Stereo questions/concerns...

This is a discussion on Stereo questions/concerns... within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I hate to bring up some of these questions, but I would appreciate answers besides "do a search". I have ...

Stereo questions/concerns...

I hate to bring up some of these questions, but I would appreciate answers besides "do a search". I have searched for all of these and most of you all have different information.

First: I want to upgrade my headunit, speakers, and add one 12'' enclosed sub. I would like the exact sizes of the factory speakers (6-speaker package). I've read 6.5 up front AND 5.25. Which is it? My goal is to purchase speakers which need no spacers, cutting,etc. I want the most seamless install possible, so exact examples would be welcome aswell. I only plan to run an amp pushing no more than 400 watts to the sub. Will these be okay without light flickering (as i read in one post)? I really want to avoid the grounding mod (which I coudn't do myself, lol).

Any other info about what the car can handle as far as this simple stereo set-up would be great! I am a new owner and I want to make sure everything that I do to the car comes out looking as close to stock as possible (from a craftsmanship standpoint). Thanks in advance people.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've installed a lot of speakers into wrxs and you will definitely need some sort of speaker spacer up front. You can buy 1/2 in spacers from a best buy for 12 dollars. I'd recommend something that has a shallow mount, mb quart makes an awesome component.

Regarding your amp, a cap should not be needed but will not hurt.
    Eye am so re todd did.

Go with something that sound good....regardless of needing spacers or not.......its 12 bucks.........As far as the amp goes......an amp that small shouldn't be to bad for the charging system........but a stiffening capacitor wouldn't hurt for better bass.
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

as far as the spacers go...I don't do my own installs (i know, i suck!) so would the shop know to put them in once they see whats in there or should I tell them about the situation, or better yet, purchase them and bring them with me? I will go to a small, more expensive shop for the install, but that's for their quality. I have had horrible problems with places like Circuit City and Best Buy.

So, is the general consensus that the 6.5 component up front with the smallest mounting depth will be the best? Still haven't got those "exact" speaker sizes from anyone yet!

thanks for the info so far. One more thing: Anyone here use www.hookedontronics.com ? There prices seem rediculously low and they look reputable. If anyone's used them, let me know.

I'm not sure about the hookedontronics.com, but i've bought a few things from www.ikesound.com. I have yet to find anywhere cheaper than there, and i've always gotten my stuff on time.

Also to clear things up, what your sayin ilvwhtgrls, is that to put 6.5" speakers up front you need a 1/2 inch spacer? and from what i've read the rears are 4"'s correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar1
    I'm not sure about the hookedontronics.com, but i've bought a few things from www.ikesound.com. I have yet to find anywhere cheaper than there, and i've always gotten my stuff on time.

Also to clear things up, what your sayin ilvwhtgrls, is that to put 6.5" speakers up front you need a 1/2 inch spacer? and from what i've read the rears are 4"'s correct?
    Yes, the factory speakers are very shallow so they clear your window when they are in place. Any aftermarket speaker will have a bigger magnet which will hit your window. I'm pretty sure you can squeeze a 5 1/4 in the rear but to be on the safe side a 4 will work.
    Eye am so re todd did.

let me shead a bit of light on the subject. stock front abotu 5.25 and rear about 4in. now I say about as it's not exact fit. head unit a double din or single din will fit. single if you get a pocket like the forester pocket found at many online places for about $25, do a search. now you have to drill a hole to make it work. use the stock sterio side metal parts. get the adaptor for the wire harness which is the same for 96+ subaru. now here is a fun little bit I have yet to try but I am also interested in. you can upgrade the size of your speakers. as 4in speaker have little to no sound so the fronts carry all the sound. https://w109.webminders.com/iaperfor...log_subaru.asp now these guys make adaptors for the speaker doors. this is a good option. also if you want to replace the tweeters. I put infinity tweeters in the stock location with a bit of work on the factory mounts. now a 12 disk changer will fit under the passanger side seat. and a amp might have a good home under the drivers seat. under the seats there are air vents for the feet of the passangers. they wont miss them. it could cool your amp on a hot day.as far as a sub there is plenty of others who can give good info on that.
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

Albany, NY (school) -- Long Island, NY (home)
    my window bar actually broke on my drivers door because of the mounting depth of a speaker. a half inch spacer will be needed for any 5-1/4 speaker w/ a decently sized magnet to be on the safe side
    '02 PSM WRX -- turboxs turboback w/ magnaflow muffler, perrin up-pipe, helix tmic, ecutek
    LISC #13

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    No spacers are needed. I've answered and provided a laid out plan for installing over-sized speakers countless times. The speaker must be mounted against the inside of the door panel...aka the plastic cover... then sealed. Don't forget to use the trim ring as a spacer between the panel and the speaker to prevent the cone from rubbing against the panel. Now re-install the panel and see if you need to space the window rail. I've fit 6.5" ...which is the stock speaker size, not 5 1/4... that were over 3 inches deep... using this method at my shop.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.