How to turn up the boost?

This is a discussion on How to turn up the boost? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought my '06 wrx a lil over 2 months ago. The first thing i noticed is how quick it ...

How to turn up the boost?

I bought my '06 wrx a lil over 2 months ago. The first thing i noticed is how quick it was. These are the mods it had when i bought it: STI intercooler, Boost gauge, 3" down pipe/ no cat. I just put a 3" exhaust on and bought new springs n HID's. Heres my question:
    How do you turn the boost up?
    because the boost gauge is reading up to 20-23 psi depending on the temp outside. Maybe the 23 was a boost spike, but I dont see how they turned it up. Theres no boost controller. So ive been reading about the accessport. What exactly is it and would this be a possibility of how the boost is so high? I'm afraid im going to blow it up but im really enjoying the power! So my next question is:
    How do I turn it down?
    Do i need to buy an accessport? Can i do it manually?
    And someone told me if you put a plug with a small opening into one of your lines that the boost has no limit? Any one know anyghing about that? Just trying to keep my motor n tranny in one piece

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU View Post
    I bought my '06 wrx a lil over 2 months ago. The first thing i noticed is how quick it was. These are the mods it had when i bought it: STI intercooler, Boost gauge, 3" down pipe/ no cat. I just put a 3" exhaust on and bought new springs n HID's. Heres my question:
    because the boost gauge is reading up to 20-23 psi depending on the temp outside. Maybe the 23 was a boost spike, but I dont see how they turned it up. Theres no boost controller. So ive been reading about the accessport. What exactly is it and would this be a possibility of how the boost is so high? I'm afraid im going to blow it up but im really enjoying the power! So my next question is:
    How do I turn it down?
    And someone told me if you put a plug with a small opening into one of your lines that the boost has no limit? Any one know anyghing about that? Just trying to keep my motor n tranny in one piece
    the boost gauge might not be reading accurate. i would get an AP asap with that catless downpipe u have your going to get boost spike. your car will run much smoother and it will give a some more HP. the AP will also tell you how much boost your pushing.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

How do I turn it down?
    you will not blow your car up, you will just experience boost/fuel cut when the manifold pressure reaches a certain level.

you are boost creeping big time with that catless downpipe, basically the exhaust is too free flowing to allow the internal wastegate to do its job. There is no way to 'turn down' the boost as it is a mechanical issue that is causing the creep. The accessport will remap the boost to the boost solenoid and may take care of the problem, if not you basically have 3 choices:

1. Port the stock wastegate this involves pulling the turbo and machining the wastegate hole bigger to allow more exhaust to bypass the turbine.

2. Convert to an external wastegate (too much $ to be worth it on a stock turbo)

3. Swap to a catted downpipe to add more restriction to the exhaust.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

You may not have a properly functioning stock boost control system. Try to find a picture of what a stock boost control vacuum line setup looks like and see if your car has everything routed where it needs to be. If someone previously screwed with the boost and then did not return everything to proper working order, you may have a simple fix on your hands that just involves properly connecting the affected vacuum hoses.

Someone explain what the AP is and does. Also, before i put the exhaust on, i bought it with the 3" downpipe and a stock exhaust. Wouldnt that have restricited it a little? The performance hasnt really changed since i put on the exhaust. So your saying that the no cat issue is why its boosting so much? Also, i cant say 100% its reading accurately on the boost gauge but its alot faster than a stock wrx. My bf beats wrx's all day in his 350z, but i took him by 5 or 6 cars. Plus my brother has a boosted new spec v pushing 260whp at 8 psi, and i slowly pull on him. So i know the boost is way up there. Not to mention when i bought the car some1 before me beat the piss out of it. the day after i bought it the tranny blew up. and b/c of the intercooler n dp it wasnt under warranty. anyways.. thats beside the point. Just need to know how to ensure the reliability of my car.
    Someone said it wont blow up... does that mean its safe to push out 20 psi? If so, im keeping it that way.. opinions please

An AP ( Access Port ) Is a device you hook up to your ECU after you've made any engine modifications. It reflashes your ECU to adjust to the new modifications. CobbTuning.com - Home Page has them. There are other brands like enginuity and ecutek also. Keep searching around on this site and you may find some more answers. Sounds as if you got yourself into somthing you didnt know much about yet lol.
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

yea im relateively new to subaru. I've been into hondas my whole life. I had built a '00 civic boosting 9 psi at 201 etc etc, but then some losers stole it. I'm not complaining b/c this is was faster and its a higher end car but i miss the reliability of the honda. My wrx just feels like its going to break everytime i drive it (feels cheaply made). I am learning though. I'm not new to cars but never heard of an AP before the wrx. anyhow, all the mods that are on the car i would have done myself... i just would have known how the car was treated had i been the person to put them on.

I Support ClubWRX
    I miss the reliability/economics of my '96 Civic HB with B18C swap, turbo'd 310 @ 10psi, 34-36mpg, blah blah..

Still wish I had it..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Hate to get off topic but damn 310 is really good for a civic. i had a single cam, diet vtec boosting 9 psi at its prime. still only made 201 whp and 178 torque. But it was a trooper. Beat the crap out of it daily and NEVER left me stranded. Fkin subaru let me down the day after i bought it. Then subaru didnt want to warranty it. but i havent lost a race yet and the looks of "is that a girl driving it" is priceless. gotta love the power. Hoping to get it to a dyno soon. or at least the track.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like the car has had a tune.Possibly Ecutek or Opensource.What type (manufacturer) of boost gauge and where is it getting it's reading from?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Sounds like the car has had a tune.Possibly Ecutek or Opensource.What type (manufacturer) of boost gauge and where is it getting it's reading from?
    unless he's only seeing the boost creep notorious with 2.5L WRXs but an extended boost pressure of more the ~17.5psi or so should cause a fuel cut.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

does that mean its safe to push out 20 psi? If so, im keeping it that way.. opinions please
    You can run 20psi if your car is tuned for it. Can you crank the boost up on your stock turbo to 20psi? No-- you will hit boost cut (flashing cel+cruise light), run lean and eventually blow your motor.
    www.jscspeed.com

but i havent lost a race yet and the looks of "is that a girl driving it" is priceless. gotta love the power. Hoping to get it to a dyno soon. or at least the track.
    Wow, great job winning street races! You should buy a boost controller and up the boost some more to give yourself some more power so you can beat more cars.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Wow, great job winning street races! You should buy a boost controller and up the boost some more to give yourself some more power so you can beat more cars.
    First she should make sure that the local police force is standing by making sure she is not bothered though...
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajd111 View Post
    First she should make sure that the local police force is standing by making sure she is not bothered though...
    condescend much? I'm sure both you guys drive your modded, turbocharged AWD cars under the speed limit at all times

shouldn't you guys get back to NASIOC?
    Last edited by ElBartoRex; 06-01-2008 at 07:49 AM.
    www.jscspeed.com