2 questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2 questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, the first one is- my friend is taking his ap back, so i will now be back on no ...

2 questions

ok, the first one is-
    my friend is taking his ap back, so i will now be back on no tune, so how much power do you guys think i would be making at the wheels?

and the next one is-
    i also might be getting a deadbolt 18g...is this a good idea? how do they perform on the ej20s? would this turbo be too big?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You should really change your user name to :Toomuchboost:
    The MBC should be removed and returned to stock, our engines are not like others where you can turn the boost up and drive. The AP will raise it slightly, but not even to 18.

Use our search engine for MBC. Read about it.

For the turbo if your goal is 300whp you could check out www.jscspeed.com for a IHI series VF34 should yeild around 290whp full spool at 3200rpms or for 310whp a VF22, but its gunna lag the most due to it will not be fully spooled until 3600rpms.

Id say get a VF34, loose the MBC, get a uppipe, fuel pump, STI (pink) injectors, and upgrade your IC to an STi IC, and get a tune. You'll also need to figure out which EM system you will want to go with since you no longer have the AP.

Also I assume you have a 5mt, dont forget that your trans will be close to its limitations on how much power it can hold, you may want to consider that before upgrading the turbo. Probally no further than stage 2 on a stock 5mt
    Last edited by jeffmm06; 01-09-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

thanks for the tips..
    when it comes to the mbc, i am going to drop it too 17 soon...and then get tuned on that....

and when it comes to the turbos, i had considered a ihi turbo, but the price and the fact that you cant rebuild them deterred me...
    and plus i am getting a really good deal on a 18g...

but i will look into the vf34 and vf22 more...

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NotEnufBoost View Post
    thanks and when it comes to the turbos, i had considered a ihi turbo, but the price and the fact that you cant rebuild them deterred me...
    and plus i am getting a really good deal on a 18g...
    but i will look into the vf34 and vf22 more...
    I would search Ebay & WRX for sale forums. They always have VF34s,VF39s, & VF43s for sale at half the price of new. Good luck.

And DEFINATELY get some EM.

Here's some good info. http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/turbo/ihi_turbo.htm
    Last edited by 20WRX04; 01-09-2008 at 11:40 AM.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

VF turbos are a good way to go because you don't need to go crazy with supporting mods and they yield great power gains especially for the money. You won't HAVE to upgrade to a FMIC, but an STI or larger TMIC would do nicely. You also could just pop in some STI injectors or STI Pinks and be perfectly fine with your fuel.

An 18G isn't terrible, but it would be a bit laggy on the 2.0L when compared to the IHI turbos.

And just be careful with your MBC...I would disconnect completely or lower it to stock without your engine management, until you get it tuned.

A lot of people around here will trash MBCs, but if you know how to use them, they can be a good mod...but without being tuned...I'd steer clear just to be safe.

As for your transmission...once you go to 300hp or so...you're about to hit the redzone and risk a chance of blowing it pretty quickly. Its not definite of course, but the added power, you just have to be much more careful about banging around gear/launching, etc...goodluck with everything dude
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

18g is great if you don't mind some extra lag
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    18g is great if you don't mind some extra lag
    How much extra lag?

300-500rpm extra maybe, but u have a 2.5 so I wouldn't worry about it
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

I wouldn't consider it a question of "how much hp" your gonna have without any EM, but rather "how soon till i break something?".
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.