2006 WRX Engine Modifications...Dangerous?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006 WRX Engine Modifications...Dangerous? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a 2006 WRX with 15,000 miles a couple of months ago. I have installed a 3" uppipe/downpipe, headers, ...

2006 WRX Engine Modifications...Dangerous?

I bought a 2006 WRX with 15,000 miles a couple of months ago. I have installed a 3" uppipe/downpipe, headers, HKS super sequential blowoff valve, typhoon air intake and a full 3" straight exhaust. The car is a blast to drive. My only concern comes at around 80mph in third gear. Around 5500 RPM the car seems to blurp, then the cruise control light stays on and the check engine light flashes. It only happens when I am really getting on it. I am afraid that this is causing some kind of damage to the engine. Has anyone run into this problem or maybe have a better idea of what exactly is happening?

Also, I am considering buying the Cobb tuner, but realize this will void my warrenty. I am not as concerned with high horsepower (completely satisfied with how it runs now) as I am with preserving my engine as a daily driver. Do you think that doing this will fix the above problem? Is it something that would likely be healthy for the car or am I better off just keeping the computer stock the way it is? Will the gains in horsepower be all that noticeable? Should this improve fuel mileage?

Im sure this has been asked time and time again, so even if you could direct me to the proper thread, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Gunnison Colorado/ Oklahoma City (over summers)
    yeah man i had that same problem. every time i got on it at about third when shifting it would backfire and my check engine light would come on and cruz didnt work. A friend told me that i shouldnt run it that hard unless i had it tuned or had the AP. but i bought the AP and ever since then no problems. and wth the AP if you take it to the dealership or if anything happens to it just pull it out of the glove compartment set your stock ECU back and be on your way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynguy9 View Post

Also, I am considering buying the Cobb tuner, but realize this will void my warrenty.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure you've voided your warranty. When I went for an oil changed after I first got my car they told me right before they touched my car, that not a damn thing will be covered because any mod=void as long as they can prove the mod caused the problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your mods will require a custom tune - even if you buy the AP, you're going to have to invest another $300-400 on a Protune. Personally, I'd call around your area to find a shop that does open-source tuning and save the $$ you'd spend on the AP. You can still flash back to stock if need be (just have them give you the base map on a USB key). All you'd need would be a tactrix cable and a laptop and the necessary software (free). Often times, you can find a local owner who has everything you'd need, and you could get them to help you for a 6-pack or something.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Your warrantee is already void. You've installed more exhaust components than a Cat-back exhaust. The BOV could be hurting your engine, your car is not intended to have a BOV.

I suggest getting rid of that BOV ASAP!!!BOV Info

+1 to the custom tune, the AP isn't really going to get you much with these types of mods.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Buy a Cobb accessport...... now.

The mods you've installed are causing the turbo to overboost, and your cylinders to run lean (because your computer isn't supplying enough fuel to compensate for the added boost, nor is it adjusting the timing appropriately).

You're gonna blow something up..... you've been warned.

You are at a stage 2 tune, which comes pre-loaded on the accessport (no dynotune required). It will allow your car to function properly, and run properly using the mods you've already installed. You can still get a pro-tune later for an extra 10-15 hp.... but for now, you need an AP to get the car to run PROPERLY. You'll be pleased with the results.. I promise.

I'm serious.... do not get on it until you've installed an EM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

yeah for sho i agree with 914er. And pls with the AP it comes with fuel ECO mode, which is ****ing bomb. Made a 700 mile trip on almost one tak of gas!

Your warranty cannot be summarily "voided". While you will certainly be hassled at the dealer, they do have to make some kind of logical connection between your mods and the failed part before they can refuse warranty coverage. For instance, if you A/C stops working they can't really blame the DP for that.

As for the way the car is running you are either hitting boost cut, misfiring or knocking. A custom tune will alleviate these issues, broaden your powerband and increase peak power as well. Cobb's off-the-shelf maps will not likely work too well with your car, with your intake being the main problem. All aftermarket intakes change the MAF response and require rescaling and fine tuning of the MAF curve.

I actually just tuned an 06 WRX yesterday with Opensource that only had a downpipe, catback and some kind of off brand intake. 91 octane CA rat piss gas. Here's the graph:

The car hits peak torque about 1000 rpm's earlier than it used to on the stock map and at 3K rpm the difference was about 130 ft/lbs. to the wheels... you'll feel that

So if i have an AP with a intake should i eventually go get it protuned?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx686 View Post
    So if i have an AP with a intake should i eventually go get it protuned?
    No. Just remove the intake and go back to stock. It's only hurting your performance, not helping it. Your stock intake already provides more air than the engine can use.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    1. Buy some sort OF EM NOW.

2. Take off the HKS SSQ BOV and sell it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    No. Just remove the intake and go back to stock. It's only hurting your performance, not helping it. Your stock intake already provides more air than the engine can use.
    I would somewhat disagree with that statement. Untuned most intakes hurt more than they help. Tuned they can help a little bit, usually not enough to justify spending the money on them, but since he has one already he might as well keep it and just get tuned for it along with the rest of his mods.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx686 View Post
    yeah for sho i agree with 914er. And pls with the AP it comes with fuel ECO mode, which is ****ing bomb. Made a 700 mile trip on almost one tak of gas!
    Um that would be a pretty good trick since that would mean you got 50 mpg...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulL@YimiSport View Post
    I would somewhat disagree with that statement. Untuned most intakes hurt more than they help. Tuned they can help a little bit, usually not enough to justify spending the money on them, but since he has one already he might as well keep it and just get tuned for it along with the rest of his mods.
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion. If you need more convincing read this, written by some of the most knowledgeable Subaru tuners out there:
    CobbTuning.com - Aftermarket Intakes
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynguy9 View Post
    I bought a 2006 WRX with 15,000 miles a couple of months ago. I have installed a 3" uppipe/downpipe, headers, HKS super sequential blowoff valve, typhoon air intake and a full 3" straight exhaust. The car is a blast to drive. My only concern comes at around 80mph in third gear. Around 5500 RPM the car seems to blurp, then the cruise control light stays on and the check engine light flashes. It only happens when I am really getting on it. I am afraid that this is causing some kind of damage to the engine. Has anyone run into this problem or maybe have a better idea of what exactly is happening?
    1. I hope your catted. 06's have been known to boost spike without cats.
    2. Throw your BOV away.
    3. Our cars are not made to run CAI's. Ever. Tuned or not. Throw it away.
    4. Crappy non researched mods + Abusive driving = Daily driver that will not last long at all.

Side note: I do not have a problem with short rams, if tuned.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.