08 wrx intake silencer delete
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 08 wrx intake silencer delete within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Dont bother ripping your car apart... the silencer dosent exist on the 08's !!! I pulled back the wheel well ...

08 wrx intake silencer delete

Dont bother ripping your car apart... the silencer dosent exist on the 08's !!! I pulled back the wheel well and peeked in... Nothing!!! Theres a round hole in the bottom of the airbox where a silencer should be, but its all sealed off!!! Apparently the STI's have the silencer, but they left them out of the WRX's... I must say im a little dissappointed because I was hoping to get more noise from my BPV and want to hear the turbo spool more... I thought taking the silencer out would help but there is none!!!! Oh well lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow thank god im not the only one that noticed that. i looked up silencer deletes for wrx's and only got them for the older molders, after cracking open mine i noticed theres really nothing there to delete. Then i was contemplating on just cutting that circular hole out just for kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Clean3000 View Post
    wow thank god im not the only one that noticed that. i looked up silencer deletes for wrx's and only got them for the older molders, after cracking open mine i noticed theres really nothing there to delete. Then i was contemplating on just cutting that circular hole out just for kicks.
    Hmmmm, I dont think i'd do that myself until someone else sucessfully does it lol, but if you try it let me know how it turns out. You think that whould give the same effect as removing a silencer? When I had my airbox out, I didn't take notice to whether or not that round circular hole was before or after the air filter??? do you remember? As long as the air coming in from that hole is filtered, i would assume it would do the same thing.

RE: 08 WRX Silencer Delete

Hey guys,

So I figured I'd give it a try and cut out the plastic in that hole where the silencer "should" be. And it worked like a charm - no error codes, nothing - just a bit of extra throat from the 3-4k range and a lovely WSSHHH sound on gear changes. Also have a K&N panel in there, which I put in a couple weeks back - I noticed after I put in the K&N you could hear the BOV a little bit better, but now you can really hear it. Just a little bit of fun for enthusiastic driving.

When I was doing it, I basically just pulled out the air box, drilled a pilot hole and cut out the rest using a dremel. The hole is before the filter (in the front half of the air box). Was thinking about going back in there and installing a small piece of mesh or something just to keep any big objects out (just in case).
    2008 WRX 4-door Premium 5MT

I was looking for a silencer before I read this thread. I was sad not to find one but then was happy to see someone found a solution. For now here are some pictures for those that may want to see. I'll post a pic of the cutout once I get a dremel or some other tool to do it.

2 easy pressure screws, loosen then pull out. Then you can wiggle the "ram air" out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step1.jpg 
Views:	3989 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	79749

With "ram air" thing out take the bolts out maked in red (10mm, the top one is a nut under the frame). Then unclip everything I circled in blue. Pull the box up and out, wiggling the tube off on the way up. I took the box out in 2 pieces, but you may be able to pull the whole thing out at once.

Name:	step2.jpg 
Views:	2615 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	79753

See, no silencer! Great open area for a CAI though

Name:	step3.jpg 
Views:	2618 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	79751

Bottom of airbox where I need to cut open the hole.

Name:	step4.jpg 
Views:	2461 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	79752

So I cut it out and put a K&N filter in. You can hear the BPV & a little of the turbo intaking air. I would say if you are going to buy a cold air or ram air intake in the near future it's not worth damaging OEM parts. But if you want a free mod to hear your turbo, it works.

Ok here it is cut out. Yes the cuts aren't the best but I didn't have a dremel.

Name:	after.jpg 
Views:	2613 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	79793

DUB
    So does the "ram air scoop" feed directly into the air box and there is no pass through to the fender at all?

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    So does the "ram air scoop" feed directly into the air box and there is no pass through to the fender at all?
    Yea that air difuser thing goes into the square opening seen in the picture below. There is no pass through to the fender until you cut the hole open in the cylinder area at the bottom left of this pic.

Name:	airbox.jpg 
Views:	2414 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	79795

OK so basically if i do this mod with STOCK filter... how much more bpv can I hear?

Also with this mod + a hi-flo filter... how much more can I hear...

Finally, with this mod, a new filter, and the Perrin aftamaf tube... How much will I hear then?!?!? muahahah

Quote Originally Posted by 08_WRX_SEX View Post
    OK so basically if i do this mod with STOCK filter... how much more bpv can I hear?

Also with this mod + a hi-flo filter... how much more can I hear...

Finally, with this mod, a new filter, and the Perrin aftamaf tube... How much will I hear then?!?!? muahahah
    Using a scale of 1-10 with 1 barely hearing & 10 being the loudest possible with aftermarket stuff...

w/Stock filter I'd say a 3
    w/K&N fitler I'd say a 5
    Don't know about the Perrin.

One thing I did notice is it seemed to get louder the more we drove it, so the stock filter may have gotten louder I just didn't give it a chance. Now maybe it didn't get "louder" I was just listening for it more. In reality it's not loud at all, just enough to let people know there is a turbo in there.

Thanks for the write-up and the reply Winston!

Quote Originally Posted by 08_WRX_SEX View Post
    Thanks for the write-up and the reply Winston!
    Don't bother wasting your time doing this. I just did it to my 2008 and it did absolutly nothing. No louder sounds, nothing.

I have stock everything because I just bought the car last week. This was the first thing I attempted because I dont care about my stock intake because I am getting a CAI.

So, finally, dont do this, waste of time for no change.

Ill be happy to answer any questions

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    nice not to have a silencer to muck w/

not sure how keen I would be cutting a hole in the side of the box though
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    nice not to have a silencer to muck w/

not sure how keen I would be cutting a hole in the side of the box though
    Yea, I don't think cutting up the stock air filter box helps, may even increase the IAT as compared to the stock set up that gets cold air from the front of the hood...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

does doing this mod damage anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast