Stage 3 WRX vs. STI - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 3 WRX vs. STI within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven I get your point but I'm going to need a little more than 15k reliable miles ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I get your point but I'm going to need a little more than 15k reliable miles out of my car if I go Stage 2. The most anyone has gone (on an '06 @ Stage 2) that I know of is 25k.
    I wont be a good judge then, cause Ill most likely be stage 3 by then.

Micah went 80k at Stg 3.5 or Stg 4 on a bugeye puttin down 300ish whp. That is much more likely to break a tranny then stg2 06.

edit:

Not to mention after you go stage 2 you wont care. It is like buying a whole new car. Ra gears are like $2500-$2700 installed. meh
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I get your point but I'm going to need a little more than 15k reliable miles out of my car if I go Stage 2. The most anyone has gone (on an '06 @ Stage 2) that I know of is 25k.
    Stage 3, VF39, 362chp/290whp running 12.9s.

Currently 25K miles, on the stock clutch and tranny..., without a single problem whatsoever.... and no evidence (slippage or grindage) that I should expect one in the near future.

Just put in an intake, and Cobb's gonna dynotune me in the next couple weeks, and that will put me at the 310-315 WHP range... not worried at all.

It's the driver... not the transmission.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 09-27-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I wont be a good judge then, cause Ill most likely be stage 3 by then.

Micah went 80k at Stg 3.5 or Stg 4 on a bugeye puttin down 300ish whp. That is much more likely to break a tranny then stg2 06.

edit:

Not to mention after you go stage 2 you wont care. It is like buying a whole new car. Ra gears are like $2500-$2700 installed. meh
    1.) Micah just blew his trans. I need more than 80k miles out of this car.

2.) RA gears aren't much better than stock. I'd pony up the extra dough for PPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Stage 3, VF39, 362chp/290whp running 12.9s.

Currently 25K miles, on the stock clutch and tranny..., without a single problem whatsoever.... and no evidence (slippage or grindage) that I should expect one in the near future.

Just put in an intake, and Cobb's gonna dynotune me in the next couple weeks, and that will put me at the 310-315 WHP range... not worried at all.

It's the driver... not the transmission.
    I'll stay tuned.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Stage 3 or what ever you want to call it 02. The life of your car is in the hands of your tuner, a bad tune the car could die quickly, a good tune could last forever.
    I had Element tune my car 2 years ago, and had not had a bit of trouble with. My car is beat on at the track, autoXs and street driven.
    I agree the tranny has weak points, but if you know how to drive it you wonldn't break it. The RA gears are no stronger than the stock ones if you need gears go PPG and forget it.
    Back to the question, the STI would take the WRX.

i didnt know all of this. very nice.

So hows is cobbs vf39 map? i mean if i install a vf39 i can go with a new up pipe and not worry about creep (with pro tune). so im thinking these mods are very nice and pretty easy so long as your nice to your drive train. i have an 06 tr stage 2. im thinking these will be my next mods. seems like a quck way to get to 300hp.?

P.s. somone mentioned something about the compresion ratio of the wrx and the sti. Are stock rex interanls ok with this set up?
    Last edited by Buzz; 09-30-2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: forgot something

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    So hows is cobbs vf39 map? i mean if i install a vf39 i can go with a new up pipe and not worry about creep (with pro tune). so im thinking these mods are very nice and pretty easy so long as your nice to your drive train. i have an 06 tr stage 2. im thinking these will be my next mods. seems like a quck way to get to 300hp.?

P.s. somone mentioned something about the compresion ratio of the wrx and the sti. Are stock rex interanls ok with this set up?
    They are fine for these mods. Assuming proper EM of course.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but it might still be the opinion on these boards.

This thread came up in a google search and I was interested. What does Stage 3 for a wrx mean? I have a pro tuned Stage 2 + GM solenoid 04 STi making 322 AWHP and 354 FT/LB AWTQ (Agile Auto in MD @ 21 psi). My baseline was in the 220's for hp.

Does a stage 3 come close to those numbers? I'm very interested to know because I thought it took significant work to get a wrx to those numbers. I raced a "Stage 4" wrx with STi drivetrain and he lost every single time, but it was close (he had 310 awhp). He could just be lying about "Stage 4" of course I'm not big on stages.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBSTi View Post
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread but it might still be the opinion on these boards.

This thread came up in a google search and I was interested. What does Stage 3 for a wrx mean? I have a pro tuned Stage 2 + GM solenoid 04 STi making 322 AWHP and 354 FT/LB AWTQ (Agile Auto in MD @ 21 psi). My baseline was in the 220's for hp.

Does a stage 3 come close to those numbers? I'm very interested to know because I thought it took significant work to get a wrx to those numbers. I raced a "Stage 4" wrx with STi drivetrain and he lost every single time, but it was close (he had 310 awhp). He could just be lying about "Stage 4" of course I'm not big on stages.

Thanks
    The clearer stages are:

Stage 1: OTS map, with OEM hardware.
    Stage 2: TBE, with a tune

After that it gets fuzzy.

Basically, a WRX with a VF39 and supporting mods, will put down 300+ whp. So it's not too complicated or pricey.

But anything claimed as a Stage 3 or a Stage 4 is generally subjective.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Question Max whp on '09 wrx?

What would most people agree is the highest safest increase in whp in a '09 wrx w/o having to change any internals?

Same question re: '08 sti.

Thanks

Thanks
    if he said stage 4 he probably means sti turbo upgrade with supporting mods

also if somebody said cobb stage 2.5 they probably mean sti turbo upgrade with supporting mods.

as user said above, it gets fuzzy after stage 2 as different companies have different stages. Stage 4 used to apply to Vishnu's staged power packages.

Quote Originally Posted by watchurwrist View Post
    What would most people agree is the highest safest increase in whp in a '09 wrx w/o having to change any internals?

Same question re: '08 sti.

Thanks
    Somewhere between 350 to 400whp, for either one.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    The clearer stages are:

Stage 1: OTS map, with OEM hardware.
    Stage 2: TBE, with a tune

After that it gets fuzzy.

Basically, a WRX with a VF39 and supporting mods, will put down 300+ whp. So it's not too complicated or pricey.

But anything claimed as a Stage 3 or a Stage 4 is generally subjective.
    Wow, I'm pretty impressed it can get 300+ whp with just the VF39 and supporting mods. I guess the half liter isn't helping out too much on STi's, in terms of how modding affects the outcome power.

I'm comparing this to say a 3.0 liter (I.e. Jeff Perrin's car) makes a significant difference with just that half liter over a 2.5 STi. It pushes a GT35R like a breeze and makes over 420 whp at 16.5 psi, which is nothing, with almost no lag. I guess I just had this mindset.

Wow, I'm pretty impressed it can get 300+ whp with just the VF39 and supporting mods. I guess the half liter isn't helping out too much on STi's, in terms of how modding affects the outcome power.
    I think Pavia meant the 06+ wrx's. The 2.0L wrx won't make those numbers on a vf39. I'm on a vf43 and I don't make anywhere close to 300 whp. But then again I live in CA, 91 octane gas, and got tested on a heartbreaker dyno.

gil
    I've been cobb stg 2 for like 35k and I don't take it easy .
    14 mpgs don't lie .
    With great power comes great responsibility

gil
    I also just got my vf 39 and fuel pump , hopefully I'll get them in this weekend . can't wait
    Last edited by gil; 07-03-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: misspelling
    With great power comes great responsibility

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast