need help - boost problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on need help - boost problems within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright, wish me luck!...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Alright, wish me luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Aaaaarrrggghhh.. WTF!?!?

I put everything back on the car, new gasket and all. Go for a drive, everything seems fine. So I punch it, turbo spools MUCH harder, boost shoots up, and it starts knocking immediately.

I'm thinking, maybe too much boost? So I turn it down, go for a pull, STILL knocking.

I'm guessing the car was tuned with the intake charge leak, and now it's getting more air.. too much. This car is such a PITA!

@#**&@*@*!!!11!!!1

Time to drink a beer.

I Support ClubWRX
    That sucks...hopefully you get it sorted.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Last edited by MainFrame; 08-22-2008 at 10:45 PM.

BUMP

I took the car to my tuner and somehow it had quit knocking completely by the time I got there. He hooked everything up (diagnostics, wideband o2, etc.), drove the car several times and he could find nothing wrong with it. That is, map wise, spark, everything seem to be running perfect. But as soon as boost goes over ~14psi the car "stumbles", and continues to do so as long as it's under boost. Watching the A/F ratios, they are completely stable across the board when the power is cutting out.

The next thing he wants to try is updating the firmware on the UTEC. While I'm all for doing this, I don't think it's going to solve my problems..

If I have a broken, or malfunctioning waste gate actuator how could I check it short of replacing it with another one?

I Support ClubWRX
    Amalfuntioning/broken wastegat actuator wold not cause the car to run funny.It just wouldn't let the car make boost.Try cleaning your MAF sensor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Amalfuntioning/broken wastegat actuator wold not cause the car to run funny.It just wouldn't let the car make boost.Try cleaning your MAF sensor.

that was literally one of, if not the first thing I did

plus I think with a bad MAF sensor the car wouldn't run as good as it does, it runs perfectly as long as it's under ~14psi

I Support ClubWRX
    Try checking/cleaning all of your major grounds in the engine bay including both ends of the neg batter cable.Might not even hurt to do/make a ground kit.Check all your coil packs.Maybe even remove them and clean the towers as well as adding a little diaelectric grease to the female plug.It sounds ignition related.You could also try swapping coil packs with another car.
    Last edited by Donkey; 09-10-2008 at 12:37 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

wat about the spark plugs do you have one step colder plugs, i believe with the vf22 you should have to get one step colder plugs or you might get knock!!
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Try checking/cleaning all of your major grounds in the engine bay including both ends of the neg batter cable.Might not even hurt to do/make a ground kit.Check all your coil packs.Maybe even remove them and clean the towers as well as adding a little diaelectric grease to the female plug.It sounds ignition related.You could also try swapping coil packs with another car.

All the grounds are good, although I wouldn't mind doing a grounding kit. It's not a problem with the coil packs either. If it was having a problem with the spark it would show up in the diagnostics. Diagnostics show everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    wat about the spark plugs do you have one step colder plugs, i believe with the vf22 you should have to get one step colder plugs or you might get knock!!

Changing plugs was the second thing I did. It had champion plugs and I put in NGK iridium plugs. My tuner said not to get one step colder plugs because they could cause problems. Plus the engine isn't knocking or even coming close.

you just said it was knocking

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Aaaaarrrggghhh.. WTF!?!?

I put everything back on the car, new gasket and all. Go for a drive, everything seems fine. So I punch it, turbo spools MUCH harder, boost shoots up, and it starts knocking immediately.

I'm thinking, maybe too much boost? So I turn it down, go for a pull, STILL knocking.

I'm guessing the car was tuned with the intake charge leak, and now it's getting more air.. too much. This car is such a PITA!

@#**&@*@*!!!11!!!1

Time to drink a beer.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    All the grounds are good, although I wouldn't mind doing a grounding kit.
    DIY: Grounding Kit ('05 STi)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12