Sirius Vs. XM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Sirius Vs. XM within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I was just wondering if anybody had either of the two in their car. I know i want to get ...

Sirius Vs. XM

I was just wondering if anybody had either of the two in their car.
    I know i want to get Sirius instread of XM because they have a better selection of music.

The real Question is where is yours mounted in the rex?

If anyone has any good ideas on where to stash the antenna so its not so obvious on top of the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have Sirrius in my wife's truck. Very nice.

I'd have it in my WRX if I could find hardware that was acceptable. I'm trying to avoid replacing the factory deck and making it a thief target. And all the portable Sirrius hardware is just huge. Hopefully they'll get something nice soon.

both are nice. I like the Sirrius for the catagoies. the xm is ok also. I have rarly found a chanel I like for long time without changing. I found a nice mount that connects to where the seat mounts. I thought about getting. all in all to many wires.
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

i have sirius in my STi. i like it, mostly for road trips and some of the talk/comedy stations. its definitely worth the $12.95/mo. i've heard from several people that XM doesn't have as good of a lineup. account setup was really easy. just turn it on to ch184 and leave it. go back inside and set it up online while its on. (it has to communicate to the satellite which can't happen if its turned off). the antenna has to be installed on the top of the car or on top of the trunk. it has to be visible from the sky, otherwise the satellites won't be able to get a signal through. so under the rear glass won't work. if you drive under an overpass or through trees the signal doesn't chop, but if you pull into a garage, and a satellite doesn't have a direct line of sight, you get no signal. clouds don't affect the singal at all, just hard cover.

i installed the antenna on the back of the roof, ran the wire down the right side of the window liner, and underneath the trunk seal. i notched out the metal edge under the seal so the wire wouldn't get cut from the pressure of the rubber seal pushing down on it. i then ran the antenna wire into the cabin (the top right corner looking into the trunk theres some room to pass the wire through). and under the internal panels next to the rear seat and floorboards, then under the carpet for the front passenger seat. these panels all just pop loose. you may need to remove the rear adjustable shoulder strap lock thing to get that panel loose, but the rest all pop off. i removed the glove compartment completely (about 8 screws), and of the assembly that comes out you'll have the housing, the drawer, a module attatched to the back, and a wire for the light. i removed the drawer from said housing, and the module and disconnected the wire so i could get the whole thing out of the car. i cut a hole in the upper left corner behind where the "drawer" is, and screwed the sirius module to the top of the glove compartment upside down, left enough slack in the wires so they don't bind up the movement of the drawer.

for the deck, the component panel pops off, and there's 6 screws that hold the deck frame in place, undo them and the whole unit pops out. find a 12v power wire, solder it or twist cap it. find a ground, screw it down. connect the data cable to the back of your deck (if its sirius ready). connect the wires to the unit.

the install was very clean. i can take pics of the installation if you like. this will cost you in the range of $80 in labor to have it installed. it took me a few hours. i'm very happy with the service.
    Dave
    01 RS

i got some good ideas now thanks.

How hard would it be to mount the reciver where the clock is. I havnt seen anyone try that but it seems like the logical place to put it.

Wherever i decide to put it i just want it to look clean not like a taxi cab.

Sirius>Stern. That is why I'm getting sirius.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

the receiver unit, do you mean the control module or the actual receiver box? i'd mount the receiver box hidden somewhere... of you're talking about the control module, i'd place it wherever you can reach the buttons easily and read the display. the clock position may get washed out by sunlight because its on the dash, but yeah other than that, it seems like a good location.
    Dave
    01 RS

I was looking at Sirius and XM and have come to the conclusion that having to decide between the two sucks, at least for me. Sirius has Stern, NFL and English Premier League games. XM has MLB.

Has anyone tried either of them and decided to switch?

yeah, but baseball is boring!
    Dave
    01 RS

Don't suppose that you have heard the latest...

XM and Sirius are looking to merge. Thats right folks, you get the best of both, should it come off. Unfortunately, the FCC has to approve the merger and there are monopoly infringement issues. They will probably disallow the merger, so one company might be in trouble.

Was on the news earlier this week.

-B4

I have had Xm for about 2 years now and love it! Even more now that Opie and Anthony are on XM! You have to pay $1.99/month for their channel, but it's worth it IMHO. If you have no idea who I'm talking about, check out opieanthony.com.

I went with XM commander. I Mounted it in the ashtray. Looks pretty good. Im a huge baseball fan and xm signed a contract with MLB. To good to pass up. I hav'nt had much time to use it but from what ive heard its pretty sweet

I have sirius it is nice for roadtrips and driving in the mountians.Right now they have a deal for the life of the receiver it is $499. Which is lifetime serivce, even if you break the receiver. All you have to do is prove to sirius that it broken and they will continue your free lifetime service on the new receiver. You may have to buy a new receiver to continue the service but if you have it forever it pays for itself really quick. If you buy the life of the receiver service it pays for itself after 4 years or so.

:begin rant:
    Go w/ XM, you won't regret it! And please don't choose Sirius just b/c of Stern. XM will eventually buy Sirius (if the FCC/Gov. approve) or they will just die. Their hardware is way behind XM and they just reported $297 million in losses last year. How will they ever be able to pay Stern $500 million???
    :end rant:
    2005 WRB Pearl WRX
    RIP - 12/21/04 - 2004 Nissan Spec-V

Quote Originally Posted by bbpuppet
    I have had Xm for about 2 years now and love it! Even more now that Opie and Anthony are on XM! You have to pay $1.99/month for their channel, but it's worth it IMHO. If you have no idea who I'm talking about, check out opieanthony.com.
    I have XM also.... I got it just for O&A!!!!! Those guys rock. I also like the music selection on XM, and they will have all baseball on there starting this spring.
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast