APS Turbos

This is a discussion on APS Turbos within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey, ive done searching through some forums and havnt gotten an strait answers to my questions, i wanna upgrade my ...

APS Turbos

hey, ive done searching through some forums and havnt gotten an strait answers to my questions, i wanna upgrade my turbo sometime this winter when she sits in the garage, i kno all the stuff i need so dont gimme all that info, ive been struggling between the VF series and the APS SR40 turbo, i kno VF makes a great turbo, but theres so many of them to choose, i wanna find out wut i can about the SR40, see if they are entirely bolt on, i kno some aps series u need alot of adapters, info on that would be nice, and ive done research on VF turbos, but i want to kno an ALL AROUND best VF turbo, low and high end, i kno the vf22 is great in the dig, and the 39 is great top end, i duno any info would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The VF-34 or the 39 which is the STi turbo are your best bets because they are both water and oil cooled. The APS series turbo on a WRX arent all what they are cracked up to be due to the low literage. Their turbos are more designed for the sti. Even their test car is a WRX with an STi engine swap out. The SR-40 is for about 330whp I think, the SR-55 is big and puts out around 400whp. But they are not water cooled so you would need the extra money for a turbo timer on your car. My suggestion is to stick with the VF-39, you can get 300whp out of those turbos on 93 with a proper tune with a utec. Plenty to get you around, and its not a "downshift to go faster" turbo. You can mash on the gas in almost any gear and get that nice turbo boost and have it pull like a MF'er. The SR-40 would require yo uto do more shifting to get its power levels out. Hope that helps.

thanks didnt kno they werent cooled like that

Quote Originally Posted by Imprezme00
    i kno the vf22 is great in the dig, and the 39 is great top end
    you got those 2 backwards...the VF22 has the largest topend of ihi vf series turbos(bolton)...
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by whitakerSTi
    But they are not water cooled so you would need the extra money for a turbo timer on your car. My suggestion is to stick with the VF-39, you can get 300whp out of those turbos on 93 with a proper tune with a utec. Plenty to get you around, and its not a "downshift to go faster" turbo. You can mash on the gas in almost any gear and get that nice turbo boost and have it pull like a MF'er. The SR-40 would require yo uto do more shifting to get its power levels out. Hope that helps.
    ALL, I repeat ALL, of the APS turbos are made from garrett chra's and ALL are water and oil cooled. I don't know who told you otherwise but they were wrong...

Best all around turbo on a 2.0? There isn't one best. The sr40 definitely isn't it though. The sr30, sr40, and sr50 all turned out to be generally disappointing. One guy over on nasioc says he found the recipe to successfully tune an sr40, but if you're not getting tuned by him, pass on it.
    As far as VF turbos, my favorite is the vf23. It is the best compromise between low end grunt and top end power. The vf39 is nice because there are used ones everywhere coming off of sti's so they're cheap and can still make good power. If you're looking outside the vf series turbos, check out a 16g (there are a few variations and they're all good), an 18g (little bigger but will still zip you around), a pe1820 (little pricey but a nice turbo for sure) or the new Momentum EJ5-40T. Any of those are contenders for a good all around turbo. If you've got a little more cash, check out the avo320 or avo400. Both are made with ballbearing garrett chra's that I'm absolutely hooked on, but the 400 is kinda pricey.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

i found a aps sr-55 for sale on craigslist.

and it got me thinking, and created a ton of questions. i'm a turbo noob, so all these vf-30's sr-40 talk mean almost nothing to me. i need someone who would be willing to explain it out in noob talk please.

basically - i have an 05 sti, and was wondering if this would be a good to decent upgrade?

i've read that i'm looking at about 400whp if i use this turbo, and to me that's great, but really, where would i use 400whp since i don't drag it, and haven't tracked it yet. it will be visiting the track eventually, but probably not till next year or so.

how does a sr-55 work for almost daily driving? tons of lag? how does it compare to the stock sti turbo? which one IS the sti turbo? is the sr-55 a top end type of turbo? or a quick spool lot's of accel turbo?

would i need to upgrade internals? how would the tranny hold up? while waiting for an answer, i'll do a some more research, but really, everything i've found so far is WAY WAY over my head. please help a noob?? thanks

SR-55 is not a daily driven turbo choice. And APS's turbos are completly over priced for what they are as Midknight had said a few months ago...things havent changed. Get a Deadbolt 18G or 20G....20G is good for 360+whp and the 18G is more of a powerful stock VF-39...it can get to 330whp...so basically 30 more hp than the stock sti turbo. Deadbolt also offers free rebuilds for life and they are oil and water cooled as an option...which is what you want...saves you from having to get a turbo timer and lengthens the life of your turbo.

VF-39 is the STi turbo...it can get to 300whp at stage 2 which is basically a 12.6 or so quarter mile car. If you dont know what stage two is...dont even touch your car. Let someone else do it.

This stuff cant be explained in newb terms, its all serious upgrading and can only be explained in technical talk because when you have it installed by someone or if you are installing it yourself...this is how you need to be able to communicate....if you dont know what 300-400whp feels like...and dont know what 12 seconds in a quarter mile feels like...and you want people to explain to you what these turbos are like...you are like a blind person going to see a movie...only getting half the information if that.

well it's a used aps so i thought maybe i could get a deal on it...assuming it's good still.

as far as what i mean by "turbo noob", i don't know all the different numbers and letter or what they mean....i assume certain model of turbo's but besides that, i'm clueless.

i'm actually at stage 3+. some may call it stage 4. but as a stage kit, it's considered stage 3+ at GPmoto

engine management (with tuned maps), equal Length 4-2-1 Header, with integrated up-pipe, TBE, short ram Intake.

so until i dyno it, my assumption is around 320-330whp.

like i said, i dunno how turbo's work. i know it forces more air in, but that's the extent of my turbo knowledge. i'm more comfortable around N/A cars. i'm just now getting comfortable with the turbo's. vf-39 is sti turbo. okay, fair enough. what's is the vf? what is a 39? what is a vf-39 comperable to when comparing to a...say an aps sr series turbo? see, that's the stuff i don't know. so if that gives you some help as to explaining what an aps sr-55 might be like. please do. if not....oh well, thanks for trying.

you probably have more like 305whp with that setup....the VF-39 wont ever get to 330 except on race gas. you are basically stage two with headers...the intake does nothing for the sti unless you have a big turbo and a front mount along with it. The numbers and letters are the names of the turbos....thats just how it is. When you google search the names, turbo manufacturers come up..how it works. For accurate recommendations for your car...you need to explain to the members what it is you want out of your car...driveability, racing, daily driver, autoX style driving, etc. After you explain all that we can tell you what turbos are the best for the current setup you have on the car...and what tuning styles to go with...along with brakes/suspension needed to compensate the extra speed and power.

VF-39 is the equiv to probably an SR-30 aps turbo...the 55 is massive and supports 400+whp. The 55 is stupid to have on a car that wont be a track only car. VF is the prefix name....39 is a number...think of turbo names like part numbers for products...best way to say it...usually..the bigger the number...the more the turbo puts out...in the VF series cases...this isnt always correct...but with most others...it is. An APS SR-55 turbo is a 11 second quarter mile turbo...proven by the videos on APS's site. You cant run the APS sr-55 safely unless you replace the pistons, rods, and transmission. Like i said...dont get that turbo if this is your only car and it is daily driven...youll have turbo lag immensely.
    Last edited by whitakerSTi; 06-24-2006 at 02:04 PM.

An SR55 is a great turbo on a 2.5L STi or a WRX with a 2.5L swap. on a 2.0L forget it. It's too laggy for a street setup. The SR40 is a decent turbo for a 2.0L but for the cost there are better options. Look into an FP 18G or 20G, the 20 being the larger of the 2. If you get the FP turbos look at getting them as Dry, non-watercooled. They don't seem to fit very well with the coolant lines they are using on them.

The SR55 on an STI makes 400whp regularly with supporting mods. On a 2.0L WRX it's good for 400 on race fuel and elevated boost levels. The SR40 can make good power on a 2.0L if tuned correctly.

All APS turbos are water cooled. Even the DR series turbos. All APS turbos are ball bearing Garret GT cartridges. Hence the elevated prices of thier offerings.

And don't be afraid of having a non-watercooled turbo. The only reason turbos are watercooled is to prevent oil coking on hot shutdowns. A turbo timer and a good synthetic oil will make your non-watercooled turbo last as long if not longer than a water cooled unit.

My original dry (non-watercooled) housing 18G is in it's 4th owners hands now. It has over 70K miles on it and the turbo runs as strong now as the day I bought it.
    Last edited by cjm04WRX; 06-24-2006 at 09:41 PM.

whitakerSTi and cjm04WRX, thanks for your responses. combining the last two posts gave me exactly what i needed to know. so now when people people talk about turbo's, i'll have some idea of what they are talking about. so sr-55 is a bit laggy for street. okay, fair enough.

what would a good option on a quick spooling turbo, that could get me upgraded with some more hp/torque without going to a FMIC? i have another car that i use as a daily driver currently, but if i end up giving it to my sister, the STi would become my daily. the vf-39 doesn't lag to bad for me, but then again, i am a turbo noob a little more probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

would i like 400whp? sure. but i don't have a specific goal hp-wise. i plan on eventually upgrading the internals as well. i think i might go that route, then upgrade the turbo later.

as for what i'm looking for: i'd like to have more power. but usuable power. i don't want to have lag where i boost at 6K or anything like that. it must be liveable as a daily driver. i'd like to get it on the track every once in a while, but i refuse to drag. these cars were not meant to be drag racers (no offense to anyone who drags their wrx/sti). i suppose i could do a search, which i will, but if you can get me some answers first, i'd appreciate it.

Deadbolt 20G...daily driveability, good track turbo to see some decent ticket times, doesnt have a lot of lag on the 2.5L engine...I believe it spools at like...200rpm later than the stock VF-39 does...its pretty darn close to the stocker. As far as power...Ive seen 20G's hit up arouns 370whp+....can definitely stretch that turbo out...plus its made by deadbolt...which nets you the use of their rebuild for life program...as long as you buy it from their website. So even in the rare case their turbo does go haywire...you get a new one no hassle.

If you want to stay near stock levels...but want a little more vroom..get the deadbolt 18G. Its basically the stock turbo on overdrive. You can get about 325-330whp on that turbo...but thats the max.

Versions to get are the TD06H wheel....what I mean by that is there are two versions...TD05H and TD06H....the TD05's are made for the WRX....the TD06 is made for the STi....easiest way I can explain it....so when you go to their website...click on the TD06 links...http://www.boostplanet.com/product6.htm thats the link to the correct turbos you need to look into....the 20G also isnt the biggest....you can get their SuperZilla series which are very large turbos....all turbos have the ability to be upgraded to water/oil cooled catridges as well.