Rod Knock?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Rod Knock? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Are the rod knock indications of bad a bearing a progressive noise? What I mean is, does it start quietly ...

Rod Knock?

Are the rod knock indications of bad a bearing a progressive noise? What I mean is, does it start quietly and intermittent then go to the loud knocking sounds over time.

When my car is cold and I start up I hear a bit of a knocking/slapping sound till the car warms up. I start the car and wait a bit till it goes away because I surmise that it is the oil getting circulated not actually a bad bearing.

Any thoughts? My car is a 02 wrx wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidusko View Post
    Are the rod knock indications of bad a bearing a progressive noise? What I mean is, does it start quietly and intermittent then go to the loud knocking sounds over time.

When my car is cold and I start up I hear a bit of a knocking/slapping sound till the car warms up. I start the car and wait a bit till it goes away because I surmise that it is the oil getting circulated not actually a bad bearing.

Any thoughts? My car is a 02 wrx wagon

Welcome to the club (of people like me with noisy boxer motors).

What you describe sounds like normal Subaru clatter to me. If it goes away when it warms up it is not worth paying attention to. Mine has been doing it for 60K.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I think the symptoms you are describing is called piston slap. Which is normal on Subaru engines.

Rod knock does not get better after it warms up. If you had Rod knock, you'd be in trouble.

If you had rod knock you would know it, feel it, and hear it. Rod Knock only gets louder as you try to drive the car, accelerate, etc. and it never stops until it is fixed.

This is an example of Rod Knock: YouTube - 2002 WRX - Rod knock (that video gives me chills like nails on a chalk board, please those with a sensitive stomach or kids in the room don't watch LOL).

I agree with the others....Since it goes away once the engine warms up it is piston slap.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 03-03-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
    If you had rod knock you would know it, feel it, and hear it. Rod Knock only gets louder as you try to drive the car, accelerate, etc. and it never stops until it is fixed.

This is an example of Rod Knock: YouTube - 2002 WRX - Rod knock (that video gives me chills like nails on a chalk board, please those with a sensitive stomach or kids in the room don't watch LOL).

I agree with the others....Since it goes away once the engine warms up it is piston slap.
    Oh is that what it sounds like? I think my lawn mower has rod knock then...
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Quote Originally Posted by Pactin View Post
    Oh is that what it sounds like? I think my lawn mower has rod knock then...
    Most people don't realize they need to change the oil in their lawn mowers at least once a year
    It's also a good idea to inspect the spark plug.

My Subaru sounded exactly like that one in the YouTube video, didn't start it or even look at it for 5 weeks. Just started it and gave it a bit of a revving seeing I was still mad at it, sounded awful then went bang and now the noise is almost gone but it's only running on three cylinders.. weird as, any Subaru geniuses out there know what could do that? Bust valves? Haven't looked at the cambelt yet but it was replaced 27000 k ago, I was convinced it was a rod bearing but I'm not sure now...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.