P0457 EVAP LEAK DETECTED - need some extra help on this one

This is a discussion on P0457 EVAP LEAK DETECTED - need some extra help on this one within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have read a lot of information out there on this code. NASIOC, here, IWSTI, etc, and was up till ...

Wrinklechops

P0457 EVAP LEAK DETECTED - need some extra help on this one

I have read a lot of information out there on this code. NASIOC, here, IWSTI, etc, and was up till 3am trying to figure this out one. The checklist I followed today is:

• “Charcoal canister” wires rear passenger wheel well

- there are so many wires/hoses I'm not sure what to look for here? They all look OK and as intact as they could be maybe? Some are gunky and dirty as hell, but nothing looks melted or whatever? Does anyone have a picture of what to look for in this area specifically? Perhaps a picture of the wires/hoses that were melted or something?

• Gas cap

- feels just like it always has, I guess. I tighten it down and try to wiggle it a bit to check the tightness, and it wiggles a little bit but I figure it's always done that. It's just the top part that wiggles, and the seal seems OK...

• Rubber gasket seal

- bought one from SubaruGenuineParts.com || Where Genuine is Better! last night because I figured this really might be the main problem. I recently just installed a Walbro fuel pump and a new fuel filter on my car (05 WRX) because I just hit 60k. I didn't get the rubber gasket because I was El Cheapo and I might just be paying for it now. Today I took off the cover again though, unscrewed the top, and pulled up on the little rubber plugs on the gasket to try to seat it down better this time and then tightened everything down again.

• Plug in the green d-check connectors and make sure it is clicking

- not sure what is being referred to here?

• Also check all the EVAP hoses that connect to the canister purge valve under the intake manifold and make sure none of them have popped off, specifically the blue vacuum tee behind the alternator

- I'm guessing the canister purge valve is for pre-2005 owners with the fuel filter under the hood as opposed to what I'm dealing with - my filter is in the tank with the pump. I did check that the blue vacuum T fitting was fine as well as many other hoses/lines.

Suggestions? I reset my ECU just now, and we'll see how long it takes for the code to show up again. Hopefully my gasket will come in the mail shortly.

I am getting a pretty strong fuel type smell in the car, and I'm going through a lot of gas it seems.

Talk to me guys.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 05-10-2009 at 03:20 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well the evap solenoid has a vacuum hose on it that connects to the blue vacuum coupling.Its bolted to the front of the intake manifold by the turbo inlet and all 2.0L WRX's have them.I'm sure it has to do with the recent fuel pump swap..................
    Last edited by Donkey; 05-10-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Well the evap solenoid has a vacuum hose on it that connects to the blue vacuum coupling.Its bolted to the front of the intake manifold by the turbo inlet and all 2.0L WRX's have them.I'm sure it has to do with the recent fuel pump swap..................
    OK so you're referring to the line that comes off of the rear of the blue coupling and goes....somewhere I can't really see, down and into some darkness and a tight area... Or are you referring to the line that comes off the blue coupling and goes forward and upwards? I tried to find a picture, but I couldn't. If I never messed with this line or the inlet hose or anything in that vicinity, the pressure of the Walbro pump could have popped something loose or....? I mean, is that sorta what you were suggesting?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    OK so you're referring to the line that comes off of the rear of the blue coupling and goes....somewhere I can't really see, down and into some darkness and a tight area... Or are you referring to the line that comes off the blue coupling and goes forward and upwards? I tried to find a picture, but I couldn't. If I never messed with this line or the inlet hose or anything in that vicinity, the pressure of the Walbro pump could have popped something loose or....? I mean, is that sorta what you were suggesting?
    Ummm....no.I'm just saying your car does have an evap solenoid/canister purge valve.Looks like this(pulled these off of NASIOC):

located here:

What the hell is the pump gonna pop loose besides a fuel line?Evap hoses are nothing but for carrying gas fumes and use the engines vacuum to do that.No offense but you are becoming one huge Nervous Nelly.This might be of use........... Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S