crazycracker View Post
    sounds like the motor rpms are thru the red line (but aren't moving) but not picking up speed but just in 5th gear (stock map) - Cobb stage 2 it does it in 4th & 5th.
    Not sure what you mean. Do you mean it sound a lot louder? Or do you mean the RPM's are literally running up to red line?

If it is the first one, i would seriously just try seeing if the wastegate arm is loose. Just grab it and see if it moves at all (I forget if you can reach it with the stock heat shield on... ). With the COBB maps, they do play with the wastegate duty, so, again, i would suggest taking a peak at it.

If the RPM's are literally going higher and you aren't moving... (which I dont think that's what you are saying)... sounds like clutch. But, that's too obvious and I am currently enjoying some Guiness(s)
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon

2004 WRX owner here.

I'm also not reaching target boost w/ my Cobb AP Stage 1.

So far I've tried the following

Switching back to Stock Map - 8PSI

Tried the HWG Stage 1 - 8PSI

Checked vacuum lines and the restrictor pill is there, no leaks.

I took the BCS off last night and sprayed some electronic cleaner in it. I was unable to blow through the BCS. Hooked up a 12v source and the BCS clicks, but w/ 12v applied I'm still unable to blow through it.

It seems that the BCS needs replaced. I was doing some research on MBC, but that seems to be a big no no, especially w/ a 2004+ WRX w/ Cobb AP.

I have no easy access to another 2004 Stock BCS.

ok - been a little while now w/ the issue - I got myself a used stock turbo that I was going to try to pop on & see if it was the turbo or not & @ the same time put a bell mouth down pipe & replace my divorced waste gate style - started to do it today & noticed something a little weird - so to test my idea - does anyone have a diagram of where the vac lines go between/ connect to the boost solenoid, turbo & piping - it would help a great deal!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

so to clean the bcs do you have to take it apart?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post

Best of luck.

Do you have any hard faults or continuous codes? Also if your having a serious issue reload the factory map and start checking things. If your not building boost easiest place to start is the boost solenoid both electric and the mechanical plunger. If you have the turbo inlet off inspect the impellar fins for crack, chips and excessive play in the center shaft. 5 to 7 psi is wastegate pressure typically when the wastegate is stuck open.

12.7 1/4 mile w/ intercooler sprayer

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
    so to clean the bcs do you have to take it apart?
    no, you don't have to take it apart. you can just take the vacuum lines off and spray some electronics part cleaner in each end...I picked up a can at radio shack, but this didn't fix my problem. my stock bcs was so clogged up, it was useless...i bought a used one by posting in the wanted section on the forums. fixed my problem. :-) if you apply 9v or 12v of power to the bcs, you should be able to blow through it...if not, then its bad.

I was able to remove the vacuum line going to the wastegate actuator, but how are you supposed to remove the one going to the turbo inlet? and I tried connectiong the test mode connectors and switching the key to the on position but I didn't hear the solenoid clicking and wasn't able to blow through the vacuum line. My car still hits target boost 13.5 psi but there is a lot of flutter at low boost partial throttle basically whenever the solenoid is modulating.

Quote Originally Posted by theweedaman View Post
    no, you don't have to take it apart. you can just take the vacuum lines off and spray some electronics part cleaner in each end...I picked up a can at radio shack, but this didn't fix my problem. my stock bcs was so clogged up, it was useless...i bought a used one by posting in the wanted section on the forums. fixed my problem. :-) if you apply 9v or 12v of power to the bcs, you should be able to blow through it...if not, then its bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.