CX Racing TMIC

This is a discussion on CX Racing TMIC within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I just installed a CXracing TMIC and figured I would share my experience. I wasent able to find ...

CX Racing TMIC

Hey guys, I just installed a CXracing TMIC and figured I would share my experience. I wasent able to find particulars anywhere else so I figured I would.
    Got the TMIC + y-pipe kit from ebay for 210 shipped buy-it-now.
    Package Arrived in perfect condition and pretty well packed. Intercooler is friggen huge. I have seen threads and am aware that some "ebay TMIC's" don't have as dense of a fin pattern internally as some of the more expensive (read 2-4x more expensive) Tmic's. The fin density on the CXracing TMIC is about in the middle. It is not as dense as some of the top dollar TMIC's but from looking at pics its not bad like some of the other ebay TMICs. Fitment was good, but its not "bolt in and go." First off its just a huge TMIC going into a tiny hole, thats the biggest problem. Another problem was that I have a GFB hybrid BPV and its longer than the OE unit. This caused me to have to shim the drivers side bracket up to clear the intake manifold. This was a pain in the butt, but with some paitence its fine. Another thing was that I had to actually position the TMIC so far back to clear my GFB BPV that the factory TB to TMIC hose was too short. I work at a ford dealer and was able to use a charge-air cooler hose from a 6.0 powerstroke to make up the gap. This shouldn't be an issue with a stock BPV. Other than that I had to grind away some material on the drivers side bracket where it turns, it was touching the TMIC and I didn't want it to rub over time. The cooler is close to the a/c line leading to the evaporator, it is also close to the brake line coming over from the master cyl. Although close I can not get it to touch either with any ammount of rocking back and forth. I went ahead and cut a piece of heater hose and tie-strapped it around the a/c line as a precaution. Overall it was not bad to install, just need alittle time. Car actually feels much different with a OTS stage 2 ap flash. I have never been able to hit target boost even with cobb's hwg maps, I now hit target boost no problem. Car spool seems alittle more responsive but not really faster. Also brings out the turbo sounds more. For 210 dollars it was not a bad upgrade. The real reason for me doing it was my factory y pipe was cracking near the turbo.

I will take a pic with a real cam, until then crappy phone pics

Last edited by TrackReady; 04-20-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Looks decent man. Were you having problems hitting target boost with Stage 2 on the regular AP map, then you switched to the HWG and still couldn't hit target boost?

Did you narrow it down to the y-pipe crack being the problem? I mean, obviously that is a problem and would need to be addressed regardless, but I'm still curious. Did you try wastegate arm adjustments at all?

I just flashed to Stage 2 as well, and can't hit target boost either. Highest I hit last night was 13.64psi. Something's up with that. I think I want to try the HWG map, I'm just checking around to see if anyone has anything good/bad to say about it.

I Support ClubWRX
    CXRacing / SSAC / XSPower / CSS

All the same
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

i see its been a few months since you installed it. How is it treating you? Any leaks or problems? Installation seems kind of a pain in the ****. I have a cxracing radiator so I started looking at their tmic.

hey i grabbed an ebay tmic myself. the y pipe came too small for mine also, wher can i grab a bigger one

Well guys, its been several months since my TMIC install and I am glad to say all is well. I never did get around to taking better pics, I might if I can make myself remember. I am very happy with this tmic, it really seems to keep the car responsive feeling in the heat unlike the stock unit. All and all I would say that if you can find a OEM STI tmic for about the same price it would be an easier install, but for the money its a sound upgrade and keeps the temps sane on hot days.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The CX Racing intercooler is the same one that's on eBay for $94 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Looks decent man. Were you having problems hitting target boost with Stage 2 on the regular AP map, then you switched to the HWG and still couldn't hit target boost?

Did you narrow it down to the y-pipe crack being the problem? I mean, obviously that is a problem and would need to be addressed regardless, but I'm still curious. Did you try wastegate arm adjustments at all?

I just flashed to Stage 2 as well, and can't hit target boost either. Highest I hit last night was 13.64psi. Something's up with that. I think I want to try the HWG map, I'm just checking around to see if anyone has anything good/bad to say about it.
    On you COBB Stage 2, is your target boost 17.5psi? If so, I assume you have a 3" turbo back exhaust with a bell-mouth downpipe correct? I have an 05 STi and on the regular 93oct map I hit my target fine (17.5~18psi). On the HWG map i spike to about 20 psi before tapering to 18ish.