Drive by wire? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Drive by wire? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...scooby... ...scobby... ?? I feel like Eddie Murphy on SNL "It's Sooby Damnit" ...or Shane is fine too Glad that ...

...scooby...

...scobby...

??

I feel like Eddie Murphy on SNL

"It's Sooby Damnit"

...or Shane is fine too

Glad that made it there OK!! GL
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sorry man. i just thought scooby for some reason i guess. anyway, yeah, it didn't fix it. i went on a short little drive a second ago and the rpms still rise sometimes when i let off the gas under boost. it seemed like your bpv was louder than mine though strangely enough. i think i may have an exhaust leak somewhere also but not sure. if i am driving with no boost right before 10 inHg the turbo or exhaust seems to make a flittering sound. sounds like an exhaust leak but im not sure. it's high pitched like the spool of the turbo but not smooth sounding. or since my elevation is so low do you think i should adjust the wg? could either of those be causing the rpm rise? also, i am getting worse gas mileage than my lifted jeep with 4.56 gears??? and i smell gas every now and then. but it for sure isn't cold outside so i don't know if that tsb pertains to me? i know this is a lot at the end of a thread that wasn't about any of the things i just mentioned so i may start a new thread for the new discoveries.
    Last edited by chattownsubie; 06-03-2009 at 09:43 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the problem is more closer to what Sinister described............
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by chattownsubie View Post
    sorry man. i just thought scooby for some reason i guess.
    NP...I was totally screwing around

Quote Originally Posted by chattownsubie View Post
    anyway, yeah, it didn't fix it. i went on a short little drive a second ago and the rpms still rise sometimes when i let off the gas under boost. it seemed like your bpv was louder than mine though strangely enough. i think i may have an exhaust leak somewhere also but not sure. if i am driving with no boost right before 10 inHg the turbo or exhaust seems to make a flittering sound. sounds like an exhaust leak but im not sure. it's high pitched like the spool of the turbo but not smooth sounding. or since my elevation is so low do you think i should adjust the wg? could either of those be causing the rpm rise? also, i am getting worse gas mileage than my lifted jeep with 4.56 gears??? and i smell gas every now and then. but it for sure isn't cold outside so i don't know if that tsb pertains to me? i know this is a lot at the end of a thread that wasn't about any of the things i just mentioned so i may start a new thread for the new discoveries.
    Oh well with the BPV...it was a quick, easy test so at least you've ruled that out as the issue now.

If you start a new thread, link to it so I can follow along.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I think the problem is more closer to what Sinister described............
    I hate to agree with someone agreeing with me.. but I guess I agree...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

it's good to agree with someone who agrees with what you agree to agree on in the first place...thanks again Shane. i will take your bpv off and send it back hopefully tomorrow. if not tomorrow then friday. i guess it could just be my technique and i need to get used to it but my cobra was way more rev happy than the rex and had a fidanza flywheel and it never did this. and it bothers me that it is some of the time. i think i could deal with it better if it was always. anyway, thanks a ton for everyones input and borrowed parts Shane.

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Quote Originally Posted by Sooby-Doo View Post
    I'm going to be in TN for Bonnaroo in 2 weeks and have no problem hunting you down if I don't get it back
    Totally out of what's going on, but is it true they don't have showers??
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    I didn't think that anyone in TN actually showered...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Not never. Just like maybe once a month..
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    lol...actually, they do have showers. There's an entire "city" setup with public showers, stores, restaurants, etc... They may not have during the initial years but for he last 3-4 they have.

You made me laugh either way

Well there's this other forum that I'm on, and someone mentioned bringing baby wipes because they didn't know if there would be showers. So I wanted to make sure.
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

1x2
    I've been watching this thread to see if it was the BOV; as that's not the case, and I've been whining about the same problem for several years (!), I had an idea. I think we're driving these cars badly.

Theory- the higher the load on the engine, the more gas it wastes. I'm guessing that there are cross-over points where dropping down into a lower gear to take the load off wastes more gas than upshifting and putting a little load on the engine.

Back before I had turbo'd cars, I always had a vacuum gauge installed, to watch the engine load and make sure I was in a gear that best matched minimized load while also minimizing the revs, so as not to waste gas but also to keep the strain off the motor.

I was thinking I have to drive the rex that way. So this weekend I reset the ECU and then drove all over town, looking for stop-and-go opportunities (that's a switch!). I kept the revs up and the vacuum high, like 10-20 in. In a couple spots I was into boost, and just when I was ready to upshift, I held the gas pedal for about a second, so that my rate of acceleration slowed, then shifted. I drove it that way for ~10 minutes and it ran like a dream. The revs dropped out of sight on every shift, gears matched on the upshifts- I loved it!

Then I purposely started driving like I used to, ignoring the vacuum, always selecting the highest gear that I could cruise in, and the rev uptick came back within about 5 minutes- it learned that fast. After that, it didn't matter how I drove, the revs hung on every shift, and of course, the more load on the engine, the higher the rev uptick when I shifted.

So I drove home, reset the ECU and let it sit for an hour, then took the car out again. This time I watched the boost gauge like a hawk and drove "right" while doing some errands. Started up and shut off the car four times, drove home, went out again later and ran 3 more errands, had two good shots for running through the gears in boost, then back home. It runs like a champ with no rev uptick. HA! Only took me 5 1/2 years to learn how to drive this car. But now I love it!

I have no doubt that a lot of guys drive their WRXs somewhat more spiritedly than I had, so have never seen this, and I'm not sure what else may be contributing to the condition that others may not be subject to, but it seems fixed for now.

1x2
    Last edited by 1x2; 06-07-2009 at 11:15 PM.

so, when you shifted what rpm's were you at and when you reset the ECU did set it to stock? i am running a stage 2 so i am guessing i could reset to stock and then back to stage 2?

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by Donkey; 06-08-2009 at 06:24 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

1x2
    chattownsubie,

Under boost I shifted at ~4500rpm (speed limit was 55- must take care). Out of boost I shifted all over the place (was testing), but always >= 2,500 rpm on the successful part of the test. I made sure that when I was out of boost that I was running lots of vacuum as said above and I didn't pay much attention to the rev count, but I started shifting under load and the ECU relearned to burn the extra fuel (=overrev condition) it didn't matter what rpms I shifted at.

Sorry I can't help with the mods part- I'm at stage 0 (stock), so yes, it went right "back" to stock and of course I have no clue what you'll get with whatever map you're using. My bet is though, that the maps don't address this overrev issue. Since the car has this accelerator hiccup and it was SO irritating, I wouldn't put on mod 1 on it. Now it's a different story; I'll actually start considering things.

Donkey- read those threads; there are more where that came from, and some on this board. One or more of the posters in your links saw the problem 2-3 and 3-4, which is interesting. I was seeing the overrev on the 1-2 shift also, the lower the revs when I started the upshift, the higher the surge, but I was shifting at or below 2500 rpm, so I think I'd taught the ECU that I was NEVER going to burn off the extra gas.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this next idea, but I think after a certain amount of pedal, the ECU sees some limit it understands as "maximum urgency" and after that point (wherever it is) it doesn't matter how much more gas you try to cram into the cylinders, it's not going to do you any good in terms of acceleration. So the "fun to come" with driving this thing will be to feel where these sweet spots are and drive just at or under them.

I've read lots of warnings against constantly resetting the ECU, but I think I've seen how fast the ECU learns, and my bet is that it knows the big items, like the (octane and what additives are present) quality of gas I'm using before I'm out of the driveway. All by way of saying that I'm not reticent in the least for resetting the ECU.

BTW, I've never had a cel in the 5 1/2 years I've owned it.

1x2
    Last edited by 1x2; 06-08-2009 at 12:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.