Has Any WRX Owners Done Leak Tests for Boost Leaks
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Has Any WRX Owners Done Leak Tests for Boost Leaks within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The SRT-4 guys have found that the clamps on the SRT-4 that connects the hoses to the boost circuit (turbo ...

I Support ClubWRX

Has Any WRX Owners Done Leak Tests for Boost Leaks

The SRT-4 guys have found that the clamps on the SRT-4 that connects the hoses to the boost circuit (turbo to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body, etc.) are almost all loose. They came up with a leak tester that mounts to the cold side of the turbo. Air is pushed into the system and someone watches the boost gauge as to how much pressure it holds or looses. Most of the time only the clamps need to be retightened. But many times vacuum hoses and even the stock PCV valve leaks under boost.

I have done a boost leak check on my car and had very many boost leaks that I fixed when I first got the car. But I read a thread on installing a check valve inline between the PCV valve and the throttle body (on SRT-4's) that will help stop the PCV valve from leaking under boost. I installed check valve yesterday and noticed great low and midrange torque improvement. Holds boost longer and more consistently through gears at WOT.

Have any of your done this or even considered doing a leak check on your boost circuits to look for boost leaks. There may be hidden potential for performance by checking for leaks. FYI.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I was actually reading something about this somewhere else and I think it's something worth while for me to do. How do the srt-4 guys hook up the equipment? I haven't been able to find comprehensive instructions for how to do this...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    I was actually reading something about this somewhere else and I think it's something worth while for me to do. How do the srt-4 guys hook up the equipment? I haven't been able to find comprehensive instructions for how to do this...
    Here is how we pressurize the boost circuit:

Parts Needed:

A 4 inch long piece of 2.5" O.D. (outside diameter) hose. (I used some radiator hose I got at NAPA)
    1.5" I.D. (inside diameter) PVC end cap.
    2 band clamps that will fit around the 2.5" pipe above.
    A valve stem (I used the rubber type you press in)

To use it, just remove the intake pipe from your turbocharger inlet, and attach this in its' place.

Now you need to hook something up to the valve stem to pressurize the intake so you can listen for leaks. I use a 7 gallon air tank I got from Walmart, I just fill it up with air at the local gas station. You can also use a simple bike pump.

If you have a manual boost controller hooked up, you might want to plug off its' intake hose, as they leak a lot of air, making it hard to pinpoint the real leak.

Pressurize the system, and listen all over for leaks. Make sure you or a friend listens under the bumper too, wherever there is IC piping.

A leak will be obvious, they make a loud hissing sound.

You might want to have a friend check out your boost gauge while you are pressurizing things, to make sure you don't put too much pressure on things. (20 psi should be safe, or whatever you run safely for boost)

Places I have heard of leaks occuring:

BOV flange
    Intake manifold ports
    Throttle Body gaskets
    Holes in the intercooler
    Holes in the intercooler piping (sometimes the rubber pipe inside the stock woven mesh pipes cracks, and you can't see it from the outside... the pressure tester will find it though!! )

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PTesterAngle.jpg   PTesterSide.jpg   PTesterTop.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet! I'm gonna have to make a trip to Home Depot and pep boys tomorrow! Great thread Kurlee.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

So one would attach that to thier IC piping that leads to the intercooler? Thats a cool idea, now if only they did that for exhaust.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisSnT
    So one would attach that to thier IC piping that leads to the intercooler? Thats a cool idea, now if only they did that for exhaust.
    Yes. Like I stated above, the tester is attached to the cold side of the turbo on the SRT-4. The pressurized charge makes its way through the turbo, down the hotside pipe from the turbo (remember SRT-4 has FMIC), to the hotside of the intercooler, through the intercooler, up what we call the uppipe through the intake manifold. Also, lines that are attached to the motor that are used for vacuum and emissions, such as the PCV valve, will be under pressure as well. That is how some people found the PCV valve to be leaking. So we install the check valve in the PCV line and it prevents the PCV valve from leaking under pressure.

I have seen someone who sells a nice setup like this that comes with a pressure gauge. I'l try to find it.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

i have a spare gauge, and i was thinking of plumbing the hose from before the ic to after the ic, and just leaving it in the glove box or something...

i'm usuing the hood from another OE boost guage for my egt, and selling them (i have 2) is a pita b/c they're a la carte.

dR

I Support ClubWRX
    Please post results if any of your try this on your WRX's. This may help find leaks and may help you make more power, or may not. Who knows. Its worth a shot.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AjIsDope
    I have seen someone who sells a nice setup like this that comes with a pressure gauge. I'l try to find it.
    bump- I'd like to see it
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    uh...that's er.....er...purdy
    Did you bring that to 'show and tell?''
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxlude
    uh...that's er.....er...purdy
    Did you bring that to 'show and tell?''

Indeed I did.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks- I'll have to show my DIY buddy and see if he can make a reasonable facsimile
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Any wrx results?
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.