Exhaust sound question, clip inside
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Exhaust sound question, clip inside within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just did an downpipe install on my wrx and hear a different sound in the exhaust. I'm not sure ...

Exhaust sound question, clip inside

I just did an downpipe install on my wrx and hear a different sound in the exhaust. I'm not sure how to discripe it but it sounds almost like a "tick, tick, tick" kind of sound. It is not as low pitched as the rest of the exhaust and i'm thinking that it might be a leak but i'm not sure. I have included a clip if that can help. It is an autospeed downpipe and a bosal twin tip cat back. Any help would be great. I will see if I can get a better sound clip tomorrow before work. Thanks everyone.

exhaust clip

EDIT: the clip is being recorded from the ground next to the car. about at the drivers side door.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

its your wastegate. normal.

oops...never mind. I just listened to the clip.

that COULD be normal, depending on you exhaust. It could also be a loose flange or the pipe bouncing off the chasis somewhere.
    Last edited by blarg; 09-13-2005 at 11:14 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

thanks blarg, this is my first turbo so I'm not sure what the wastegate sounds like normaly. I will double check my bolts to make sure nothing has come lose. I did change all of my gaskets so I might need to tighten a few things down agian.

bump, anyone else?

if at idle the WG noise shouldn't be happening, but depending on where the mic was, you could be picking up some valve slap from the motor...when you put in a turboback you do get some new noises you didn't have before. Where you stand near the car will change which noises you hear. If it IS metal on metal noise...it should be transmitted through the interior and be pretty loud in the cabin. When you start driving, you'll hear a sort of ascending and descending cricket noise every time you get on or off the gas...THAT'S the wastegate.
    go f*** yourself

I just went for a nice ride to listen to the engine and here is what I have found. In the car with the windows up, you can not hear the noise. outside and infront of the car you don't hear it. outside and next to the car you can hear it the loudest and outside behind the car you can hear it some. I'm thinking that it might be a leak but i'm not sure where from. It definately is not the wastegate that i'm trying to discripe. I know that sound. Wish I could discribe it better but the only other word that comes to mind is a "sputtering" sound.

New development, I am not also throwing a CEL. Any ideas on cel after catted downpipe install? I checked the o2 sensor and it is in good and tight. I would prefer not to take this to the shop but I just might have to.

about the cel. you'd have to pull the code to know for sure. my guess is that the catted DP isn't working well (and the cat is far from the sensor), and this is causing problems. The catted DP's are made with cheap crappy Chinese catalyst that doesn't really DO anything...its really made for people who want to be STX legal (STX requires a cat). If you wanted a cat that would really kill the CEL, you should have just gotten a cheap DP and had a Magnaflow OBDII cat installed into it at a muffler shop. Mine has never thrown a CEL.

If you're haven't messed aroudn with anything else (like the UP), then its probably that rear O2 sensor throwing it. you can either get a resistor or mechanical CEL fix (most WRX performance vendors sell one) or you can get an EM package that lets you disable CEL's. Or you can just put the OEM exhaust back on

if you ARE leaking...maybe you forgot a flange gasket somehwere? or didn't tighten some exhuast bolts enough?
    go f*** yourself

I think you are rigth on the cat being the problem for the cel. It is located away from the sensor. I think I will just wait untill I do EM before I worry about that. The only reason I got the catted downpipe was a good price was offered to me. I don't care too much about being legal as long as I can get rid of my cel before insepction time rolls around. When I get some more free time, i'm going to go over all of my flanges. I know that I didn't forget a gasket but I may need to retighten some more bolts.

Thanks for all the help blarg

everything sounded normal to me when I listened to the posted clip, there may be a slight leak somewhere. when that was on my car it took about a hundred miles or so and then threw a cel and it was the rear o2 sensor. I put a mechanical fix to get rid of it, it was sotered (sp?) into the o2 sensor wires somewhere and then i never had any other problems.

on another note could you take a clip of your bosal exhaust at idle and then revving it, I am contemplating selling my borla hush for a different twin tip exhaust and i can't get any good clips of the bosal twin tip.

Eric
    Last edited by subie04; 09-14-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

I Support ClubWRX
    The clip sounded like an exhaust leak.

More Clips

Here are a few more sound bites:

EDIT: I think some of these might be mis-labled. I'm not sure how my recorder ordered them and I may have missed one clip. the rev clip doens't seem right to me. Wish my digi cam was not in the shop or I would have the video to match up the clip for me.... sorry

1. left turn from stop, 0-60 or so. not flooring it by any means
    0-60 slow
    2. left turn from light, 0-55 or so, def not flooring (PD station on corner)
    0-55 slow
    3. Yet another left from a light, windows up this time.
    windows up
    4. 2 slow revs. 1st to 5000 second to 5500. Sorry to not do more but I don't want to get my neighbors mad, live next to a county sherif. EDIT: mic 6 feet behind car on ground.
    Rev up

Hope this helps you out Eric. And if any of these clips can help better determain what is wrong with my exhaust (about 95% sure its a leak from dp to catback) let me know.

Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by erockWRX; 09-14-2005 at 12:10 PM.

thanks a lot for the clips.

it definitely sounds like a leak between the dp and catback, check your gasket to make sure it's sealed all the way around and that everything is tight. I had a slight leak on the top of the gasket between the dp and catback when i put my helix dp on a couple weeks ago
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

yeah, that's a DP-Catback leak. It shouldn't be that loud.
    go f*** yourself

I had and probably still have this leak. I torque they hell out of it which helped, but it's hard to get 3 inch to 2.25 to fit well.

yeah that's not a good way to go. I went 3" all the DP to the fart can.
    go f*** yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast