>>Turbo Timer<< Help :confused:
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on >>Turbo Timer<< Help :confused: within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok i have been looking around and even got a few prices on getting a turbo timer fitted to my ...

>>Turbo Timer<< Help :confused:

Ok i have been looking around and even got a few prices on getting a turbo timer fitted to my 2001 wrx. But everyone is telling me that i have to change from my stock alarm system as the key acts as the Immobilizer. there for when i take the key out the car will turn of...

And getting a new alarm fitted is not exactly cheap as i dont want a crappy one.

So at the moment i stay in the car and let it warm down for a few mins...

How important is it to let the car warm down? and what sort of time should u let it idle for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch-my01rex View Post
    How important is it to let the car warm down? and what sort of time should u let it idle for?
    Mitch
    we have oil cooled turbos you don't have any use for a turbo timer at all, you can turn you car off as soon as your done driving. the cooling system continues to work until the turbo is cooled down.

Save the money there is no need for a turbo timer on our cars.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

well dont i feel stupid!

I can't believe all the people i have seen about it and no one told me about this...

Thanks alot for that.

If you dont mind could you just explain that to me. how the oil cooling works after the car is turned of... thanks again

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    well dont i feel stupid!

I can't believe all the people i have seen about it and no one told me about this...

Thanks alot for that.

If you dont mind could you just explain that to me. how the oil cooling works after the car is turned of... thanks again
    the way i understand it
    the heat left in the system actually moves the oil thru the turbo thus cooling it.
    Just like steam moves thru pipes
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

A little OT but mitch you put brisbane as your location, is that brisbane CA in the bay area or some other state?

Welcome to the Boards
    07 WRX TR
    | APS CAI | APS TMIC | SPT Short Throw Shifter | SRs 3" DP + Greedy EVO 2 CB | Blouch DOM 3.0R | Deatchwerks 750's | Walbro FP | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Up Pipe | Perrin EBCS | Prodrive Springs | 1-4 Helical PPG's | Pro Tuned by Mike @ GSTMotorsports 319 whp / 317 wtq @ 20 PSI |

That would be brisbane queensland australia

That would be brisbane queensland australia
    HAHA way off lol thanks anyways, i wish i could live in australlia
    07 WRX TR
    | APS CAI | APS TMIC | SPT Short Throw Shifter | SRs 3" DP + Greedy EVO 2 CB | Blouch DOM 3.0R | Deatchwerks 750's | Walbro FP | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Up Pipe | Perrin EBCS | Prodrive Springs | 1-4 Helical PPG's | Pro Tuned by Mike @ GSTMotorsports 319 whp / 317 wtq @ 20 PSI |

haha no worries mate! yeah aussie pretty awesome. but never been anywhere else but new zealand! so i wouldnt no!

I Support ClubWRX
    A TT is good in other turbocharged cars, but not for ours. There are aftermarket turbos that are not both oil/water cooled, in which case, a TT would be a worthwhile upgrade.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Mitch
    we have oil cooled turbos you don't have any use for a turbo timer at all, you can turn you car off as soon as your done driving. the cooling system continues to work until the turbo is cooled down.

Save the money there is no need for a turbo timer on our cars.
    The turbos are both oil and water cooled. If they were only oil cooled, then you could use a turbo timer.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Oh yeah so the subaru's have both.

So the only reason you would let it idle for a min or so is if it had been driven hard right up until you stop?

Thaks for all the help guys now i wont have to sit in my car and wait till i think it has idled for enough!!

I always drive slowly at low rpms for the last mile or so of my drive. Staying out of boost will let the turbo cool down a bit. If I was really pushing the car, I'll let it idle for a minute in the driveway before I shut it off. I don't care if the turbo is water cooled or not, if it's really hot when you shut the car off, I still want the water pump to push some fluid through it to help cool it down.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I always drive slowly at low rpms for the last mile or so of my drive. Staying out of boost will let the turbo cool down a bit. If I was really pushing the car, I'll let it idle for a minute in the driveway before I shut it off. I don't care if the turbo is water cooled or not, if it's really hot when you shut the car off, I still want the water pump to push some fluid through it to help cool it down.
    This is probably the best thing to do.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

..to my 2001 wrx.
    another indication of australia, not california.

the way i understood it, the coolant is whats evaporating, creating pressure to circulate the oil, and will continue to do so, until everything is cool enough to stop evaporating coolant. so yeah, a turbo timer isnt needed, since the coolant is evaporating, even when its turned off.

needless to say (evaporating coolant, and all), i have a turbo timer. its interior bling! plus, nothing says 'look how awesome my car is' more than seeing it idle for 10 seconds after getting out of it.
    "I do well to be angry, even unto death."
    I ♥ rice

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.