Sti pinks vs Stock 06 Injectors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Sti pinks vs Stock 06 Injectors within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so I did a VF39 swap this weekend and at the recommendation of my local shop used '06 WRX ...

Sti pinks vs Stock 06 Injectors

Ok, so I did a VF39 swap this weekend and at the recommendation of my local shop used '06 WRX injectors in place of Sti pinks. The shop had successfully used them in the past on customer vehicles with a canned/OTS Cobb map when the pinks were not available.

Honestly, the map runs great, smooth idle, good throttle response.

I have looked on the various forums and found one posting on NASIOC that had a flow test sheet on the MY06 injectors testing at 560cc.

So the question that I have is...

Can anyone actually tell me the flow rate of Sti Pinks?

I have read a metric anal tonnage of posts with varying flow rates from 510cc to 565cc. The Cobb site refers to them as 565cc and the corresponding Deatschwerks “Cobb Spec” injectors as 565cc as well. The issue here is you go search for wrx Deatschwerks site injectors and you find that they offer two 565cc injectors, a standard 565cc injector and a 565cc “Cobb Spec” injector at a difference in price of +$10 for a set of the Cobb Spec’s.

Someone spill some knowledge on me
    2004 Java Black Wagon

Mods - VF39, '06 WRX Injectors, Cobb OTS AP Map, Perrin Up & Down Pipe, DC Sports Catback, Cobb LWC Pulley, STI Hood Scoop, Sprayer & TMIC, Kartboy SS, Cleared Headlights & Aftermarket Leather Interior W/Heated Seats

Bobby Tuned - 286 awhp/265awtq

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    100% off topic... but...

How ya like your vf39 so far?

I'm bidding on one right now
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

It's pretty awesome. I did the install myself using two threads posted by WRXreX (props). The turbo was easy, just make sure you have new gaskets.

The injectors on the other hand...

BITCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCH. Actually, they were't that bad, just make sure that you have a small 10mm wrench handy. I didn't and wasted a bunch of time trying to work around unbolting a breather on the passenger side.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

Mods - VF39, '06 WRX Injectors, Cobb OTS AP Map, Perrin Up & Down Pipe, DC Sports Catback, Cobb LWC Pulley, STI Hood Scoop, Sprayer & TMIC, Kartboy SS, Cleared Headlights & Aftermarket Leather Interior W/Heated Seats

I Support ClubWRX
    i've actually got an 06 so inj aren't nec... sweet though. no overboost probs?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

No over boost problems that I have noticed yet. I see about 18psi at full boost, but I finished on Monday and with work I haven't had much time to drive it.

Plus Seattle traffic isn't very conducive to "spirited" driving. Although, I did get one really good pull up to triple digit speed. I felt that my stage two setup used to really fall off above 80mph. This set up was still pulling hard at 100 and then I promptly backed off as I do not condone excessive speeding .
    2004 Java Black Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpentalic View Post
    No over boost problems that I have noticed yet. I see about 18psi at full boost, but I finished on Monday and with work I haven't had much time to drive it.

Plus Seattle traffic isn't very conducive to "spirited" driving. Although, I did get one really good pull up to triple digit speed. I felt that my stage two setup used to really fall off above 80mph. This set up was still pulling hard at 100 and then I promptly backed off as I do not condone excessive speeding .
    do you feel less pull off the line?
    That's sort of what I'm looking for... the torque on the stage 2 06 map scares me a little... the vf39 is actually lower, and spools later. So it would lead me to believe it's safer on the tranny.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Definately more lag, but I'm running a 2.0, so I expect you'd be much better off. I looked at the Cobb OTS maps at stage 2, you're running 300ft/lbs. My stage 3 map is 349hp and 299ft/lbs.

Per Cobb, on my set up I gained 65hp, but only 15 ft/lbs from stage 2 to 3. To be honest you feel it when you drive. At stage 2, the TD04 spools so quickly that you really feel the torque. Here that lag relatively makes the torque less noticable. You don't really get that whhoooooooooooo it's a smoother transition, but the power just keeps comming longer.

My interpretation of torque and hp may be incorrect, but my interpretation of how it feels should make sense.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

Time to take this thread back to it's roots....

I have looked on the various forums and found one posting on NASIOC that had a flow test sheet on the MY06 injectors testing at 560cc.

I have read a metric anal tonnage of posts with varying flow rates from 510cc to 565cc.

2004 Java Black Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Alpentalic View Post

Subaru rates them at 525cc. They do tend to flow closer to 565 during flow tests though. Unfortunately, there is no concrete answer for this.
    '04 Aspen White STi

Ok, here's perhaps a better way to ask this.

MY06 injectors have been flow tested at 560cc and there's a flow test sheet posted in one of the NASIOC forums that proves it.

If the Sti Pinks flow "around" 565cc in flow tests, can 06 injectors be considered a blue version of the sti pink.

So far, no one can tell me that there is any discernable difference.

Has anyone actually flow tested an Sti Pink Injector?
    2004 Java Black Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey555 View Post
    Subaru rates them at 525cc. They do tend to flow closer to 565 during flow tests though. Unfortunately, there is no concrete answer for this.
    There's a brief explanation of this in the product information found here:

STi Pink 525cc Fuel Injectors for 2002-5 Subaru WRX, JSC Speed The "cobb spec" injectors probably just are a way of covering their ass. Cobb spends a lot of time/effort/money in making sure their products are completely trouble free in plug and play applications. They probably had to do some testing to make sure the quality control was where they wanted and so they charge an additional $10 for the "guarantee" inherent in the name. Waste of money, if you ask me.

Word. I read that too.

As far as the Cobb Spec thing goes, I was thinking the same thing.

Really the whole reason I started this thread is I feel like my car is running a little rich with the OTS Cobb VF39 map. I assume that part of this is Cobb just being conservative in their mapping, not wanting to run to lean.

I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a big difference in injector flow that would be causeing me to run rich. The simple solution is to just get a wide band protune, which I was planning on doing anyway.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchey555 View Post
    I had a used set of Pinks I sent out to get cleaned and balanced.They flow tested after cleaning 525-530cc at 43.5psi.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thank you for an excellent answer. That is exactly what I was looking for.

This also seems to be consistent with my suspicion that I'm running just a little rich.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I had a used set of Pinks I sent out to get cleaned and balanced.They flow tested after cleaning 525-530cc at 43.5psi.
    So the question is, what did they flow test at like 46 psi? I'm not sure how much is a "small" increase in fuel pressure, but back in the day when people were smashing their FPR's with hammers to get more IDC headroom, I remember people being able to run un-modded STi pinks on FP Greens no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast