gas smell, Help!

This is a discussion on gas smell, Help! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I keep smelling gas and I think I have pinpointed how to make it happen. If i drive for a ...

gas smell, Help!

I keep smelling gas and I think I have pinpointed how to make it happen.

If i drive for a while then turn the car off. (ie drive home from work).
    When I start my car within about 20 minutes (ie wife nags me into going for bread) I can smell gas in the car. I have smelled around under the hood and cant seem to smell any gas, its only inside the cabin.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to bring it to the dealer because I know they will F it up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it happens, especially when it's getting cold.
    I used to have it only around 0 degrees but recently i got it with low 30s, and it's pissing me off. It usually occurs when the engine is not warmed up and when you're not in motion.
    I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer after t-giving.
    i read somewhere that the hoses on the fuel lines are fracture too short and when it gets cold and fuel pipes shirink they leak a bit, but that's not confirmed.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Perhaps this explains the move of the fuel filter to an in tank design?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

i got a letter from subaru about this last year. its not a recall, but they will replace the fuel lines for free,at least thats what the letter said. they also say it happens at 14 degrees or lower...i kinda like the smell of gas

Quote Originally Posted by justin11
    i got a letter from subaru about this last year. its not a recall, but they will replace the fuel lines for free,at least thats what the letter said. they also say it happens at 14 degrees or lower...i kinda like the smell of gas
    can you possibly scan it and attach so i can reffer to it when i'll be going in with mine ???
    Thanx
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

I smell gas in my car whenever I idle usually after filling up my tank. Whenever i come to a redlight I can smell the gas and I have no idea where its coming from.

XPT Stage 2

"Do you smell that? It smells like his clutch."
    "No, it's burnt rice."

gas smell....

the same thing just started happening to me. I start my car and let it warm up, and when i get into it, it smells like gas. As i am driving, the smell goes away. I smelled around under the hood, and took it to a shop where i have a friend, and he looked under the hood and couldnt smell anything either. It would be nice to get a copy of that letter though...is it kind of like the letter about the antilock braking system? where it isnt a recall, but they will replace the ECU for free?

what years are your cars? i'm wondering if the problem continues to the latest years too...

It happens to my Legacy and most peoples WRX's... it's a problem that SOA wont admit and wont fix.
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

This just started happening to me this last weekend. Here in the Northeast it didn't get about maybe 12 degrees all day. There is a TSB out for it, I found it here: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2886

It's exactly as rallymaniac said. An odd length of of fuel line and fuel hose that when cold result in gas leaking into the engine bay.

I've heard of a lot of people having no problems getting there issue fixed at no charge from dealers however I was quoted 400 dollars to replace the fuel lines by a local dealer in CT. Appearently the lines are out of warrenty after 36k even though my car is still under the powertrain warranty. Needless to say I'm very pissed. It may just be this particular dealer trying to rip me off, others might have better luck.

The TSB lists the two parts that are needed so you could order the parts and DIY or take it to a regular mechanic who may be cheaper. This is what I will most likely do since the only reason I went to the dealer in the firt place is cause I thought it would be covered. But if they want to charge me I'd rather pay someone else than let them take my money.