Best route in your opinion - 300hp - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Best route in your opinion - 300hp within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by alphaomega0 lol...damn.. whats your setup to get 370 whp?? correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaomega0 View Post
    lol...damn.. whats your setup to get 370 whp?? correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt an sti start having issues also on 400whp with the tranny?
    LOL.. mucho money. GT32/55 turbo, rotated uppipe, fully-built STI block, WRX heads, reworked, 3" TBE, EWG, FMIC, 800cc inj., CAI, BOV, EMS, etc., etc...

ive also heard that the 06-07 tranny on the rex is much better so i am hopping i dont have to change the tranny on 300whp for a long long time... but hey its the name of the game right!!
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no one can tell you how long your transmission can last. my friend has a 370whp wrx with the stock 03 5spd tranny still.

i'm pretty sure the sti 6spd can handle more than 400whp depending on how it's driven. (i.e. powershifting through every gear after every stoplight = blown tranny)

whats a power shift btw?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powershift

wikipedia is your friend
    Last edited by SuBiEklD; 04-10-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"

I am aiming for the same power range. Ive got a 07 wrx and I'd like to have it around 300 whp as well.

My personal upgrade path is as follows:
    I currently have a downpipe and exhaust and a pro tune. I believe that leaves me at around 245ish (not sure)

Next I'm going to go with alcohol injectors and equal length headers from perrin along with a re-tune. I think that would put me at about 300 hp.

While I'm at it, I would appreciate any feedback from others about my upgrade path XD

I rarely launch my car or abuse it. I think Ive done it about 3 times since last august. I just want the speed.

edit: I was just informed that equal length headers destroys the boxer sound of your car....Is this true? If so I have to reconsider this lol
    Last edited by deli pastrami; 04-10-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    2007 wrx ltd. crystal grey. Stage 2 YAY!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Several people use the STOCK STI six speed well into the 500WHP range....If I'm not mistaken most of the PR cars run the stock six speed with an aftermarket clutch and they have dipped into the high 10's.

It's going to take ALOT to kill the STI six speed.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by deli pastrami View Post
    Next I'm going to go with alcohol injectors and equal length headers from perrin along with a re-tune. I think that would put me at about 300 hp.
    elaborate how injectors, a header, and a re-tune will net another 55whp?

edit: I was just informed that equal length headers destroys the boxer sound of your car....Is this true? If so I have to reconsider this lol
    It'll sound like a honda but without the fuel economy or reliability.
    Rogan o_0

I didn't know.

so which header will retain the sound that I love?

Rogan, Nice power output on your WRX. Unfortunetly, I don't believe I will ever attempt to go that high with the HP. Like I said, I would stay in the 270 -300 range. So far I've seen one WRX owner say he has had decent success with mods (3,000) thus saving him the money he would have spent to get an STi. Any other cases of this? If so what mods, how much did you spend, is your car reliable, and your honest opinion?

I forgot to mention my drive style is not hard on cars at all. I have spirited roll on moments.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    i know sti is the **** and all that, but for some one looking for a 300 whp i personaly think you will still be ok with a wrx
    NOPE never a good idea to suggest a 300hp WRX to someone who wants reliability.

one bad move and goodbye 3rd gear, hello 6 thousand dollar repair bill.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

ok. so 300 is bad. I've known this but never knew it was THAT bad. Can't you switch the transmission (even if it is pricey lol)?? I personally like 5 gears and not having to shift as often on a 6 speed. Are there "better" 5 speeds you can put in to solve the 300 hp saftey limit? Or is an STI trans the only way to go? Please dont say just buy an sti because I do not have one
    (link if you can please!)

-thanks

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    http://www.andrewtechautomotive.com/

PPG gears are rock solid, there are advantages to the STI 6 speed but sourcing them and installing them is much more work.

PPG have some sort of guarantee and they are good for as much power as you want.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    A huge CON of the wrx trans is it's "clamshell" design. when high torque-loads are inflicted on it, the gears naturally try to push away from each other. The shaft bearing housings also start to flex. this allows the teeth to have less contact surface.. next thing you know - blang..

The STI is a barrel-type design. And the shaft bearings are housed in a solid cast iron plate, that doesn't allow the shafts to try and walk away from each other..
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If you're after 300 RELIABLE whp, it's more cost-effective to start with the STI.

300hp is plenty capable of making the wrx transmission into cannon fodder.
    An STI trans/diff swap can be around 6K or more. Buying a 10K WRX, and 3000$ mods or more to get to 300whp, now youre at 13K.. add 6K for a trans that you'll likely soon need, now youre at 19k.. Guess what? you now have a 19K$ wrx worth 9-10k, maybe.

How do I know? I'm living it.

Do yourself, your wallet, your sanity and your patience a favor. If you want power, buy an STI and enjoy it. If you want to play russian roulette, buy a wrx and build to make 300whp.
    +gospel

I took a similar route and while I love my WRX, it has taken plenty of money to get it to where it is. Buying an STI in the first place would have made alot more sense. However, when I bought my WRX I did intend to leave it stock.

If you do decide to go the WRX route, start searching for used parts. There are great deals to be had if you look around enough.

Some examples from my own experience

Tein SS-P Coilovers - $740
    Bosal Divorced DP + gutted 3rd cat + Cobb 3" SS Catback - $150
    Volk TE37 16x7.5 + 225/50r16 RE01R tires - $1500
    K&N Crinkle Red SRI - $150
    2006 STI TMIC - $300
    2006 STI Transmission(w. all required components for WRX install) - $3200

The first three lines are great deals, the next line was a decent deal, the one after that was an impulse buy while having my turbo installed, and the last line was a great deal that I found right when I needed it.

Here's a look at what my car has dyno'd with a vf34 and open source dyno tune:

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    http://www.andrewtechautomotive.com/

PPG gears are rock solid, there are advantages to the STI 6 speed but sourcing them and installing them is much more work.

PPG have some sort of guarantee and they are good for as much power as you want.
    Hey! I know about andrewtech, they're right around the corner from me!

Thanks for the link, however I think I almost defecated myself when I saw the options for my car. syncro....dog....helical.....I'm so lost.

From what I read I think the helical would be the quietest? which gears am I supposed to get? 3+4? 1+2?

I would just like to be able to pass the 300hp cap without sounding like a locomotive because of a new gearbox.

Sorry...I'm a beginner. Also, is it just drop in and go? What else is required?

A huge CON of the wrx trans is it's "clamshell" design. when high torque-loads are inflicted on it, the gears naturally try to push away from each other. The shaft bearing housings also start to flex. this allows the teeth to have less contact surface.. next thing you know - blang..

The STI is a barrel-type design. And the shaft bearings are housed in a solid cast iron plate, that doesn't allow the shafts to try and walk away from each other..
    In addition to the above, the STI transmission will also allow you to enjoy the benefit of DCCD. The STI transmission has a better oiling system, and plus you'll gain the bragging rights of - icanhassixth.

The closer gear ratios also are better for daily driving.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

elaborate how injectors, a header, and a re-tune will net another 55whp?
    +1, not sure how you think this is going to happen. The headers aren't going to do much (if anything). Subaru does a very good job designing the stock headers. Your stock injectors should be flowing enough for this setup, though they might be up towards the max. So the tune is the only things I see here that would power, and you're certainly not going to get 55 WHP from it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast