Hybrid Build - Done!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

This is a discussion on Hybrid Build - Done!!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MiLaB21 nice numbers, goodluck with it!! Thanks, and the best part I left plenty on the table. ...

  1. #16
    Registered User c2bcoolwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SFLA
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by MiLaB21 View Post
    nice numbers, goodluck with it!!
    Thanks, and the best part I left plenty on the table. So after a tranny upgrade, PnP everything, and more boost I could easily see another 30hp and 30lb-ft, probably more.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User skivang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    0
    nice rex bro. my bugeye is knocking now and im going to get a new motor for it soon, but for the long run, im was gonna build a hybrid with my old heads,etc. i heared that it doesnt bolt on directly with the 2.5l sti block, therefore i was just wondering how you did yours. also, how much did it cost you to get the new setup complete? thanks this will help me out alot.

  4. #18
    Registered User c2bcoolwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SFLA
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by skivang View Post
    nice rex bro. my bugeye is knocking now and im going to get a new motor for it soon, but for the long run, im was gonna build a hybrid with my old heads,etc. i heared that it doesnt bolt on directly with the 2.5l sti block, therefore i was just wondering how you did yours. also, how much did it cost you to get the new setup complete? thanks this will help me out alot.
    Your heads do bolt to the STi block. I have the same EJ205 Heads and bolted them to the EJ257 (2.5L STi Block). My heads were in good condition though and only had about 64K miles on them (over about 3 years). So yes you can use your current heads if they are in decent shape, you may need them to get cleaned up a bit and a little PnP would not hurt.

    As for the cost....hybrid builds get expensive quick. I copied this from an old post I did awhile back:

    Basic Hybrid Swap (prices are what I paid back in Aug '08):

    1) EJ257 = $1850
    2) Timing Belt = $150
    3) Water Pump = $120
    4) Head Studs = $195
    5) 2.5L Oil Pump = $150
    6) Cosworth Headgasket = $150
    7) Shims/buckets or Bucketless shims (depending on engine year) = No idea, as got mine for free.
    8) Tune (Dyno + Road Tune) = $500
    9) Various Gaskets/misc = $100

    Total = $3215

    And thats if you build it yourself.

    If you want to do a little extra add:

    Cams (Kelford 264/264) = $900
    CP Pistons = $520 (Forged Pistons are a must IMHO)
    Valve Springs/Retainers = $225
    Clutch Disk = $145
    TMIC = $700 - $800 new, $300 - $400 used (FMIC +$)
    Blouch TD05H-18G 8cm w/PnP & Coat = $1100
    DW Injectors = $260 - $290 (after $100 rebate)
    Walbro 255 FP w/install Kit = $90


    Still got to factor in $1500 - $2000 for labor if your not doing it yourself. As you can see the costs add up very quickly and out the door w/labor you end up paying between $7000 - $8000 or more depending on taxes, labor charges, dyno/tuning fees, etc. Now those prices I posted above may not be rock bottom, but that is what I paid and was back in August of '08 before the economy really took a ****.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 08-04-2009 at 10:44 AM.

  5. #19
    Registered User skivang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    0
    thanks alot man. its not gonna be anytime soon, but something i really want to do in the future. just got into the car selling (car lot/dealership) industry, so well see how things go after that. thanks again bro, it helped alot. tk.

  6. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX
    #7 will run about $350 for the parts and if you're running cams is highly advisable or possibly even required.

  7. #21
    Registered User c2bcoolwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SFLA
    Posts
    1,667

    Update: New Tune is next.

    I figured since I updated my suspension thread I would bump this one as well. So since my suspension issues are finally sorted out... up next is a fresh tune w/more boost and some maintenance.

    Here is the list (have all waiting to install already):

    Perrin Turbo Inlet
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    STi Oil Pan w/Baffle, Dipstick, & Dipstick tube
    KillerB Ultimate Oil Pickup
    Kartboy Pitchstop (since the stocker needs to be pulled b/c of the new oil pan)
    One step colder NGK Iridiums

    The debate I'm having is that I am considering whether to do some PnP work...Here are my options:

    1) Grimmspeed
    2) Equilibrium Tuning

    I am leaning toward ET and if you don't know why read this:

    Exciting New Head Option for EJ205/EJ257 Hybrid Builds! - NASIOC
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 03-27-2010 at 03:06 AM.

  8. #22
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,514
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx
    I figured since I updated my suspension thread I would bump this one as well. So since my suspension issues are finally sorted out... up next is a fresh tune w/more boost and some maintenance.

    Here is the list (have all waiting to install already):

    Perrin Turbo Inlet
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    STi Oil Pan w/Baffle, Dipstick, & Dipstick tube
    KillerB Ultimate Oil Pickup
    Kartboy Pitchstop (since the stocker needs to be pulled b/c of the new oil pan)
    One step colder NGK Iridiums
    Good deal! Since you already have an intake, why not just finish up the intake tract and get a post-MAF hose? I think the Perrin/Samco ones are < $100.

    Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx
    The debate I'm having is that I am considering whether to do some PnP work...Here are my options:

    1) Grimmspeed
    2) Equilibrium Tuning

    I am leaning toward ET and if you don't know why read this:

    Exciting New Head Option for EJ205/EJ257 Hybrid Builds! - NASIOC
    Does GS do head PnP?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  9. #23
    Registered User c2bcoolwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SFLA
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Good deal! Since you already have an intake, why not just finish up the intake tract and get a post-MAF hose? I think the Perrin/Samco ones are < $100.

    Does GS do head PnP?
    I already have a post-MAF hose.

    I thought they pretty much PnPed almost everything...manifolds, turbo, throttle body, TGVS.

  10. #24
    Registered User MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,581
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice build. I would have expected more torque from a hybrid, but I guess those cams really push the power to the right.. definitely helps it up top.

    Patiently waiting to see what she does once you get gears in and give her some real boost.



    I'm guessing there's no e85 options down there..

  11. #25
    Registered User c2bcoolwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SFLA
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Nice build. I would have expected more torque from a hybrid, but I guess those cams really push the power to the right.. definitely helps it up top.

    Patiently waiting to see what she does once you get gears in and give her some real boost.

    I'm guessing there's no e85 options down there..
    Thanks. The torque will come with more boost, b/c at 16PSI the 18G is not even in its effiency range yet.

    Actually, I have an e85 station w/in 3 miles of my house and another w/in 7 miles. But, I am not touching e85 until a tranny upgrade.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 03-27-2010 at 04:05 PM.

  12. #26
    Registered User MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,581
    I Support ClubWRX
    Mmhmmm.. that's gonna be real nice.

  13. #27
    Registered User twistymaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, United States
    Posts
    59
    ALSO, since i dont really plan on raising the rev limit. Would I need to get valve springs, and retainers. Also whats the going rate usially on getting new valve seats installed. Or does that 400$ head service cover it? I wonder if i have to send my heads, pulled apart. Im sure most of this info i could find out when I am talking to the engine guy ey ?

  14. #28
    Registered User c2bcoolwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SFLA
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by twistymaster View Post
    ALSO, since i dont really plan on raising the rev limit. Would I need to get valve springs, and retainers. Also whats the going rate usially on getting new valve seats installed. Or does that 400$ head service cover it? I wonder if i have to send my heads, pulled apart. Im sure most of this info i could find out when I am talking to the engine guy ey ?
    Nope. I had to b/c of the higher lift Kelford cams. As for the cost of the new valve seats, I donno. I had forgot to update this thread with my current tune (made a lot more torque). Here is my new tune thread:

    Got a retune - DYNO RESULTS!

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    24
    I'm thinking about doing a 2.5 hybrid set up also once my 2.0 goes out. What parts from the 2.0 did you use on the 2.5 shortblock?

  16. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    24
    How much did this setup cost you? Looking to do something the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •