Stage 3 WRX vs. STI
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 3 WRX vs. STI within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2006 WRX 5MT, it is currently stage 2. I have purchased a VF39 turbo, some 2004 STi ...

Stage 3 WRX vs. STI

I have a 2006 WRX 5MT, it is currently stage 2. I have purchased a VF39 turbo, some 2004 STi injectors, I will be buying a TMIC and Walbro Fuel Pump.
    I have heard that the spoolage on the stock WRX is alot faster than the STI, at what RPM's will the turbo kick in? and is a Cobb tunned, or pro tunned WRX faster than a stock STI?
    Possibly just a dumb question but Im curious.
    INFaRED"06" WRX STage 2
    Perrin Catless UP,Invidia Catted DP,
    COBB AP,Greedy EVO2
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #77"Where 06 & 07 Unite"
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by INFARED View Post
    I have a 2006 WRX 5MT, it is currently stage 2. I have purchased a VF39 turbo, some 2004 STi injectors, I will be buying a TMIC and Walbro Fuel Pump.
    I have heard that the spoolage on the stock WRX is alot faster than the STI, at what RPM's will the turbo kick in? and is a Cobb tunned, or pro tunned WRX faster than a stock STI?
    Possibly just a dumb question but Im curious.

First off you wasted the money on injectors. 2006 WRX came with blue tops rated at 565cc.

Second if you swap in a VF39 and tune it you will essentially have an sti with a 5MT.

If you run a Cobb Stage 2 Vf39 map, you will have a stage 2 Sti.

So what you are calling a Stage3 WRX = Stage 2 STI
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for the info, i knew i really didnt need the injectors. Only paid a few bucks for them, i can post the for sale later anyways. But thanks for the info.
    INFaRED"06" WRX STage 2
    COBB AP,Greedy EVO2

You'll actually have a bit more HP than a Stage 2 STI because the WRX heads are higher compression. Get a ProTune on a VF-39 '06 WRX, and you'll walk OTS Mapped Stage 2 STIs in a straight line.
    Last edited by Robert46123; 09-26-2007 at 11:09 AM.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert46123 View Post
    You'll actually have a bit more HP than a Stage 2 STI because the WRX heads are higher compression. Get a ProTune on a VF-39 '06 WRX, and you'll walk OTS Mapped Stage 2 STIs in a straight line.
    Thats because if:

OTS STG3 WRX = OTS STG2 STi

Then

Protune STG3 WRX > OTS STG2 STi

Thats simple math and a no brainer. Anything protuned will always beat OTS like for like.

The question is:

Does Protune STG 3 WRX = Protune STG2 STi??
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by INFARED View Post
    Thanks for the info, i knew i really didnt need the injectors. Only paid a few bucks for them, i can post the for sale later anyways. But thanks for the info.
    The pinks don't flow as well as your stock injectors should of left em in......

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Thats because if:

Then

Thats simple math and a no brainer. Anything protuned will always beat OTS like for like.

The question is:

With the higher compression on the WRX I'd say yes. My comparison may be a no brainer, but it's more in line with reality. How many people run out and spend $400 on a ProTune for a Stage 2 setup STI or WRX? Not that many. However, getting a ProTune for a WRX VF-39 setup is a "no brainer" and most people will go that route. I've seen several poeple put down over 300 WHP and gobs more torque than any Stage 2 STI with a ProTune or otherwise with just a VF-39, TBE and STI TMIC on '06s with a ProTune.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats because if:

Then

The question is:

Then you have to factor in launch, gearing, and a few other variables.

Over on IWSTI and Nasioc it's VERY common to have ProTuned stage2 STI's. The torque the 07's are making is pretty decent considering you arent losing time shifting into 2nd. There has been some very low 12's with 07 STI's.

I think a vf39 wrx would have a hard time doing that. The heads dont flow well, the IC isnt as good, and the tranny/drivetrain wont put up with as much abuse.

But of course this is magazine racing to it's fullest.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post

Over on IWSTI and Nasioc it's VERY common to have ProTuned stage2 STI's. The torque the 07's are making is pretty decent considering you arent losing time shifting into 2nd. There has been some very low 12's with 07 STI's.

I think a vf39 wrx would have a hard time doing that. The heads dont flow well, the IC isnt as good, and the tranny/drivetrain wont put up with as much abuse.

If I ever get me a VF39 or VF43, I already have an STI TMIC, A TBE, and a AP V2. Well have to seee cause Ill dyno protunne and OTS stage 2
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Im almost there, i have the turbo, now im looking for a TMIC, and fuel pump. Im still debating wether to go TIMC or FMIC, dont have that much money. Was considering SSAC since ive heard good things about it. But was wondering if its possible to put on the front mount, and load COBBS Map until i can get a protune. Cause driving from Jersey to Conneticut, or Maryland is a hike.
    INFaRED"06" WRX STage 2
    COBB AP,Greedy EVO2

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar

+1, the '07 STI is a whole other beast. Plus, you must consider the undeniable weakness of the 5MT. I'll never even go Stage 2 on the 2.5L because my car needs to last.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I'll never even go Stage 2 on the 2.5L because my car needs to last.
    Meh I'm stage 2 and have been for 15k miles-ish. Been to the track for 7-10 launched 1320 runs and no issues with the tranny. I was paranoid, but everytime I think its making noise I just tighten my shift knob.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

this is seriously the most interesting and informative thread ive read in a while. solid technical info on here, and im lovin it
    "Whatever it takes"

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Meh I'm stage 2 and have been for 15k miles-ish. Been to the track for 7-10 launched 1320 runs and no issues with the tranny. I was paranoid, but everytime I think its making noise I just tighten my shift knob.
    I get your point but I'm going to need a little more than 15k reliable miles out of my car if I go Stage 2. The most anyone has gone (on an '06 @ Stage 2) that I know of is 25k.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I Support ClubWRX

I would have to stand by this. It will be close, but all things being considerd, the edge would still go to the stage 2 STi. I would predict the STi gets out of the whole quicker and the WRX would almost catch it at the finish line. Driver's being equal of course.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.