Adiusting wastegate actuator arm works yes or no
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Adiusting wastegate actuator arm works yes or no within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok i have a 06 wrx wagon have i have read alot on the subject, and im confused now ive ...

Adiusting wastegate actuator arm works yes or no

Ok i have a 06 wrx wagon have i have read alot on the subject, and im confused now ive read to get more boost turn the arm clockwise... now heres the million doller question is that to the right ? or to the left .. if the were a clock in my engine bay would it be on the fire wall or in the front? some one told me to make the arm longer and ive read u tighen the arm .... and has any 1 seen real permormance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Jebus ...............leave your car alone unless you know what your doing.If you would have completely read the boost faq I posted for you this question would not need to be asked.......
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

o im sorry i thought this was a web site for people that wanted to know about there cars and how to make them faster i guess i got the wrong one

You are in the right place, but simple questions get flamed a lot. If you search the question a bit (wastegate actuator ... copy paste it into the search pane).

You will find a lot of info.

Also, no-one here will tell you how to make your car faster. They will tell you how to make more power, which will make your car faster. No one wants to be sued for showing a stranger a method of killing themselves.

You will want to turn it to the right to extend the arm. This is to the right while leaning into the hood with your wrench in hand, standing over the turbo facing the back of the car.

Don't do this without a boost gauge. You can destroy your turbo with too much of an adjustment. Also, these actuators are made of cheap stamped steel and have low grade steel arms with soft threading. This means it will turn even if it is rusty, but try half a turn at a time, and be gentle yet sure with the wrench. Make sure it does not slip, and do not over-adjust!

You ought to look into adjustable actuators, also.

I am presently researching this, and found one made by Forge.

VR Speed Factory - EVO, DSM & WRX Performance Parts - Wastegates & Actuators - Forge Adjustable Wastegate Actuator : 02 - 07 Subaru WRX & STi (TD04 / TD05)

check out the link. it's shiny, and fresh lookin', but it won't make power... it does show how they are made, very clearly. That should at least get your present mechanisms adjusted how you want them.

Don't let a few flames wreck your fun. There are professional mechanics and racers here, some are patient, and will help, others will not be so flexible, they will get frustrated by your 'newness' to the sport.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    You are in the right place, but simple questions get flamed a lot. If you search the question a bit (wastegate actuator ... copy paste it into the search pane).

You will find a lot of info.

Also, no-one here will tell you how to make your car faster. They will tell you how to make more power, which will make your car faster. No one wants to be sued for showing a stranger a method of killing themselves.

You will want to turn it to the right to extend the arm. This is to the right while leaning into the hood with your wrench in hand, standing over the turbo facing the back of the car.

Don't do this without a boost gauge. You can destroy your turbo with too much of an adjustment. Also, these actuators are made of cheap stamped steel and have low grade steel arms with soft threading. This means it will turn even if it is rusty, but try half a turn at a time, and be gentle yet sure with the wrench. Make sure it does not slip, and do not over-adjust!

You ought to look into adjustable actuators, also.

I am presently researching this, and found one made by Forge.

VR Speed Factory - EVO, DSM & WRX Performance Parts - Wastegates & Actuators - Forge Adjustable Wastegate Actuator : 02 - 07 Subaru WRX & STi (TD04 / TD05)

check out the link. it's shiny, and fresh lookin', but it won't make power... it does show how they are made, very clearly. That should at least get your present mechanisms adjusted how you want them.

Don't let a few flames wreck your fun. There are professional mechanics and racers here, some are patient, and will help, others will not be so flexible, they will get frustrated by your 'newness' to the sport.
    Okay......for the last time ,adjusting the wastegate actuator preload does not change your max boost level on these cars.If you don't know what your talking about posting misinformation doesn't help either.I know your trying to help but you really have no idea what your talking about.....
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-13-2009 at 07:57 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

"check out the link. it's shiny, and fresh lookin', but it won't make power... it does show how they are made, very clearly. That should at least get your present mechanisms adjusted how you want them.

Don't let a few flames wreck your fun. There are professional mechanics and racers here, some are patient, and will help, others will not be so flexible, they will get frustrated by your 'newness' to the sport. "

"Okay......for the last time ,adjusting the wastegate actuator preload does not change your max boost level on these cars.If you don't know what your talking about posting misinformation doesn't help either.I know your trying to help but you really have no idea what your talking about....."

Dude, you really need to read the whole thing and shut up for a minute. Following me around and flaming everything I write in any thread here is going to get you into trouble.

I stated clearly that adjusting the wastegate actuator is not going to make power.

I Support ClubWRX
    I stated clearly that adjusting the wastegate actuator is not going to make power.
    First off this is not the first post the OP had made asking this question,second this exactly what the OP had posted.

"Ok i have a 06 wrx wagon have i have read alot on the subject, and im confused now ive read to get more boost turn the arm clockwise"

and this is what you replied

"Don't do this without a boost gauge. You can destroy your turbo with too much of an adjustment."

This is bad info.This is not how you adjust the boost limit on these cars.I can post where ever I want too.Do you think your helping him by giving him misinformation?In his first thread I gave him links to the NASIOC boost FAQ's and Cobb's "How Subaru's boost control sytem works".Maybe I should post it for you too..................
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

You are hilarious.

Flame on, Slappy!

I Support ClubWRX
    Well why don't you explain why he would need a boost gauge to adjust it?Why would it destroy his turbo?
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Any adjusting of the turbocharger should be done using something to monitor results. Ears and the butt dyno are not data collector enough.

Boost creep and spiking can occur if the wastegate does not open correctly, or is constantly open, which can occur if the actuator is not adjusted properly.

These two problems wear out a turbo quickly.

Not having a boost gauge is not going to destroy his turbo until he starts making changes to it and it's controls without having any way of seeing results. At that point, we will blame you if his turbo goes:

Hey, is everyone OK?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^You have it backwards anyways. You turn the end clockwise if you are facing toward the radiator, shortening the arm to increase boost (possibly). Too much and you can get creep or spiking. It really depends on whether you are hitting your boost target in the first place. Beyond that you will only be able to eek out a little bit.

From the boost control FAQ:

"If the rod coming out of the wastegate actuator is shortened, it will pre-load the spring inside the wastegate actuator increasing the pressure level at which the actuator will allow the wastegate valve to open and the total boost pressure that the turbo can generate will increase (as long as the turbo is still within its efficiency range). This pre-load will also limit how far the wastegate valve can open. Pre-loading (shortening) the wastegate actuator rod too much can potentially create a mechanical boost creep issue that cannot be tuned out. If the wastegate actuator rod is lengthened, the actuator will decrease the load on the spring and decrease the pressure level at which the actuator will open and the total boost pressure the turbo can generate will decrease."
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Any adjusting of the turbocharger should be done using something to monitor results. Ears and the butt dyno are not data collector enough.
    Why should he need to monitor?Adjusting the wastegate accuator sounds safe as it won't make more "power" right?Nothing should change.

Boost creep and spiking can occur if the wastegate does not open correctly, or is constantly open, which can occur if the actuator is not adjusted properly.
    If the wastegate is constantly open it will get basically 0 boost,which is kinda impossible unless the actuator has been removed and really isn't a concern.Would you agree?

These two problems wear out a turbo quickly.
    Eh.....depends.If he is spiking to 19psi for a second or two is that going to wear out the turbo?Not the stock 13T it won't.That turbo is good for almost 24psi and alot of people run 19-20psi as their daily max boost.

Not having a boost gauge is not going to destroy his turbo until he starts making changes to it and it's controls without having any way of seeing results

. At that point, we will blame you if his turbo goes:
    I wouldn't be worried about the turbo,it's the engine really.The stock tuning is only scaled for the stock boost levels.This is what people don't understand.This is why engine management is so important.It rescales the stock tables for higher loads.If you over run the stock mapping then the ECU will just either stick with the last value.And if your saying with won't give him any more "power" well when I turn up the boost on my car it seems to go faster and have more power.Would you not agree?I mean obviously the boost is going up with all that spicking,creeping and overboosting right?Sounds like if I just get a boost gauge I can tune my actuator right to make more boost at some point?This would be my point with your post.There is no need to touch the actuator unless you are retuning for higher boost using a boost control solenoid and you are getting boost flucuations/hunting.I said what I said in my first post because clearly all of this info is way above the OP's head and I pointed him to two sources of info that explained the purpose of the acuator,how it is used in conjunction with a boost solenoid and to leave it alone unless you know what your doing especially on the 06+ WRX's which are very sensitive.
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-13-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

It is about the most simple thing there is.

If you are going to do anything to your turbo, get a boost gauge. It is cheaper than most of a turbo's parts.

It is totally stupid to alter an engine component with no knowledge of it's result. A new battery, fine. A new exhaust, fine. Any dress up in the engine compartment is fine, as long as it does not change it's operating parameters.

Since this is borderline 'off-topic', I am going to take the "observer" position here, since the FACTS I stated are being argued.

Get a boost gauge. That's my advice. If there is something seriously wrong with the operation of a turbo, it will show.

I Support ClubWRX
    It is about the most simple thing there is.

If you are going to do anything to your turbo, get a boost gauge. It is cheaper than most of a turbo's parts.

It is totally stupid to alter an engine component with no knowledge of it's result.
    Or if you have no idea why your even doing it or how the component works

A new battery, fine. A new exhaust, fine. Any dress up in the engine compartment is fine, as long as it does not change it's operating parameters.

Since this is borderline 'off-topic', I am going to take the "observer" position here, since the FACTS I stated are being argued.

Get a boost gauge. That's my advice. If there is something seriously wrong with the operation of a turbo, it will show.Now thats good advice!
    The problem is your FACTS are skewed.No offense but you didn't even know what turbo you had or if it was internal or external wastegate 4 months ago.........
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-13-2009 at 10:29 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.