need help with MBC

This is a discussion on need help with MBC within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello. I recently ordered a Manual Boost Controller off of ebay for and it didnt come with any instructions. ...

need help with MBC

Hello. I recently ordered a Manual Boost Controller off of ebay for $20 and it didnt come with any instructions. I looked at the TurboXS instructions and other and kinda made an educated guess on how to install it. i test drove it and the boost is inconsistent. it drops boost and then gains it back rapidly. this picture shows how it is put in. any suggestions would be great. thx everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00780.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It might just be your 20 dollar part is crap.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    id go with that it looks like a bad knock off of the hallman mbc. the name brand simple mbcs are like 80$ shipped off jscspeed.com u should just picked up one of them if you were gonna get one. IMO eBay might be the cheap way but its deff not the best buy parts with good feedback on them that you know will work
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

$20 MBC=boom bye bye motor.

MBC = BAD

Engine Mangement/Cobb AP, open source = Good.

MBCs have there place, and if tuned for properly they are fine, but w/o a tune you're playing with fire. You can't just turn up the boost w/o adding fuel, as its a good way to run too lean and grenade your engine.

Also, fill out your profile or at least tell us what year wrx you have and your mods when asking a question.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 09-29-2008 at 11:44 AM.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by vttk_mig69 View Post
    $20 MBC=boom bye bye motor. .
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
    MBC = BAD

Engine Mangement/Cobb AP, open source = Good..
    +3

Get rid of it.... period.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

ok. I am confused. I have read that 2002 wrx's react better to MBC's then other models because a diff in the ecu. and the stock turbo and fuel pump/injectors and stuff can support up to 14-15psi fine. Straighten me up on this plz. lol. I dont mind being wrong at all but I really thought I was doing right. Thx alot for the info everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ellis1142 View Post
    ok. I am confused. I have read that 2002 wrx's react better to MBC's then other models because a diff in the ecu. and the stock turbo and fuel pump/injectors and stuff can support up to 14-15psi fine. Straighten me up on this plz. lol. I dont mind being wrong at all but I really thought I was doing right. Thx alot for the info everyone.
    Yes '02 and '03 CAN handle a MBC better than the newer models but it's still not RECOMENDED that you use one... Everything being set up right is a must. I have had a MBC on my car for over 6+ years and never a problem... But having said that I don't recommend them because if you don't know what you are up against you WILL blow your engine, seeing that you don't even know how to hook it up it's best you don't use it.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...