a NEW iPod question [its new, im 99.9% sure]

This is a discussion on a NEW iPod question [its new, im 99.9% sure] within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; i have a sirius radio standalone receiver in my old mx-6, and havent migrated it over to the suby yet. ...

a NEW iPod question [its new, im 99.9% sure]

i have a sirius radio standalone receiver in my old mx-6, and havent migrated it over to the suby yet. my situation is, im about to get a 60gb iPod photo, and already have an alpine deck and i like the interface on the individual items, not the ones built into the alpine. so is there a way to hook both of them up [the ipod and the sirius] and still be able to use the individual pieces, instead of trying to use the alpines crappy controls?? and not have to disconnect one to use the other??
    i was going to buy the ipod today online, but i guess i will wait until i can get a clear answer on this.

and when im talking about the crappy interface on the alpine i mean the box you buy and hookup and you have to scroll through playlists or radio stations on the tiny 1 line screen on the alpine, instead of the nice multi line displays on the seperate units.

any suggestion will be accepted, including different decks, but i would also like to do this without spending an ungodly amount on extra hardware.

any help will be GREATLY appreciated,
    thanx
    chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Take a look at the Dension Ice Link .
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

I just put in one of the "Crappy boxes" from Alpine on Friday as well as a new Alpine Headunit. It's not crappy by the way!

Why in the hell whould you want to fock around with three different pieces of equipment (Headunit, Ipod and XM)?

If your current Alpine head-unit isn't XM ready then get a new one that is. You can run the XM and Ipod through it. Should let you hear all your tunes and let you concentrate on driving your car.

My $0.02
    [COLOR=Navy]Steve in Minnesota
    '04 WRX Sport'n Wagon - PSM
    Drag Racing / Street Racing is for fast cars....Autocross is for fast drivers! COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in MN
    Why in the hell whould you want to fock around with three different pieces of equipment (Headunit, Ipod and XM)?

If your current Alpine head-unit isn't XM ready then get a new one that is. You can run the XM and Ipod through it. Should let you hear all your tunes and let you concentrate on driving your car.

My $0.02
    my current one is XM ready, but i dont have XM i have sirius.

for those who didnt understand my beef, i will say it again. the problem i have is that when you hook up those boxes, you control it all through the actual deck. the controls and the display on the deck are made for the deck, not the units i want to hook up. i want to use the controls on the ipod and the sirius receiver, because they are alot more versatile, and the display is alot better on the individual units. i have used an alpine deck with the sirius box hooked up, and you can only see one line of text, but on my sirius unit, you can see 5 lines of text, same with the ipod, there is only one or two lines of text [if i buy a new deck] while on the ipod there are multiple lines on the display.

thanx for the help,
    chris