Exhaust mating?

This is a discussion on Exhaust mating? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I used to have the Greddy Evo2 on my car until the midpipe got destroyed. I saved the axle-back but ...

Exhaust mating?

I used to have the Greddy Evo2 on my car until the midpipe got destroyed. I saved the axle-back but just threw it in the garage and bought a new exhaust.

The new exhaust (my current exhaust) is a Bosal Dual-Tip 3" cat-back. After nearly 2 years with this exhaust it's just too loud for me on my catless setup since a do a good deal of highway driving.

Because the Evo2 is more quiet I am thinking of keeping my bosal mid-pipe on the car from my dual-tip setup and switching out the Bosal axle-back for my Evo2 axle-back... Effectively have an HKS downpipe mate to a bosal mid-pipe which then mates to an Evo2 axle-back.

I am also considering using the Bosal mid-pipe and my STOCK OEM wrx cat-back. This setup I am more worried about seeing as the axle-back may be fairly restrictive and won't work well with the tune on my car that was done with a full 3" exhaust system. I am also worried about the fitment between the 2 pieces (stock axle-back and bosal mid-pipe).

Will this work? I am not sure if there would be fitment issues here or if this would compromise the way my car performs on it's tune. It was dyno tuned last year at a local shop with the bosal exhaust on at the time.

Thanks

- DTR
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the flanges may not mate up. You might have to modify the Evo2 pipe/flange in order to get it to mate up. Nobody can really tell u if it'll work or not unless u take off the Bosal axleback and put on the Evo2 axleback to see if they mate up to the Bosal midpipe.

I had the same (or rather opposite) problem as you. I have a full Hks tbe in jdm length. The catback I have is the Hi Power Silent version and I thought it was too quiet (like stock). I decided to buy the usdm length Hks Hi Power and was going to modify it to fit the jdm dp. But the 2 axlebacks (pic below) was exactly the same length so I thought it would fit the jdm midpipe. Hooked it up and the flange of the usdm Hi Power was not at the same angle as the midpipe flange.

All it took was a trip to an exhaust shop, had them cut off the axleback flange, rotated, and then welded back on. It fits perfectly now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00919.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    the flanges may not mate up. You might have to modify the Evo2 pipe/flange in order to get it to mate up. Nobody can really tell u if it'll work or not unless u take off the Bosal axleback and put on the Evo2 axleback to see if they mate up to the Bosal midpipe.

I had the same (or rather opposite) problem as you. I have a full Hks tbe in jdm length. The catback I have is the Hi Power Silent version and I thought it was too quiet (like stock). I decided to buy the usdm length Hks Hi Power and was going to modify it to fit the jdm dp. But the 2 axlebacks (pic below) was exactly the same length so I thought it would fit the jdm midpipe. Hooked it up and the flange of the usdm Hi Power was not at the same angle as the midpipe flange.

All it took was a trip to an exhaust shop, had them cut off the axleback flange, rotated, and then welded back on. It fits perfectly now.
    Thanks for the info.

That might be too much work. I found a sale on SP2's for $440 shipped and might just have to shell out the cash.

What about the bosal mid-pipe and the stock axle-back? Would the restrictions of the stock axle-back not work well with my tune which was done on a full 3" setup?
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Thanks for the info.

That might be too much work. I found a sale on SP2's for $440 shipped and might just have to shell out the cash.

What about the bosal mid-pipe and the stock axle-back? Would the restrictions of the stock axle-back not work well with my tune which was done on a full 3" setup?
    Yah, the SP2's are probably cheap right now because they are being phased out/discontinued since the Greddy Spectrum Elite catbacks have came out. I remember Perrin's dual tip catback was around $700. About a month or two ago, they were selling them for $350 brand new, since they were being discontinued.

Again, the stock axleback to the Bosal midpipe may not mate up. Your best bet is to just use trial and error.

It's always best to get a retune to maximize any changes in exhaust components. As for running the stock axleback/catback on your current tune, I would consult your tuner to make sure. You're going from 3 inch piping down to 2.25 inch on a restrictive muffler...

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    As for running the stock axleback/catback on your current tune, I would consult your tuner to make sure. You're going from 3 inch piping down to 2.25 inch on a restrictive muffler...
    I see. Yeah, it might not be best to take a car tuned for a 3" exhaust and throw on a 2.25" exhaust that has a muffler known for being restrictive.

I guess I'll just go for the Greddy SP2.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Remember to spay or neuter your exhaust before installing it. It's bad when there's lots of little wild exhausts running around, getting hit by cars, and making even more little wild exhausts...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that anymore.

If you want to use a stock WRX catback... Well, I've thought about that. If you've got a 3" TBE, and want to run a silent exhaust out the end, it might be worth looking into getting a Y splitter, and putting two stock axlebacks on. Less restriction, and it would be nearly silent like stock.