Best WRX mod?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Best WRX mod? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright so i have a 2002 WRX. its in great shape, but completely stock. i am looking to drop in ...

Question Best WRX mod?

Alright so i have a 2002 WRX. its in great shape, but completely stock. i am looking to drop in a good but serious mod into it, looking for a turbo kit, but looking to find out if i can find a kit that i can drop into my car and not have to buy anything else, and obviously the best "bang for my buck" kinda thing. if anyone could help that would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can't just slap a bigger turbo on, you will need tuning...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

yeah i understand that, im looking to find a whole kit, tuning is the last thing on my mind.

you will need tuning, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, uppipe (or gutted stocker), and turboback exhaust to get the airflow you need to make the turbo worth putting on. why not start with a cat-back and a tune?

Smile

Full exhaust and tune is actually quite nice in itself. I suggest starting there and continuing if you want to. Selecting an exhaust you like is difficult. I suggest considering your noise tolerance also before getting one... maybe think about a bit of sound deadening.

You should shop for a computer you can get tuned in your area. A good tuning/performance shop is hard to find, but you absolutely need one to do the job unless you are very wrench handy yourself.

The absolute best starting mod is tires, then brakes. The stock pads suck, and if you have a 2002 with mileage then rotors and pads may be in the cards.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

how much hp can a 02 wrx gain with a catback and headers, and does it need to be tune?
    can I install a blow off valve just for the sound or does it need to be tune also?
    "Take time to ponder which things you are most grateful for and which things are of greatest need in your life"

Quote Originally Posted by ajtoce View Post
    you will need tuning, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, uppipe (or gutted stocker), and turboback exhaust to get the airflow you need to make the turbo worth putting on. why not start with a cat-back and a tune?
    There is no need to get new injectors, fuel pump, and intercooler if you want to run a sti turbo such as a vf34, vf46, or vf48. Those mods will allow you to get some more power, but you will also be dropping a lot more coin. Best bang for your buck would be getting the turboback, gutting your stock up-pipe, finding a used turbo as mentioned above, and getting a good tune. If you can find all those parts used, then your looking at about $1000-$1200 with an open source tune. It will be more if you need to get a shop to put it all in.

XPT Stage 2

"Do you smell that? It smells like his clutch."
    "No, it's burnt rice."

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Botat1725 View Post
    There is no need to get new injectors, fuel pump, and intercooler if you want to run a sti turbo such as a vf34, vf46, or vf48. Those mods will allow you to get some more power, but you will also be dropping a lot more coin. Best bang for your buck would be getting the turboback, gutting your stock up-pipe, finding a used turbo as mentioned above, and getting a good tune. If you can find all those parts used, then your looking at about $1000-$1200 with an open source tune. It will be more if you need to get a shop to put it all in.
    He WILL need injectors and fuel pump for an STI turbo.
    Last edited by brfatal; 01-26-2009 at 08:52 AM.

02 wrx, best bang for the buck is a set/upgrade to mfactory gear set. Then start building power
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

I'd say get a full TBE, SRI/CAI (whichever), and the COBB Accessport then see how you like the car's performance from there. If you're really overzealous and have a 5MT, you could always upgrade the clutch and get a lightweight flywheel, like from ACT. That will help you put the power down earlier. I'd say start with that progression and see how you like it. The turbo, no matter which really, is going to need supporting mods of some sort (injectors ,fuel pump upgrade, etc.) and is very pricey. Your best bang for the buck would be the exhaust/ accessport/intake. If you're not sure of the brands to get or power/performance, you can look on NASIOC for the unabomber's manifesto...alot of good info...helped me out. Good luck and happy modding!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexdriver45689 View Post
    tuning is the last thing on my mind.
    tuning should be one of the first things on your mind. its one of the most important pieces to making your car perform to its full potential after all of your upgrades

you need to think about

- what method of tuning you want to pursue
    - if opensource, what tuner will you be going to
    - pricing for all of your choices.

to subierex, the route that you mentioned isnt really the best bang for your buck.

an accessport is 695 brand new, anywhere between 400-550 used (for a version2)

this is not cost efficient, especially when the OP can get a tatrix cable and internet tune for maybe 80 bucks or so.

also, since you have an 02, you will not only need a catback + downpipe, but you'll need an uppipe as well.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    tuning should be one of the first things on your mind. its one of the most important pieces to making your car perform to its full potential after all of your upgrades

you need to think about

- what method of tuning you want to pursue
    - if opensource, what tuner will you be going to
    - pricing for all of your choices.

to subierex, the route that you mentioned isnt really the best bang for your buck.

an accessport is 695 brand new, anywhere between 400-550 used (for a version2)

this is not cost efficient, especially when the OP can get a tatrix cable and internet tune for maybe 80 bucks or so.

also, since you have an 02, you will not only need a catback + downpipe, but you'll need an uppipe as well.
    Dont you have to worry about those tunes, I have heard some of them are not very safe. Any truth to this?
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

It depends who made the map. you can do your own tuning, but if you dont have experience with tuning, dont do it.

But with a reputable tuner, an OpenSource tune is very safe, and much cheaper(anywhere between 200-300 bucks depending on tuner) than going Accessport. Even if you have to drive a ways to a tuner who is known for their work, it's worth it. I drove almost 5 hours across NC to get my tune.

I couldn't find a good sticky here but read this.

BEFORE ANY more questions read through everyone of these.
    Hey everybody new to the forum: READ THIS! - NASIOC

Here are you best options.

Buy a turboback exhaust, Downpipe and catback.
    Buy an UpPipe (better to buy reputable on this one Per Fitment issues, not all but some)
    Pick up a tatrix cable.
    Go here:XPT Tuning, The XPT Tuning Online Store

And pick your poison.

Now some other notes of interest, please read EVERYTHING about reflashing your ecu, Romraider.com is a good start. There are ups and downs to it, if you mess up and dont read, try flashing the wrong rom or anything similar it will cost you a new ecu.

I've been flashing my ecu for a year, and doing my own tuning now, however I did start with an XPT Stage 2 map.

A GM boost control solenoid really helps and should be considered before buying the map (as you will need a new map for it)

Some things to consider, WRX's are very finicky, 02-03 will survive with "exhaust" modifications and no tune, but you won't gain any benefit (about 5whp from 3k to redline) without a tune. People will argue but a road dyno will prove them wrong every time.

Bigger things such as a turbo NEED a tune or you won't have a healthy WRX for very long.

Other points to note, you as well as I have a weak gearbox (weakest 5 speed put in the WRX's) any beating on Stock+ Power you will be replacing it. Keeping your shifts slow and smooth and NOT launching it will greatly increase your transmissions life.

Start small and go big is your best bet. A XPT tune (VERY VERY Safe and consistent) will net you around 230whp and 240 wtq depending on elevation and temps.

Once you are very familiar go from there, but don't just put a big turbo on it and shoot for the moon, or you'll probably be walking.

BOV's are not a good thing, if you want the sound buy a Boosted Honda or run Blow Through Maf setup or Speed Density (no luck for 16bit to run SD)

Basically an accessport and utec (to me) are somewhat of a waste as the AP is just a flash tool (what your laptop would be with a cable) and the Utec is a piggy back (it does have some nice features but not worth the price IMO)

Just read read read before you spend a $.01 because you will regret it if you don't.

-Jerod
    Bugeye Mafia #157
    18g + 205 + E = 12.07@116

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ FYI, GM discontinued part of the GM solenoid.

The alternatives are made by Prodrive, Grimmspeed (not sure if it's on their site yet), or Perrin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.