Header HP?

This is a discussion on Header HP? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What kind of power does a header really add? I've tuned my car with a stage 2 and not sure ...

Header HP?

What kind of power does a header really add? I've tuned my car with a stage 2 and not sure If I want to upgrade the turbo quite yet.

mod list:
    Helix Up-pipe
    B&B catted downpipe
    Espelir JGT500 Catback
    Turbo XS Hyperflow TMIC

still running the stock box with a K&N filter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewDyno2.JPG   NewBoost2.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They've been known to add 10-20 hp, and 10-20 ft/lbs, while adding a few hundred RPM of lag. They also make the engine sound metallic and raspy, like a motocross bike at high RPM.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

I still have some time to think about it I guess. Thanks for the info

Yeah I have heard bad things about the sound too. Also you may gain a few ponies but probably lose torque with it. That is one mod I will probably never buy. To insignificant. I would save for turbo.

If you search for my thread about headers youll find everything you would be looking for....had some 30 replies and lots of good graphs and dyno proven results...in the end headers made the lag more and gave you more top end punch....as for low end and mid range....the only header that touched midrange very well was zerosports and thats a 2000 dollar header :/. For what most people buy...aka gp moto and things under 900 dollars...its all topend and it gives you that exhaust note no one likes....it was also discussed that headers relieve back pressure....exactly what you arent supposed to do on a turbo charged vehicle...turbos rely on back pressure to function the best....this is where that few 100 rpm lag comes in. I have also talked to Jerry from deadbolt and he recommends that unless you are full out racing...headers are a terrible idea for a WRX or STi....more trouble than they are worth....unless you want to drop 2000 on some. Hope that helps.

Are everyones sound reactions based on a equal length headers? I thought that equal length headers remove the 'exhaust pulses' that we associate with the 'boxer' sound.

Anyone have any opinions on the sound produced by non equal length headers (gruppe-s)

Thanks,

-Al

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstDeuce
    Are everyones sound reactions based on a equal length headers? I thought that equal length headers remove the 'exhaust pulses' that we associate with the 'boxer' sound.
    I was talking about Borla non-equal length, which actually enhances the sound of the exhaust pulses. However, the stainless steel doesn't muffle the sound as well as the stock iron manifold, resulting in the raspy pitch, much of which comes from the engine bay area. Regard the non-equal-lenght, here's a review from Nasioc:
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterforever
    ... Specifically, I love what I can't hear. Car is super quiet, and my wife is happy (she hated the loudness -- and that's with a Borla hush ). I definitely lost the gurgle, but there is still a distinctive sound to the boxer even with equal length headers.

I suspect that most NASIOC members would be disappointed by my car's current sound. It lost most (not all) of the rumble, and the pitch is higher and more metallic. But I personally love the new sound, and feel it's distinctive among the increasing number of subie's out there. And it is dramatically quieter.

As for sounding like a Honda... yeah, well, when I'm making 19/20 lbs of boost with a VF-34 and a 50/50 mix of meth/water is allowing the engine to run with 37.5 degrees of timing advance... it certainly doesn't sound like a Honda. An angry swarm of bees, sure... a Honda... no way.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

Unequal length headers are kind of a waste of time and money...the idea is to get rid of the unequalness of the velocity of the exhaust....having unequal length is the same as having the stock manifold...just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by whitakerSTi
    Unequal length headers are kind of a waste of time and money...the idea is to get rid of the unequalness of the velocity of the exhaust....having unequal length is the same as having the stock manifold...just my opinion.
    i agree and this is why i have cusco headers