Subaru WRX Forum banner

Hybrid Build - Done!!!

42K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  jordannn1233 
#1 · (Edited)
The abridged version: rod knock on my '05 WRX w/ 2.0L (stage 2 Cobb OTS map) = 2.5L hybrid build. Machines Gone Wild in Kendal did the build. 319.50hp, 293.90 torque at 16 PSI (very conservative tune).

Specs:

2.5L Hybrid setup
Kelford Cams
Cosworth Head Gaskets
CP Pistons
Valve Springs
Head Studs
Perrin TMIC
DW 650cc injectors
Walbro 255
Blouch 18g 8cm
Cobb Intake w/airbox
New stock parts: clutch disc, timing belt, oil pump, v-belt, accessory belt, water pump
Gauges: AEM UEGO (wideband A/F), oil pressure, boost

Edit: Newest Tune and info Below....

Got a retune and the only changes are as follows:

Perrin Inlet
Grimmspeed EBCS
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs (one step colder)
STi Oil Pan w/KillerB Oil Pickup
Kartboy Pitchstop
More Boost (was 16PSI, now 19PSI)

Old dyno results: 318.85whp, 288.37trq (16PSI, Temp: 87.90F, 41% humidity)
Current/New: 332.47whp, 338.78trq (19PSI, Temp: 97.37F, 28% humidity)

Both were on the same DynoJet and done by the same tuner, who also built my block (Gregg of Machines Gone Wild). The car has almost 85K miles and the block has 24K. :thumbup:

See less See more
#12 · (Edited)
Not really, if there is any I can't tell...it feels way way more powerful than stage 2 2.0L at every part of the power band and in every gear and pulls hard all the way to redline. The best part is its still fairly low boost and a conservative tune, so there is definitely more untapped power to make in the future....But, the tranny upgrade will have to come 1st.

#17 ·
nice rex bro. my bugeye is knocking now and im going to get a new motor for it soon, but for the long run, im was gonna build a hybrid with my old heads,etc. i heared that it doesnt bolt on directly with the 2.5l sti block, therefore i was just wondering how you did yours. also, how much did it cost you to get the new setup complete? thanks this will help me out alot.

#18 · (Edited)
Your heads do bolt to the STi block. I have the same EJ205 Heads and bolted them to the EJ257 (2.5L STi Block). My heads were in good condition though and only had about 64K miles on them (over about 3 years). So yes you can use your current heads if they are in decent shape, you may need them to get cleaned up a bit and a little PnP would not hurt.

As for the cost....hybrid builds get expensive quick. I copied this from an old post I did awhile back:

Basic Hybrid Swap (prices are what I paid back in Aug '08):

1) EJ257 = $1850
2) Timing Belt = $150
3) Water Pump = $120
4) Head Studs = $195
5) 2.5L Oil Pump = $150
6) Cosworth Headgasket = $150
7) Shims/buckets or Bucketless shims (depending on engine year) = No idea, as got mine for free.
8) Tune (Dyno + Road Tune) = $500
9) Various Gaskets/misc = $100

Total = $3215

And thats if you build it yourself.

If you want to do a little extra add:

Cams (Kelford 264/264) = $900
CP Pistons = $520 (Forged Pistons are a must IMHO)
Valve Springs/Retainers = $225
Clutch Disk = $145
TMIC = $700 - $800 new, $300 - $400 used (FMIC +$)
Blouch TD05H-18G 8cm w/PnP & Coat = $1100
DW Injectors = $260 - $290 (after $100 rebate)
Walbro 255 FP w/install Kit = $90

Still got to factor in $1500 - $2000 for labor if your not doing it yourself. As you can see the costs add up very quickly and out the door w/labor you end up paying between $7000 - $8000 or more depending on taxes, labor charges, dyno/tuning fees, etc. Now those prices I posted above may not be rock bottom, but that is what I paid and was back in August of '08 before the economy really took a ****.

#21 · (Edited)
Update: New Tune is next.

I figured since I updated my suspension thread I would bump this one as well. So since my suspension issues are finally sorted out... up next is a fresh tune w/more boost and some maintenance.

Here is the list (have all waiting to install already):

Perrin Turbo Inlet
Grimmspeed EBCS
STi Oil Pan w/Baffle, Dipstick, & Dipstick tube
KillerB Ultimate Oil Pickup
Kartboy Pitchstop (since the stocker needs to be pulled b/c of the new oil pan)
One step colder NGK Iridiums

The debate I'm having is that I am considering whether to do some PnP work...Here are my options:

1) Grimmspeed
2) Equilibrium Tuning

I am leaning toward ET and if you don't know why read this:

Exciting New Head Option for EJ205/EJ257 Hybrid Builds! - NASIOC

#22 ·
c2bcoolwrx said:
I figured since I updated my suspension thread I would bump this one as well. So since my suspension issues are finally sorted out... up next is a fresh tune w/more boost and some maintenance.

Here is the list (have all waiting to install already):

Perrin Turbo Inlet
Grimmspeed EBCS
STi Oil Pan w/Baffle, Dipstick, & Dipstick tube
KillerB Ultimate Oil Pickup
Kartboy Pitchstop (since the stocker needs to be pulled b/c of the new oil pan)
One step colder NGK Iridiums
Good deal! Since you already have an intake, why not just finish up the intake tract and get a post-MAF hose? I think the Perrin/Samco ones are < $100.

c2bcoolwrx said:
The debate I'm having is that I am considering whether to do some PnP work...Here are my options:

1) Grimmspeed
2) Equilibrium Tuning

I am leaning toward ET and if you don't know why read this:

Exciting New Head Option for EJ205/EJ257 Hybrid Builds! - NASIOC
Does GS do head PnP?

#24 ·
Nice build. I would have expected more torque from a hybrid, but I guess those cams really push the power to the right.. definitely helps it up top.

Patiently waiting to see what she does once you get gears in and give her some real boost. :cool:

I'm guessing there's no e85 options down there..

#25 · (Edited)
Nice build. I would have expected more torque from a hybrid, but I guess those cams really push the power to the right.. definitely helps it up top.

Patiently waiting to see what she does once you get gears in and give her some real boost. :cool:

I'm guessing there's no e85 options down there..
Thanks. The torque will come with more boost, b/c at 16PSI the 18G is not even in its effiency range yet.

Actually, I have an e85 station w/in 3 miles of my house and another w/in 7 miles. But, I am not touching e85 until a tranny upgrade.

#27 ·
ALSO, since i dont really plan on raising the rev limit. Would I need to get valve springs, and retainers. Also whats the going rate usially on getting new valve seats installed. Or does that 400$ head service cover it? I wonder if i have to send my heads, pulled apart. Im sure most of this info i could find out when I am talking to the engine guy ey ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.