Uh oh ... zero boost. Please have a look.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Uh oh ... zero boost. Please have a look. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am already thinking the worst. The stock boost gauge will read no more than 0 or maybe 0.05+. This ...

I Support ClubWRX

Uh oh ... zero boost. Please have a look.

I am already thinking the worst.

The stock boost gauge will read no more than 0 or maybe 0.05+. This was after normal full throttle boost in third gear merging onto a freeway. No problems, no odd sounds. The next time I "called" on the turbo a mile or two down the highway, nothing. I reset the ECU using the AP to no avail. The gauge seems to go into the negative numbers normally when coasting or under light acceleration. Give it some gas and nada.

Off of the highway the WRX now sounds different somehow; maybe a bit louder and more guttural. I could not hear any exhaust leaks once parked with the hood up or underneath the car. With the stage 2 mods and the obvious autoxing Im not expecting any warranty help from Subaru.

Any ideas?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    ** Update **

After letting the engine cool down, I found the problem. The C clip for the wastegate arm popped off. WOW! I feel better. I made an impression of the clip in cereal box cardboard when I first removed it way back when. That'll make finding a replacement easier.

Does driving a few miles with the arm popped off do any damage (no would be good!)?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    So the arm was stuck such that the wastegate was open? If so you're be running really rich for a while I guess, and you may have fouled a plug or sensor maybe, but I doubt it for such a short time.

If you are really curious you can rig something up temporarily until you find the correct clip (maybe with wire?) and see what happens, but I'd not be too worried.

Had you fiddled with the arm when installing the AP?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    So the arm was stuck such that the wastegate was open? If so you're be running really rich for a while I guess, and you may have fouled a plug or sensor maybe, but I doubt it for such a short time.

If you are really curious you can rig something up temporarily until you find the correct clip (maybe with wire?) and see what happens, but I'd not be too worried.

Had you fiddled with the arm when installing the AP?
    Yep, I fiddled. It is my nature to fiddle. I found one turn shorter on the arm seems to produce the most consistent AP target boost. Some say it has no effect. Who knows? I know the last time I fiddled, I checked and rechecked the clip it was secure. Maybe the removals of the clip spread it out a bit?

I used an alligator clip to hold it all together for the drive to the parts store. I made no sudden demands on the turbo it worked OK. The cardboard impression made finding the correct clip easy. Thank you Napa Auto Parts for being open at 7:00! The guy behind the counter liked the cardboard trick a lot.
    Mods & Pics

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Glad to hear you found the problem. How long ago had you fiddled with the arm? I did mine a few weeks ago. So far so good. Maybe i should check it periodically. Then again, i'll know right away when & if it falls off.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04
    Glad to hear you found the problem. How long ago had you fiddled with the arm? I did mine a few weeks ago. So far so good. Maybe i should check it periodically. Then again, i'll know right away when & if it falls off.
    I too am glad I found the problem. I thought the worst. I fiddled several times over a period of time noting any perceived differences. I now have two spare clips in the glove box.
    Mods & Pics

WG actuator arm rant...

5/16" e-clip will do it.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

i just had this happen to me 3 days ago and i too thought the worst, i was freakin out cause just earlier that day i took my car into a field to have some fun after it rained and then about 3 hours later the turbo jsut shut off between shifts, luckily i was right near my dads house and i swung by there and saw that the wastegate arm had popped off, i put on a new c-clip and problem solved

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad you found the problem, and that it wasn't expensive.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I am experiencing boost problems myself.. I am only hitting .04-.05 bar on the stock boost guage. Could this be my problem too. Could it be possible that the wastegate is stuck open. Any sugestions....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.