Got everything I needed for a VF39 swap, but...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Got everything I needed for a VF39 swap, but... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just wanted to complain a little. Today I drove 50 miles to the closest Subaru dealer that stocked ...

Got everything I needed for a VF39 swap, but...

So I just wanted to complain a little. Today I drove 50 miles to the closest Subaru dealer that stocked the '06 wrx injectors, which I have been told by a local shop will work just as good as the STi pinks with the Cobb OTS map.

Anyway, bought all the gaskets, a stud to replace the one that I had to drill out of my used turbo, my walbro pump and my injectors.

I got half way home and decided to take a look at one of the injectors, and so I opened the box and WTF!!!!! The injector didn't come with the o-rings to seal the freakin' things into the head.

Just one question, if you have to replace the o-rings when you get new injectors, and the part has a cost of $.05, then why the hell wouldn't you just include the stupid things???

I ordered up a set from a much closer dealer, but my weekend project has been delayed for another week.

I can't even tell you how hard it is to look in my garage and stare a 25% more horsepower sitting on the self waiting a week for install becasue of $20 worth of crappy subaru o-rings.

WTF!
    2004 Java Black Wagon

Mods - VF39, '06 WRX Injectors, Cobb OTS AP Map, Perrin Up & Down Pipe, DC Sports Catback, Cobb LWC Pulley, STI Hood Scoop, Sprayer & TMIC, Kartboy SS, Cleared Headlights & Aftermarket Leather Interior W/Heated Seats

Bobby Tuned - 286 awhp/265awtq

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bro go down to a local orchard supply or some sort of Autoparts store and find some orings. I found some at orchard supply, they are slightly thicker then the original ones that came with my Deatschwerks 750's but they sealed perfect. specs on the box show they are 5/16" ID X 1/2" OD X 3/32 Wall Thickness

They worked great for me and I got a pack of 2 for $.25
    07 WRX TR
    | APS CAI | APS TMIC | SPT Short Throw Shifter | SRs 3" DP + Greedy EVO 2 CB | Blouch DOM 3.0R | Deatchwerks 750's | Walbro FP | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Up Pipe | Perrin EBCS | Prodrive Springs | 1-4 Helical PPG's | Pro Tuned by Mike @ GSTMotorsports 319 whp / 317 wtq @ 20 PSI |

Thanks for the deminsions.

I went to one local place, but didn't have the deminsions handy. Thanks again.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

Mods - VF39, '06 WRX Injectors, Cobb OTS AP Map, Perrin Up & Down Pipe, DC Sports Catback, Cobb LWC Pulley, STI Hood Scoop, Sprayer & TMIC, Kartboy SS, Cleared Headlights & Aftermarket Leather Interior W/Heated Seats

Umm just use the stock injector seals that are in your can now
    -03 WRX
    238WHP, 245AWTQ
    Bobby tuned @ PRE Stage 2
    X-Mitsubishi owner
    ~DIFFERENT STROKES~

I've been told many many times that's not a good idea. Something about fuel leakage, I wasn't really listening.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

i just didi the vf 39 swap and i used the stock o rings.....something weird happened though , the driver side injectors came out w/o the rings but both PS injectors came out witht the rings on the actuall injectors.....weird? ironic?
    MY Mods...
    2004 WRX OPB....58k...open source tuned...VF 39 Turbo...Pink 565cc injectors...Walbro FP... Godspeed FMIC...Turbo XS Stealthback Exhaust...Gimmik Turbo Inlet...Gimmik Rad. Hoses...COBB SF Intake...EXedy Lightweight Flywheel...F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch...Perrin Crank Pulley...Perrin Afta-MAF Hose...HKS Up Pipe...Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushings....lots-o-suspention...

Did you take the passenger side breather cover off to get to the hidden bolt under the GBOD?

I read one of the write ups that said he was able to use a small 12mm wrench, rather than removing the breather. I tried for about 45 minutes because I couldn't find my 10mm wrench to remove the breather cover. Anyway, my car is still in pieces in my garage and I will be buying a 10mm wrench tomorrow.

GBOD = PITA
    2004 Java Black Wagon

I wasn't going to post, but I had to. I got the effer done. All in all, I estimate 7 -8 hours of actual work. Bottom line, turbo was a piece of cake, the injectors sucked!

As for the previously discussed o-ring issue, i had to use the stock rings that seal to the cylinder head. The rings that seal to the fuel rails were new. Checked, checked and checked again and no fuel leaks.

Thanks to WRXreX for posting the DIY with pics that made it so much easier.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

well, how do you like the new VF-39 set up!?

I haven't gotten to drive more than about 5 miles with it. A little street and a bit on the free way.

I noting a little loss on the low end, as it takes a little longer for the turbo to get spooling (about 500 rpm), but once it kicks in it is very noticeable.

Most noteable improvement is above 60. With the stage two setup it seemed like the power trailed off above 80. This thing pulls really hard into the low triple digits.

Just FYI, if you're looking to do the swap with a Cobb OTS map, the '06 WRX injectors work in place of the STI pinks.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

did u lose alot of coolant dunring the swap....i lost about half a water bottle....just make sure you fill that coolant tank....also you should change your oil if your anywhere close to 3,000....

also how did u check for fuel leaks????just look near the injectors??? lol cuz its been a few days since my swap and i look at my engine after i turn off the engine every time
    MY Mods...
    2004 WRX OPB....58k...open source tuned...VF 39 Turbo...Pink 565cc injectors...Walbro FP... Godspeed FMIC...Turbo XS Stealthback Exhaust...Gimmik Turbo Inlet...Gimmik Rad. Hoses...COBB SF Intake...EXedy Lightweight Flywheel...F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch...Perrin Crank Pulley...Perrin Afta-MAF Hose...HKS Up Pipe...Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushings....lots-o-suspention...

I didn't lose a whole lot of coolant, maybe a cup or so. I just topped off with distilled water since there wasn't much loss.

As for the injectors, I'm checking constantly and so far so good. I have to assume that when people say not to reuse the factory o-rings, they have to mean the ones that seal to the fuel rail. While I would never want to reuse one of those, the ones that seal to the head are pretty burley.

As for the oil change, I'm right about 3k, but I use synthetic so I usually go 4.5k.

Have you gotten a custom tune, or are you running an OTS map? Iím wondering how much more I can expect to extract with a protune.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

im jsut running the OTS 349 chp 299 tq.....i hope to get atleast 30-40 more chp with a protune
    MY Mods...

Just to follow up, I got my protune today from Bobby at PRE in Portland OR.

+57awhp and +55awtq over the cobb ots map.

Overall Bobby was able to put down 286/265 with the mods listed in my signature. That's pretty significant when you consider that's a 25% increase in hp and tq over Cobb's OTS map.
    2004 Java Black Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.