Want to improve sound system but keep stock head unit...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Want to improve sound system but keep stock head unit... within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey I have a 02 WRX with stock sound system... My delema is: I want to expand the sound system! ...

Want to improve sound system but keep stock head unit...

Hey I have a 02 WRX with stock sound system... My delema is:

I want to expand the sound system!
    - Componets
    - Subwoofer
    - Equalizer

Catch: I want to keep the stock 6 disk changer...

Is there anyway I can clip off the stock unit to a aftermarket Amp to add an equalizing features though the amp and add a sub?

Let me know what you guys think

thanks
    Boost is an addiction...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

aftermarket amp and sub on stock unit

I added a 12" sub and amp to my factory head unit to my subie. I can't remember the name of the piece that was used to do it but i can be done and it sounds really nice. Just go somewhere that works on car stereos and talk to someone, i'm sure they can probably help you out. I'll try to find out what the name of the adapter that i have in my car and let you know.

Well i did go to a few places... they all just said the same crap:

get an amp...

There are no preamp outputs on the stock head unit... so i dont know what the hell to get...
    Boost is an addiction...

you need a line out converter. Go to a local stereo shop they will know what you are talking about. I used one in my car... its not the best set up but it works. All you have to do is tap into a left and right speaker. I used the rear so I could fade to the front when I dont want too much bass. But yeah its called a "Line Out Converter"

peace. Tony
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

line out converter is the piece but mine is attached right to the speaker outlets on the back of my head unit

Ok so if I get a line out converter I can patch into the speakers and run RCA to the amp...

Do you think i can get an aftermarket equalizer or just have to adjust the equalization via the amplifier...

thank you
    Boost is an addiction...

Quote Originally Posted by Rokkit
    Ok so if I get a line out converter I can patch into the speakers and run RCA to the amp...

Do you think i can get an aftermarket equalizer or just have to adjust the equalization via the amplifier...

thank you
    yes you can run the RCAs straight to the amp or to an equalizer. A preamped eq would be the way to go (preferably with 4 volt preouts). Either way will work.
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

Alrighty do you recomend any specific types?

I was hoping I could preamp to a duel channel amp, then into a duel channel equalizer if they have them... what do any of you guys feel i should do for a setup
    Boost is an addiction...

Quote Originally Posted by Rokkit
    Alrighty do you recomend any specific types?

I was hoping I could preamp to a duel channel amp, then into a duel channel equalizer if they have them... what do any of you guys feel i should do for a setup
    huh? It should just be EQ to AMP then AMP to SPEAKERS. I have a pioneer digital EQ (DEQ7600) <--------Thats the part number ------ with three pre outs (front, rear, and sub).

Tanks!

Ohh.. alright. My friend has a diff setup in his acura with quite a load of crapolla for a sound system. This setup sounds A LOT more logical and simple. Thank you for your help bud.

K so tap into the rear L/R speakers, RCA to the Imput on the equalizer, then output RCA to the amplifier(s) from EQ, then power speakers/sub.

(btw, thanks for putting up with my idiocy)
    Last edited by Rokkit; 03-16-2005 at 06:47 AM.
    Boost is an addiction...

no prob... good luck... and always disconnect your battery...

later tony

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but if even if you get a new head unit that plays 1 CD, if it will read MP3 CD-ROMS you can put more music on one CD than a full 6 CD changer.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

cds...hahahah....ipod all the way baby....alot cheaper in the long run
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcelration
    cds...hahahah....ipod all the way baby....alot cheaper in the long run

An iPOD holds 10,000 songs, it costs a dollar a song to download, THATS 10,000 DOLLARS TO FILL AN iPOD!!!
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

regardless, you still need some kind of aux input to connect the ipod...which the stock head doesn't have. The cassette adaptor just too noisy for my tastes. Its a LITTLE better if you turn on Dolby NR, but it still blows.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast