08 wrx intake silencer delete - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 08 wrx intake silencer delete within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; wouldn't doing this mod cause heat soak from engine bay?...

wouldn't doing this mod cause heat soak from engine bay?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think it would be heat soak so much, rather messing w/ the path of the air that coming form the front of the car- a good source of air

instead of having one direct path of air, your introducing a second- not sure how that could prove positive
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I don't think it would be heat soak so much, rather messing w/ the path of the air that coming form the front of the car- a good source of air

instead of having one direct path of air, your introducing a second- not sure how that could prove positive
    it would have a larger amount of intake air

I Support ClubWRX
    not necessarily- you have air that is collected from the front of the car (oe route) and now you introduce another opening-what effect does this opening have on the air that is coming from the front of the car? will some of it exit out the new opening? will the new opening disturb the incoming air? I don't think anyone can say for sure, but clearly FHI engineers had an opportunity to open this hole to the fender well and they elected not to

give it a go and tell us what you think

eathan

pm sent

not necessarily- you have air that is collected from the front of the car (oe route) and now you introduce another opening-what effect does this opening have on the air that is coming from the front of the car? will some of it exit out the new opening? will the new opening disturb the incoming air? I don't think anyone can say for sure, but clearly FHI engineers had an opportunity to open this hole to the fender well and they elected not to

give it a go and tell us what you think
    i don't think opening another hole will cause the air to exit during acceleration because the intake will be sucking in air. so it will be taking air in from both openings making a bigger draw of air.

i've tried this mod and have had it for a couple of days now and it seems like it is drawing in more air. u can feel the the boost kick in at around 2750rpm and u start to feel it more when ur at 3500rpm. before i felt the boost kick in starting at 3000rpm

also i've looked at the aem cold air intake design and they don't even use the snorkel. it gets all it's air from the inside of that opening under the stock airbox and isolate with it with metal so no hot air from the engine bay gets into the intake.

so i guess this mod is okay

as for sound, yes u do hear the bypass valve a bit more louder. but it's not as loud as where someone standing on the street would hear it. only u and the passenger in your car would hear it. it's still a nice sound though
    Last edited by CuzImChinese; 01-08-2009 at 05:18 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    that would be positive news

that would be positive news
    it's kinda a weird feel though
    cus i'm used to feeling the boost at 3k
    but now i feel low boost at 2750 and it it starts to kick in more at 3500

since low boost comes in earlier now i some times think there is no boost cus of how smooth it comes in till it hits 3500rpm

i might try covering up the hole i made to see the difference

08 folter box mod's.

I have to say that I'm glad someone else was going through the same thing that I was. I plan on getting a CAI sometime, not sure when. But I was reading about the snorkus removal on the older models, but found nothing for the 08's. Now I know why. The damn thing is not there to remove. A few weeks ago I put a K&N filter in and it made a slight difference in throtal response and I could here the turbo and bov a little more. But of course being a guy, I always want more...... So after reading this post, I just removed the air scoop from my car. I figured it can't be any different than a RAM intake, right! I live in Cleveland, Ohio and it's still cold, but the car is taking the mod very well. I can hear everything more, but the car has a good increase in response and in boost. I was thinking of cutting out the bottom whole to see if it could suck in more air. What's teh worst that can happen? I'll plug the whole if it doesn't work. Should maybe wait until the weather here gets warmer, but I am a guy who always wants more............

Ok so all in all is it worth it?

Ok I did it yesterday, I can't tell any difference in boost timing or power the only difference is when you get on it it just sounds like an aftermarket intake!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12