ihi vf 39 rebuild
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on ihi vf 39 rebuild within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; can this be done? i can get this vf 39 with some shaft play and needs a compressor o-ring for ...

ihi vf 39 rebuild

can this be done? i can get this vf 39 with some shaft play and needs a compressor o-ring for pretty cheap. who does ihi rebuilds, i cant find anything on it??? help please? wanna go stage 3
    04' WRB wagon stage 2
    wagon Mafia #1 Where my wagons at?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No VF39's can't be rebuilt. It has nothing to do with the fact that they can't be tore apart but rather that nobody makes parts for them. Nobody, not even IHI. So once you get the turbo apart, and determine the culprit you either try to find a few used turbos and make one good one, have the costly part precision machined, or junk the turbo.

This is why they are so cheap used.

I had a VF39 I sent out for porting and coating only to find that once disassenbled the tuner found a "hot spot" which he said wouldn't live at higher boost levels.

And while "rebuilding" always sounds like the cheaper option, it 90% of the time is the latter. A simple rebuild runs around $400 not counting initial cost of the turbo. That is without any porting. A new td05h-16g can be sourced for ~$600, is rebuildable and a better platform for the typical vf39 person.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 09-16-2008 at 12:09 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hi!

There are some VF series parts on ebay listed as rebuild kits just check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by AWDNV View Post
    There are some VF series parts on ebay listed as rebuild kits just check it out!
    Interesting...
    There are three or more ebay user names selling Turbo Repair Rebuild Kits for various VF turbos.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Turbo-Repair-Reb...item4152ab049a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories

I just ordered one and its on its way! Ill let you guys and girls know how I make out! Im rebuilding a VF-48 so we'll see what happens! I have been doing a bit of research because the only thing I'm really even remotely worried about is how balanced the turbo will be, I'm going to scribe everything before disassembly so I know how it sits on the shaft as the orientation! Ill keep you posted!

Before anyone else says it, I know I'm crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Interesting...
    There are three or more ebay user names selling Turbo Repair Rebuild Kits for various VF turbos.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Turbo-Repair-Reb...item4152ab049a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories

I Support ClubWRX
    Alot of rebuilding a turbo has to do with why it needs rebuilding in the first place. 70% of the time you cannot just use a rebuild kit. Usually either the turbine wheel or compressor wheel is damaged to some degree. Which in turn can bend the turbine shaft. You will have to check the run-out on the shaft. If the problem was oil starvation or bad bearing you will have to mic the turbine shaft and order the appropriate oversized bearing as metal to metal contact removes material.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks Donkey! Ummm maybe you can rebuild one and let us know how, this is just s project for me! Anyways if I need orersized bearings Ill just machine them myself! Woot! We'll see how it goes! Thanks for the advise too, the turbine shaft is fine and so are the turbine wheel and compressor wheel. Who knows, it overspooled and damaged something internally so its leaking oil into the intake. I have tried to find out what else besides a damaged turbo would cause this but to no avail!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Alot of rebuilding a turbo has to do with why it needs rebuilding in the first place. 70% of the time you cannot just use a rebuild kit. Usually either the turbine wheel or compressor wheel is damaged to some degree. Which in turn can bend the turbine shaft. You will have to check the run-out on the shaft. If the problem was oil starvation or bad bearing you will have to mic the turbine shaft and order the appropriate oversized bearing as metal to metal contact removes material.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Interested to see how this turns out..

Turbo Rebuild

I rebuild the IHI VF series turbos all the time. The kits on ebay are the same kits as are available from most turbo shops. The only turbos that you cant get a kit for are the late ball bearing turbos. I have even machined my own bearings that perform better than the stock bearings (last longer). There is no reason to buy a new turbo unless you are going to upgrade. Thanks Sean

so how did this work out? and can anyone link a how to?

I work at a turbo shop and we won't touch a junk IHI turbo. They are non-serviceable.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Here.. you see people saying, ohh yea, it can be done, I'm about to rebuild mine... then you never hear from them again. Wonder how that turned out..

Blouch won't rebuild them at all, I called them last month about rebuilding a vf39.

I actually found a place that rebuilds them. You guys are full of it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.