Turbo Timer? Or No?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Turbo Timer? Or No? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an '07 WRX and was going to get a turbo timer for it. But then a few people ...

Turbo Timer? Or No?

I have an '07 WRX and was going to get a turbo timer for it. But then a few people told me that it was a waste of money/time to have one on a '07 WRX. Heres what the guy said.

Kevlar: it's because of how the coolant system is designed/setup
    Kevlar: the coolant goes from the turbo to the coolant reservoir, and the reservoir is above the level of the turbo
    Me: so a turbo timer is a total waste of time on a '07 WRX
    Kevlar: so when you shut the car off, the coolant in the turbo heats up and rises through convection up to the coolant tank, pulling in cooler coolant and repeating the process
    Kevlar: yep, waste of time and money
    Kevlar: just dont do a WOT run and shut the car off immediately after, lol
    Kevlar: but with normal driving, or even some heavy-footed normal driving, there's no need to let the turbo cool before shutting the car off

Is this true or not? Cause if it is then i wont get one but if it is not true then i would like to get a Turbo Timer. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you dont need it because it turbo is water and oil cooled
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

ya but isnt it true when you shut of the engine quickly the oil may sit in the turbo or in the lines and cause the turbo/lines to loose life. Doesnt the TT just help to extend the life of the Turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by Jelliefish38 View Post
    ya but isnt it true when you shut of the engine quickly the oil may sit in the turbo or in the lines and cause the turbo/lines to loose life. Doesnt the TT just help to extend the life of the Turbo?
    it helps extends the life of a oil cooled turbo only... like in a evo
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    it helps extends the life of a oil cooled turbo only... like in a evo
    I can't think of a modern car that needs a turbo timer and have no idea how or why they are still sold, since the number of oil-cooled turbos is very small today.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What the guy told you was completely true i had read that same article somewhere and to this day i cant seem to find it, it was a really cool article talking about how the coolant circulates through the turbo even after the car is off. If you really wanted to get a turbo timer just get an alarm system that has it built in, my buddy has one on his evo 9, but like stated above it really wont make a difference.
    07 WRX TR
    | APS CAI | APS TMIC | SPT Short Throw Shifter | SRs 3" DP + Greedy EVO 2 CB | Blouch DOM 3.0R | Deatchwerks 750's | Walbro FP | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Up Pipe | Perrin EBCS | Prodrive Springs | 1-4 Helical PPG's | Pro Tuned by Mike @ GSTMotorsports 319 whp / 317 wtq @ 20 PSI |

Quote Originally Posted by Jelliefish38 View Post
    Doesnt the TT just help to extend the life of the Turbo?
    because of the way modern water/oil cooled turbos work, the turbo timer would only be wasting fuel, by idling the engine longer than it needs to.

needless to say, i have one on my '07 wagon. its bling factor, and its set for 10 seconds. anything more than that is just showing off.
    "I do well to be angry, even unto death."
    I ♥ rice

Quote Originally Posted by 07wrx4life View Post
    What the guy told you was completely true i had read that same article somewhere and to this day i cant seem to find it, it was a really cool article talking about how the coolant circulates through the turbo even after the car is off. If you really wanted to get a turbo timer just get an alarm system that has it built in, my buddy has one on his evo 9, but like stated above it really wont make a difference.
    An alarm with remote start can be used as a TT. Our cars don't need them, what others above have said - and this post that I'm quoting above, is correct AFAIK.

Still, getting into a warm car in the winter, and a cooled car in the summer is nice - though it does arguably waste fuel.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Jelliefish38 - I am in the process of rebuilding my motor because it failed after 80k miles. I have a 2004 WRX. When the motor failed I was baffled as to why so I spoke with Vivid Racing and Gruppe-S a lot to become more familiar with the motor and turbo and both shops agreed that a turbo timer was/is not needed on oil/water cooled turbos, such as those found in Subarus. Both shops explained the convection process explained by members above.
    JT - Proposed For Spring 2008:
    • Axis Racing stage 2 EJ25 w/ported & polished EJ20 heads
    • Cobb AP
    • Turbo w/ up-pipe and TBE - all to be determined in near future.
    • STi pink injectors w/255 fuel pump
    • STi TMIC

Hey thanks alot guys. You saved me alot of money, not just on a TT, but also like many of you said, on wasted fuel. Thank god for Subaru ingenuity.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.