Stage 3 WRX vs. STI - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Stage 3 WRX vs. STI within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven I get your point but I'm going to need a little more than 15k reliable miles ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I get your point but I'm going to need a little more than 15k reliable miles out of my car if I go Stage 2. The most anyone has gone (on an '06 @ Stage 2) that I know of is 25k.
    I have 25k on a Protuned VF39 setup with a 2006 WRX, and I've done about 40 Launches at the track... Look at my numbers below. Definitely got some power.

I seem to remember in 06 how everyone was scared to go stage 2 on the 2.5L WRX. There were a few early build dates that had questionable transmissions, but since then I have yet to hear of a Stage 2 2.5L WRX blowing a transmission with anything short of repeated drops and donuts... Those idiots could've killed their tranny stock though.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So... bottom line. if a random person with no limited knowledge of cars asks you "So how would your stage 3 wrx do against a stage 2 STi?"

i kno the turbo type matters quite a bit, along with the supporting mods, ect. but what would you say?
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Quote Originally Posted by The_Buck View Post
    So... bottom line. if a random person with no limited knowledge of cars asks you "So how would your stage 3 wrx do against a stage 2 STi?"

i kno the turbo type matters quite a bit, along with the supporting mods, ect. but what would you say?
    Driver's race then.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Driver's race then.
    thats what i like to hear. just thought i'd see what ppl would say. i kno theres too many variables to say flat out, but i get asked all the time how i'd do n i just say idk lol.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Driver's race then.
    There are a lot of things to take into account though.

The 5 gears vs 6 of a STi.. and then how on launch only 3 wheels hook up on a WRX vs all 4 on the STi.

In addition.. are we talking about a 2.5L wrx? or a 2.0L wrx? A stage 2 STi will still beat a vf39'd 2.0L wrx on the same fuel with no injection.

Unfortunately the only way to compare anything is a side by side race... and like Pavia says... Driver's are a big part of that race. A bad driver can lose over 1 second in the quarter mile from what their car is capable of.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

i didnt kno only 3 wheels enganged during launch for the wrx. i guess i was talking 2.0 but its not a big deal just a random question.

I Support ClubWRX
    i didnt kno only 3 wheels enganged during launch for the wrx. i guess i was talking 2.0 but its not a big deal just a random question.
    the 02-07 WRXs have an open differential up front, and a viscous limited slip differential in the rear.

04-07 STis (I haven't looked at newer ones to verify this) Use a Suretrac limited slip differential up front with a viscous limited slip differential in the rear.

So the STi hooks up with all 4 wheels.

The WRX hooks up with both rears and one front... This is one reason why the STi with the same mods will usually out drag a WRX even though the WRX has only 3-4 shifts in the 1/4 mile, whereas the STi has 5.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

wow just another reason i feel inferior to the almighty STi...

I Support ClubWRX
    wow just another reason i feel inferior to the almighty STi...
    You and me both brother.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Yes I know old thread, but when people say reliability is bad with the stage 2 and beyond on a wrx what actually breaks? just the tranny or are we talking blown motors...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Please start your own thread with questions like this.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123