ebay up/down pipe vs. cbe vs. cobb AP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on ebay up/down pipe vs. cbe vs. cobb AP within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've spent the last 3 hours searching for all these topics and i havent quite found all the information im ...

ebay up/down pipe vs. cbe vs. cobb AP

I've spent the last 3 hours searching for all these topics and i havent quite found all the information im looking for. I have my 02 bugeye that has a lightened flywheel, steering bushings and lowering springs, and am going to get some exhaust around christmas. I am planning on buying it off ebay, but im not sure if i should go for the catback exhaust, or instead get an uppipe and downpipe. I cant afford all three at the moment and either have to take the cbe or the up/down combo. I want to know what everyone thinks if i should go for the better sound or the performance. Also, i plan on getting the Ap eventually, but most likely not for another year or so, so could i run the up/down on my car w/o the Ap and be fine? What would the up/down sound like w/ the stock muffler? Do people typically do this?
    And my last question is how much should i spend on an uppie or downpipe on ebay. Ive seen uppipes on ebay for 25 but i wouldnt feel comfortable buyin one that cheap, are the cheap-os in the 40-60 range good or reliable? SAme question for the downpipe.

thanks a lot this will be a big help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

up-pipe and downpipe
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

I recommnd you use the search to start reading and learning - buy quality used parts from other forum members instead of junk from ebay. I wouldn't recommend changing the up/dp until you handle engine management.

Go for the catback if you feel like it - it won't make much if any difference other than the exhaust sound. Hit the link in my sig for bugeye owners.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

whoa whoa whoa... Lets not feed misinformation about the ERZ parts. Just because they dont have a name brand doesn't mean its any worse than your expensive name brand parts. My ERZ parts fit just as well any other parts, but for what you paid for a downpipe, I got both my up and my down. Just because you throw money at parts doesn't make them any better than the ERZ parts.

I'd say go with the up and down, then get a tactrix, flash stage II, and you'll be putting out enough HP to keep you happy for a while.
    '02 Stage II WRX PSM Sport Wagon

...and one more thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end.- Homer Simpson

Teh Wagon

I paid $150 for my bosal divorced downpipe, gutted 3rd cat, and cobb 3" CBE all used and in fine shape.

How much did you pay for your up and down?
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Banned
    Moral of the story- don't eff with the guy pointing the gun to your face

But yeah. I paid 410$ shiped for ERZ up down and CBE
    Last edited by Not-EWRX; 11-11-2007 at 08:24 PM.

it helps make up for the amount of money I spend on labor

other used deals I've gotten

Tein SS-P coilovers - $740

K&N Typhoon Crinkle Red SRI - $150

STI TMIC - $300

2006 STI Trans, clutch, flywheel, crossmember, linkage, shift knob, shift boot, interior piece and trim ring - $3200

STI Headrest Covers, brand new WRX floormats, one cleared headlight - Free from co-worker who used to own a 2002(and who will hopefully one day find the other headlight).

Banned
    Those are some killer deals. I like the labor though. It one of the reasons I like modding the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Running a UP/DP without EM is never a good idea ... if you can't afford to tune the vehicle, then stick with the CBE (as Micah said)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Running a UP/DP without EM is never a good idea ... if you can't afford to tune the vehicle, then stick with the CBE (as Micah said)
    There are proper ways of doing it on that model though

not looking to start a fight bro... I'm just saying, If you're comparing new parts to new parts, the ERZ combo is hard to beat. My parts fit perfect, and do the same thing as more expensive parts. I paid 260 for everything (not shipped) and then had enough to get my AP used down the road. It's cool that you got a good deal and you're happy with your parts, but come on man, dont say stuff about parts you've never used..... I love my ERZ up/down combo, and it left some money in the wallet.

...and one more thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end.- Homer Simpson

Teh Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    To be fair, he has an '02. I did the same thing with my car for about 8 months and had no issues. With the 2.0 I wasn't worried about creep, and I never even installed the Helix CEL Fix that I bought (cause there never was a need to). You can do almost anything to an '02. I still say, get the Up/Down combo, get EM as soon as you can, and enjoy!

Teh Wagon

what kind of power increases could i expect running the up and downpipes w/ the stock muffler? Would it be similar to running a full tbe?

Quote Originally Posted by budahrocket View Post
    what kind of power increases could i expect running the up and downpipes w/ the stock muffler? Would it be similar to running a full tbe?
    I expect the power increase would be nearly the same as running a full TBE. The stock dp and up are the major sources of restriction. The uppipe especially as it's a source of restriction before the turbo.

To give you an idea of what to expect - go to Cobb's website and look at their Stage 2 - that's an uppipe/downpipe with engine management.

Without engine management - I have no idea, and I wouldn't recommend it.

what would be the consequences of running the up and down erz's with the cel fixes for awhile until i get enough money for a used accessport?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast