Wrinklechop's Progress Thread

This is a discussion on Wrinklechop's Progress Thread within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In the spirit of Ninefourteener , I decided to start documenting my car's progress. Should have started this a while ...

Wrinklechops

Wrinklechop's Progress Thread

In the spirit of Ninefourteener, I decided to start documenting my car's progress. Should have started this a while back, but it's never too late I suppose.

Here are a few links to threads of issues I've been dealing with over the past 6 months just to give you some background (and for my own reference).

ClubWRX: IAM Stuck at 15

Cobb: IAM Stuck at 15

RomRaider: How to "scale MAF" stock airbox...Help with AF Learning...

XPT Stage 2 map up on the dyno - not happy!

And for the sake of the first post, as of today (July 4th, 2009), my mod list is as follows:

Engine:

• Apex'i Super Grounding System
    • Lightly Pro-Tuned 223whp/230wtq @ 14.5 psi
    • Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
    • AMSOIL 5W-30
    • K+N filters
    • Full TBE: Greddy Evo2 cat-back, ERZ catless downpipe, TiTek catless uppipe. Thermo-Tec coated and wrapped
    • Samco blue intercooler hoses
    • Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    • Gimmick turbo inlet hose
    • Samco MAF hose

Drivetrain/Suspension/Random:

• Brembo drilled rotors
    • Hawk Performance pads
    • Whiteline Rear Subframe Lock Kit
    • Whiteline steering rack bushings
    • Whiteline Rear Differential Bushings
    • Whiteline gearbox bushing mounts
    • COBB Short Shift Lever + front bushing
    • COBB rear shifter bushing
    • CUSCO master brake cylinder brace
    • CUSCO 22mm front sway bar
    • Techna-Fit stainless steel clutch line w/ Motul 600 fluid
    • Blitz Full auto Turbo Timer
    • STi hood scoop + air splitter
    • Kartboy XL exhaust hangers
    • Grimmspeed tranny ****tail mix (awesome!)

Coming to theaters this summer hopefully:

* Techna-Fit stainless steel brake lines
    * Grimmspeed phenolic spacers
    * TGV delete
    * Grimmspeed IM PnP and coated
    * Eibach camber bolts
    * Mach V "blues"
    * 800cc or 1000cc injectors
    * E85 tune
    * STi TMIC or similar

That's it for now gang. Pics will come.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 07-05-2009 at 05:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good dude. elevation kills us huh
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Wrinklechops
    Yes, we are starved for power up here at this elevation, but we can make do That brings me to my first update of this thread...

I am currently sitting on a few ideas for mods. Of course, $ is an obstacle as always, or else I wouldn't hesitate to do ALL these mods and get tuned for them and make my little 2.0 fly like the wind.

Intake Manifold PnP, ceramic coated
    TGV deletes/PnP
    Phenolic spacers
    Larger TMIC (used STi for example)
    Injectors (either modified stocks or brand new D-works)
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    E85 Pro-Tune

I have the IM, TGVs, spacers, and the Grimmspeed EBCS all here in my garage. Now let's consider estimated bang-for-the-buck:

IM - $179 - 5-10hp/tq
    TGVs - $214 - 10-20hp/tq
    Injectors - $200-500 depending on brand and flow capacity
    Larger TMIC - $200-400 (used)
    E85 Pro-Tune - $350 approx - 50hp/tq gain

Now, things like the spacers, top-mount, injectors and BCS will not exactly equal power themselves, but they will combined compliment the power mods and in some case be necessary (i.e. injectors for E85 tune).

My plan a few weeks ago was to do the IM and TGVs, GS bcs, and maybe injectors with a Pro-Tune. I recently had my car dyno'd and lightly re-tuned because my tuner said he just couldn't let me drive out of there running such a bad map (XPT). I talked to him at length about many possible upgrades and he said one of the biggest power mods I can do for my car is a simple E85 tune. He said with that alone he could get me about 50hp/tq more than I currently have (223/230).

So my plans changed, and I'm considering ditching the IM and TGVs idea for now and going with this setup:

Modded injectors
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    E85 tune

With the BCS, my power curve and boost levels would be a lot more smooth, and with the E85 my car will keep up with and maybe pass up many a stock STi

Ideally, yes, I would want to gather up as many mods as possible and do them all at once and then get a tune for them all and then go when you step on the gas.

The problem I sort of run into with the IM/TGVs idea is not only the wait time (2-3 weeks out for PnP services) but also the labor time to either do the job myself (cross fingers) or pay someone to do it. And in the end I would net less of a power increase than E85 alone. I am not comfortable doing the job myself, and I found a local guy who would do it for about $200 which is a steal... but I am at a crossroad and I need some opinions

If I do the IM/TGV route, I can almost absolutely rule out an E85 tune, at least for the winter months here in CO. They say with the TGV deletes alone you will have trouble starting in cold weather, and E85 on top of that will make it even worse. I like the feeling that when I go out to my car, it will start every time

So, considering I have some parts already in my possession, the total for the IM/TGV job comes to about $943. The injectors/E85 route comes to less than $700. Maybe it seems like a no-brainer to some of you guys, but it's a tough decision for me! I don't want the hassle of E85's availability, but I do want the power

I'm not 100% on how the stock TMIC will hold up to either of these mod plans, but I had planned on upgrading it sometime very soon anyways. I figure it has to be good for something.

Eibach camber bolts should be here with the next day or two and so hopefully I can do the springs/bolts/brake line job this week. I'll try to take some pics.

Lastly, I'll hopefully be replacing my cracked windshield soon. That should at least decrease the daily annoyance factor. I am apparently trying to set a record on how long I will let my windshield go before I lose my mind.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 07-05-2009 at 05:49 PM.

go with the E85 tune. You can always get the tuner to make a second, mild pump gas map. It shouldnt cost much more, as it would just be a mild

You'll make good gains, but it wont be 50hp i promise you. There's no way your going to put close to 270 to the wheels down at a mile high.

It will however be a much more significant gain than the intake manifold and TGV deletes.

What other kind of turbos are you looking at?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

where are you going for the e85 tune.. speedy rupair does it in aurora. its a real good place and the people are very cool they have a 06 wagon running that tune wit vf39 turbo and tbe putting down close to 317 well a mile high. its off hampden and tower in aurora
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    What other kind of turbos are you looking at?
    Right now I'm not looking at any turbos. I figure I already have one, so why upgrade until it's maxed out
    But to answer your question, I have considered a VF39/43/48 or a TD05 or something.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    where are you going for the e85 tune.. speedy rupair does it in aurora. its a real good place and the people are very cool they have a 06 wagon running that tune wit vf39 turbo and tbe putting down close to 317 well a mile high. its off hampden and tower in aurora
    I will probably stick with Mac Autosports since they have impressed me thus far. I don't want to switch tuners because I keep getting different information from each one of them. I guess they all have their way of doing things... Mac tunes a lot of vehicles for E85 though, so I trust they know what they're talking about.

thats cool man i got my last tune from racing trendz off of evans in denver. they are pricy though when i get back frm iraq i think im gona look for another tuner.
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Wrinklechops
    thats cool man i got my last tune from racing trendz off of evans in denver. they are pricy though when i get back frm iraq i think im gona look for another tuner.
    From the little I know, the top 3 tuners in the state are Harvey up in Boulder at Super Ruupair, Nick at Mac Autosports, and Adam at Revolutions down in the Springs. I haven't heard much about Racing Trenz but they look a little run down for what they charge people

What branch/unit are you in? Or are you in Iraq right now? That's how I bought my car: deployment $

i am security forces air force so when i deploy i get attached to the army. this is my third time and last im getting out next march. i am in training right now. 45 day convoy and urben ops training down in nevada after i finish i go enroute to iraq. my second deployment is what i used to buy my wag. this deployment is for goodies and plan b for when i get out. what branch were you
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Wrinklechops
    i am security forces air force so when i deploy i get attached to the army. this is my third time and last im getting out next march. i am in training right now. 45 day convoy and urben ops training down in nevada after i finish i go enroute to iraq. my second deployment is what i used to buy my wag. this deployment is for goodies and plan b for when i get out. what branch were you
    So you're a flyboy outta Buckley probably, eh? Lol jk man I was an Army MP so right along the same line of work as you probably. Stay safe man, but you already knew that.