Best route in your opinion - 300hp
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Best route in your opinion - 300hp within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm tossing around the idea picking up a Impreza Sedan. I'd like to have roughly 300hp (280 -310) to the ...

Question Best route in your opinion - 300hp

I'm tossing around the idea picking up a Impreza Sedan. I'd like to have roughly 300hp (280 -310) to the wheels. I'd like it to be semi new but not brand new, 2005ish with a manual tranny. I have tossed the idea around of just flat out buying the STi but I honestly would mind having a regular WRX tuned up a bit to reach the horse power I had listed. I am open to suggestions. In your guys honest opinion what would the best route be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

get an STI. You'll be able to go stage 2 with your STI and have a perfectly reliable, safe, 300WHP.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    get an STI. You'll be able to go stage 2 with your STI and have a perfectly reliable, safe, 300WHP.
    Yup...find the best example of a 04 or 05 that you can afford and go for it......
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

+1 on getting an STi.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I'm thinking the same way the OP is. I was considering a STI, but I like the heated seats and sunroof the wrx has.

STi is the way to go.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

So it seems to be hands down STi wins? There are no comparable options that would make the WRX more of a bargin? I.E. do these 2-3 mods which cost X number of dollars and you will end up saving Y dollars that will yeild 270-300. The WRX doesn't necessarily need to hit exactly 300 but I'd like it to be semi close.

Anyone else been down this road when planning to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by vdub2sube View Post
    I'm thinking the same way the OP is. I was considering a STI, but I like the heated seats and sunroof the wrx has.
    Some of my exact thoughts.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chosaru View Post
    So it seems to be hands down STi wins? There are no comparable options that would make the WRX more of a bargin? I.E. do these 2-3 mods which cost X number of dollars and you will end up saving Y dollars that will yeild 270-300. The WRX doesn't necessarily need to hit exactly 300 but I'd like it to be semi close.

Anyone else been down this road when planning to buy?
    If you're after 300 RELIABLE whp, it's more cost-effective to start with the STI.

300hp is plenty capable of making the wrx transmission into cannon fodder.
    An STI trans/diff swap can be around 6K or more. Buying a 10K WRX, and 3000$ mods or more to get to 300whp, now youre at 13K.. add 6K for a trans that you'll likely soon need, now youre at 19k.. Guess what? you now have a 19K$ wrx worth 9-10k, maybe.

How do I know? I'm living it.

Do yourself, your wallet, your sanity and your patience a favor. If you want power, buy an STI and enjoy it. If you want to play russian roulette, buy a wrx and build to make 300whp.
    Rogan o_0

Thank you Rogan, I was looking for well built replies like that. I wasn't sure what the weak points were on the car that would cause more of a head ache and make me want/wish I saved a few more coins to buy the STi.

I Support ClubWRX
    no worries. I wish I'd bought an STI, instead of a WRX. At the time, I thought the same: I'll just get a WRX, and build it for more power..

I'm very close to 10K deep in the build, and havent even touched the glass-like transmission..
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    no worries. I wish I'd bought an STI, instead of a WRX. At the time, I thought the same: I'll just get a WRX, and build it for more power..

I'm very close to 10K deep in the build, and havent even touched the glass-like transmission..
    i know sti is the **** and all that, but for some one looking for a 300 whp i personaly think you will still be ok with a wrx if you don't go crazy on the tranny.. don't every launch it and your glass tranny will last you a long long time if not as long as you have the car, drive it like its not yours and you can even kill the tranny with the base power no mods done... i have a 07 wrx and got it brand new... 25 k on 295 whp and havent had any issues with the tranny... the only thing i know that will go before its time would be the clutch. .. know lets see ive spent a total of 2500$ on engine mods to get it there and a total of 800$ on the suspension and i can tell you my car will out handle and out run a base sti.. i dont know the price difference in US but here in canada there is a 15k difference .. so yes minus the tranny which i dont think ill ever need to upgrade as long as i have the car i am still ahead.. mind you i am not saying dont get the sti if you have the $$$$, i know would have if i had the cash, but since i didnt and i went this road instead i still think its not as bad as every one say it is .. and you know how it is even with an sti youll want to mod it ...
    my 02.C
    Last edited by alphaomega0; 04-10-2008 at 08:01 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree ^^.. But I'm WELL OVER 300whp, like 360-370 @ 15psi, and not even fully tuned yet (will eventually tune to 20-22psi.) A proper/completed tune on my 02WRX will yield me 400+whp on pump gas, and I'm on stock 5speed and clutch. But, I don't shock the trans (clutch dumps, power-shifts, etc.) I have seen stock 5 speed transmissions spill the beans on Stg2 (mid 200whp) on 3rd gear dyno pulls, unshocked.. So even a heavy accel on an onramp can produce the same, likely more, loads onto the transmission..

I'm just saying there's a high probablility, and it isn't cheap when it goes. not even close.

Every day, I commute in my WRX, and every day, my arse is drawn up tight, waiting for an acceleration to spit the diff or trans out..
    Rogan o_0

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    I agree ^^.. But I'm WELL OVER 300whp, like 360-370 @ 15psi, and not even fully tuned yet (will eventually tune to 20-22psi.) A proper/completed tune on my 02WRX will yield me 400+whp on pump gas, and I'm on stock 5speed and clutch. But, I don't shock the trans (clutch dumps, power-shifts, etc.) I have seen stock 5 speed transmissions spill the beans on Stg2 (mid 200whp) on 3rd gear dyno pulls, unshocked.. So even a heavy accel on an onramp can produce the same, likely more, loads onto the transmission..

I'm just saying there's a high probablility, and it isn't cheap when it goes. not even close.

Every day, I commute in my WRX, and every day, my arse is drawn up tight, waiting for an acceleration to spit the diff or trans out..
    lol...damn.. whats your setup to get 370 whp?? correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt an sti start having issues also on 400whp with the tranny?

ive also heard that the 06-07 tranny on the rex is much better so i am hopping i dont have to change the tranny on 300whp for a long long time... but hey its the name of the game right!!

whats a power shift btw?
    Last edited by alphaomega0; 04-10-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast