Questions about mods to my '08
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions about mods to my '08 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I haven't made any serious mods to my '08 yet because there hasn't really been anything made for ...

Questions about mods to my '08

Hey everyone,

I haven't made any serious mods to my '08 yet because there hasn't really been anything made for the new models. But i'm getting a a bit antsy. Now, my first issue/question is based on my previous car...I used to have a VW GLI, and i put a cold air, and diverter valve in it, and i loved the "whistle". Would putting a diverter valve do anything for my car in terms of enhancing the sound? I don't ever hear a turbo "whistle" w/ mine, but honestly i just don't know much about the subarus. my ex boyfriend did most of the work to my old car, but i knew a lot more about vw than i know about subbies. Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated, i know you guys are the best source for info, so, please....inform me! thanks a bunch!

Desiree

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

The 08's are still pretty new so there isn't a huge mod base out for them yet. Putting a By Pass Valve or BPV (What we call Subarus Diverter Valve) is not going to be a performance gain on a Subie. On the VW's in addition to sound you replaced the clunky chronically breaking plastic DV's. Changing it on a Subie might get you a little sound.

Cold air intakes (CAI's) net little to no performance gain and will run you $250.

Your best go fast mods (and turbo noise makers) when they become available will be a down pipe (DP) and some form of Engine Managment (EM). That will give you a very substantial power gain.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I've been advised to just get a K&N drop in filter, it doesn't give you a whistle.. it's more of a woosh.. i mean it's all about what you want but you can get one of those filters for like $40.. my $.02

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoopAnup View Post
    I've been advised to just get a K&N drop in filter, it doesn't give you a whistle.. it's more of a woosh.. i mean it's all about what you want but you can get one of those filters for like $40.. my $.02
    Thats a good Idea! They probably make them already too. The stock air box is the best intake anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopAnup View Post
    Is this a standard cloth filter? What would create the difference? I appreciate your advice, I just want to understand whats going on too Thanks a bunch!

desiree

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by russanod View Post
    Is this a standard cloth filter? What would create the difference? I appreciate your advice, I just want to understand whats going on too Thanks a bunch!

desiree
    K&N Drop in is not the same as a stanard cloth filter.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Welcome.

Cold air intakes (CAI's) net little to no performance gain and will run you $250.
    CAI's offer alot of power gain and reduced intake temps. You just need to be tuned/logged to see the gain. A short ram is what offers no gain because of all the heat soak. You cant just through on a CAI without any tuning or logging and expect it to run well because of the sensitive MAF. Theres ECU maps out right now that you can only run a 65mm CAI in order to use them.

A CAI is not a good FIRST mod but is good for later down the road along with other simple mods.
    CGM

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PJO42387 View Post
    CAI's offer alot of power gain and reduced intake temps. You just need to be tuned/logged to see the gain. A short ram is what offers no gain because of all the heat soak. You cant just through on a CAI without any tuning or logging and expect it to run well because of the sensitive MAF. Theres ECU maps out right now that you can only run a 65mm CAI in order to use them.

A CAI is not a good FIRST mod but is good for later down the road along with other simple mods.
    On an NA car yes I agree. But on a turbo car just follow the air path.

1. Sucked into the filter.
    2. Sucked to the turbo which is super heated by exhaust gas. Heat is transferred from hot side to the air.
    3. Air is now compressed and above ambient Temps.
    4. Air is then passed to the IC and cooled down again.
    5. Air is then blown into motor.

My question to you, "Why would you spend $250 to suck in Cold air only to have it re heated and cooled down again?"

Again on a Subaru a CAI nets very little power at all. FYI the stock airbox is more efficient a CAI then most you can buy.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 11-15-2007 at 09:07 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Not To mention the CAI actually draws in hotter air than the stock airbox.

I Support ClubWRX

desiree
    I'm not a fan of oil impregnated anything on a MAF car. They have their place on Desert Runners, Dune Buggies, Quads and Dirt bikes just for maintainability, but not too much on a street car.

AFE makes a cleanable non oiling synthetic polymer filter that I have on order. I would go either with that or the stock paper filter. (I have a Green Flat Panel Filter and am not impressed.)
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

OGB
    Hey everyone,
    I don't ever hear a turbo "whistle" w/ mine
    an after market BOV would make a louder noise than the stock BPV. don't forget to recirculate it, your car would get mad.

a cat back would bring out the Boxer Rawr.
    Mods
    "If you're not breakin' ****, you're not goin' fast enough."

I Support ClubWRX
    A DIY mod that likely applies to the 08 WRX (if the intake is similar to the Legacy) is to open up the intake box that hold the filter, pull out the filter, and then pull out the resonator box that sits inside the entire filter box assembley. It looks like the pic I've attached. You can also put in a high flow filter of some sort at the same time (stay away from oiled..just my opinion).

Neither of these will give a noticable performance increase, but you will be able to hear your BPV let go, and some wastegate action as it opens and closes. Potentially hear the turbo a bit better too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lgt resonator.JPG  
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

On an NA car yes I agree. But on a turbo car just follow the air path.

1. Sucked into the filter.
    2. Sucked to the turbo which is super heated by exhaust gas. Heat is transferred from hot side to the air.
    3. Air is now compressed and above ambient Temps.
    4. Air is then passed to the IC and cooled down again.
    5. Air is then blown into motor.

My question to you, "Why would you spend $250 to suck in Cold air only to have it re heated and cooled down again?"

Again on a Subaru a CAI nets very little power at all. FYI the stock airbox is more efficient a CAI then most you can buy.
    So does frozen meat cook just as fast as thawed out meat?
    CGM

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PJO42387 View Post
    So does frozen meat cook just as fast as thawed out meat?
    Too bad motors don't run on meat cause thats the only way that analogy would even begin to be valid.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Too bad motors don't run on meat cause thats the only way that analogy would even begin to be valid.
    CGM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast