2.5'' Downpipe Options
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2.5'' Downpipe Options within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How man full catless downpipes that taper to 2.5'' are there really on the market. It seems that not a ...

2.5'' Downpipe Options

How man full catless downpipes that taper to 2.5'' are there really on the market. It seems that not a whole lot of people make these, all i can really find are 3''. I want to eliminate both cats in my downpipe but also have this system bolt up to my Blitz Nur Spec RX exhaust which tapers to 2.5'' at the downpipe.

I am not super intersted in going full 3'' exhaust now becasue I only want to take my car stage 2, and i have read that if your are pushing under 300-350 hp 2.5'' is fine.

I also dont want to buy a whole new exhaust system because I just bought this Blitz RX catback system and really like it.

I have also been told that I can modify by Blitz exhaust to fit a 3'' flange, but that would requier a few hourse of a shop's work and at 100/hr thats not cheap...

Thanks
    Fresh into a Suby...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im not really sure of any exhaust that taper, i would just get the 3inch and hack up the catback to fit to the 3inch downpipe, wouldnt be too much work
    05 WRX Wagon *SOLD*

99 Civic SI *ITR 5 Lug-16x8 Dunlop CP-R's* *SOLD*

2010 Tacoma 6-Speed *SOLD*

2007 WRB STi

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Scoobysport's downpipe tapers to 2.5"

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb DP will mate to OEM CBE
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ray

what is beter a 3" bell or 4.5" bell on a 08 wrx

DUB
    or you could get a catless shorty that tapers then get a 2.5" race pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by ramonsalvador08 View Post
    3 Inch, 4.5 is just extreamly unnecessary and you will loss a ton of back preasure.
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by ramonsalvador08 View Post
    Ray, I think you're confused. There is no such thing as a 3" bell.

jpjester, There is no such thing as a 4.5" exhaust system. It's only 4.5" at the turbo.

There are three types of Downpipe inputs (the part that attaches to the turbo).
    1. Bellmouth (4.5")
    2. Divorced (4.5" or 3" + 2")
    3. Non-bellmouth (3" pipe)

Here is Invidia's explanation on JCSpeeds' website
    Divorced vs. Bellmouth:
    Divorced: A divorced wastegate downpipe has a plate the protrudes into the turbo to separate exhaust flow coming out of the turbo to give reduce turbulence. This is good for stock and smaller turbochargers; the protrusion does not work with some aftermarket turbos (i.e APS).
    Bellmouth: This design has a wide-open bell at the turbo, which is better for larger turbochargers with more flow. It will work fine with a stock or small turbo, but it is designed for scenarios where wastegate turbulence is not an issue.

The diagram to the right is a stock WRX turbo, so you can see how the turbocharger interacts with the Bellmouth and Divorced Invidia downpipe designs.
    This thread has pictures of the Non-bellmouth type.
    Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]

Edit : Sorry for the Hijack.
    The Cobb downpipe tapers to 2.5".
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 11-05-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: More info.

Well the only problem with the Cobb is the price and the fact that it is catted. Is there any real advantage to get it chopped to a full 3'' rather than searching more for a full catless 2.5'' tapered downpipe?

I know there are MANY more full 3'' downpipes to choose from, and the 2.5'' tapers are more expensive as well...

Yall think its worth it to chop it to 3''? And what type of shop should I look for in my area? I would not trust just any old muffler shop to start chopping up my exhaust...
    Fresh into a Suby...

Quote Originally Posted by SubyDude05 View Post
    Well the only problem with the Cobb is the price and the fact that it is catted. Is there any real advantage to get it chopped to a full 3'' rather than searching more for a full catless 2.5'' tapered downpipe?
    Yall think its worth it to chop it to 3''? And what type of shop should I look for in my area? I would not trust just any old muffler shop to start chopping up my exhaust...
    Cobb also sells an uncatted version for $100 less. What exactly are you going to "chop" to 3"? I don't understand how you propose to modify your exhaust.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    What exactly are you going to "chop" to 3"? I don't understand how you propose to modify your exhaust.....
    I'd assume he was referring to cutting the section of the exhaust that tapers to the 2.5" donut flange and welding a new (non-tapered) piece on, with a 3" flat flange.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by SubyDude05 View Post

I know there are MANY more full 3'' downpipes to choose from, and the 2.5'' tapers are more expensive as well...

u will get more top end going full 3 inch, but is it worth modifying your catback? Probably not. Going to a muffler shop to chop off the 2.5 inch area and welding a 3 inch won't be terribly expensive (probably run u around $100 give or take).

I would just leave it as is and find a tapering downpipe.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.