Upippe dreams... XD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Upippe dreams... XD within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been thinking of buying an after market uppipe, any recommendations? Opps, its a 06 WRX by the way ^_^...

Upippe dreams... XD

I've been thinking of buying an after market uppipe, any recommendations?

Opps, its a 06 WRX by the way ^_^
    Last edited by hemoglowen; 07-15-2008 at 10:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hemoglowen View Post
    I've been thinking of buying an after market uppipe, any recommendations?

Opps, its a 06 WRX by the way ^_^
    Don't bother. Look elsewhere for improvements.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    If you're going to do it, get the grimmspeed UP w/ 38mm waste gate dump tube and get one of their IWG brackets.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel
    If you're going to do it, get the grimmspeed UP w/ 38mm waste gate dump tube and get one of their IWG brackets.
    EWG would be the way to go if you decide to remove the OEM UP, but you'll require a custom tune for it, so tack that $$ onto the price - as SD_GR said, look elsewhere
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Why does everyone shy away from modifications that require money? Isn't that kind of how it goes, you modify, you spend money?
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel
    Why does everyone shy away from modifications that require money? Isn't that kind of how it goes, you modify, you spend money?
    The EWG setup is $600. The tune will be $300-400.

Though I believe that a dumped EWG sounds utterly amazing (I hope to have the Grimmspeed setup next month), some people would have a tough time justifying spending that much $$

You could get a used STi TMIC + VF39 + injectors for approx that much, run the Cobb OTS map, and get more power.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Or get the EWG UP, VF39, injectors, tune, TMIC and make more power than either. Perhaps the OP can let us know what his budget is so we can spend his money in th emost effective manner?
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    Or get the EWG UP, VF39, injectors, tune, TMIC and make more power than either. Perhaps the OP can let us know what his budget is so we can spend his money in th emost effective manner?
    Well as of now, i just spent most of my money on my AP....I was thinking an uppipe because its not too expensive. I am in college, and I am not working during the semesters. I have about two paychecks left until I have to go back to school... meaning Im willing to spend a bit...
    I'd love to get all that stuff, but how expensive can that stuff run? id assume atleast thousands..amirite? If so, thats wayyy outta my league..for now anyhow.

I Support ClubWRX
    The up pipe is not a cost effective solution for you. The most sensible thing to do is nothing. Otherwise, either look into a used exhaust that will fit your budget without attracting too much attention, or use the money for maintenance as needed. Keep any exhaust components you remove since you'll likely have to replace them to pass emissions testing in the future.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    The EWG setup is $600. The tune will be $300-400.
    ur saying to get a protune is roughly $300-400. how long does that usually take?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The up pipe is not a cost effective solution for you. The most sensible thing to do is nothing. Otherwise, either look into a used exhaust that will fit your budget without attracting too much attention, or use the money for maintenance as needed. Keep any exhaust components you remove since you'll likely have to replace them to pass emissions testing in the future.
    Yeah, well I've already bought a Tanabe Concept G TBE....I'm waiting on my accessport to come for install... I've also got a K&N typhoon, but I took that out because it wasn't really doing much without a flash, or so I've heard....I will admit I had the exhuast installed a while ago and I took it off after I discovered what it could do to my car without EM systems...so I've been waiting almost a year to get the AP.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    Perhaps the OP can let us know what his budget is so we can spend his money in the most effective manner?

OP: So you have two paychecks left to spend on your car? What is that? Like 1 or 2 Gs? You need to decide what your goals for the car are and research the best mods to get you there.
    If it were me (really, this is just what I would do if I were in your place) I would put the TBE and intake back on and go out and get my self a good pro-tune. Then I would get some new pads, rotors and SS steal lines to make sure I could stop that stage 2 power.
    Take whatever is left to school for beer and taco bell.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post

OP: So you have two paychecks left to spend on your car? What is that? Like 1 or 2 Gs? You need to decide what your goals for the car are and research the best mods to get you there.
    If it were me (really, this is just what I would do if I were in your place) I would put the TBE and intake back on and go out and get my self a good pro-tune. Then I would get some new pads, rotors and SS steal lines to make sure I could stop that stage 2 power.
    Take whatever is left to school for beer and taco bell.
    Haha 2 Gs, I wish...maybe around 600$+/-. I don't expect this car to be built in a year, or even three.. I know it's going to take a lonnngg time till I can afford to do what I want at will.. So I'm trying to take it easy...I'm also really into computers and paintballing too..which sucks a lot of my other funding away.. But anyhow I was thinking I would get a pro-tune eventually..The closest shop that might be worth going to in northern CA to me is about an hour and 20 mins away..So I might be doing that after I get my AP...How much is a pro-tune anyhow? roughly averaged of course. But suspension was probably going to be a mod that would be next...I'd like some coilovers but those aren't cheap niether...plus I'll be moving to san francisco next year since I'm transfering...I'll need to save for that.. NO MONIES MAKE ME MADDD

I don't drink so it's no worries about spending money on beer..And I prefer In n Out. XD

2 newb questions. Do you need an AP for a pro tune? On an 02 WRX if i were to put in a catless up pipe am i toying with destruction? Can the extra heat of a catless up pipe system destroy my turbo?
    My emotions, and how my car is currently running are somehow interconnected. I would hate to see how I would react if I totalled it!

Quote Originally Posted by hemoglowen View Post
    I don't drink so it's no worries about spending money on beer..And I prefer In n Out. XD
    Mmmmm...In n Out.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast