ipod with stock head unit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on ipod with stock head unit? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Is there anyway to wire an ipod to the stock head unit with 6 disc changer? They make those radio ...

ipod with stock head unit?

Is there anyway to wire an ipod to the stock head unit with 6 disc changer? They make those radio transmitters, but the ones I've heard sound kind of crappy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i use the casette adaptor and i think it sounds fine even though other members say it sounds like sh*t.
    i will take pics of how i ghetto rigged my iPod in a decent position too.
    oh i have the mini by the way

I just got an ipod from my gf and would love to have it in the car too. I'm sure the cassette adapter would be okay but I think i'm gonna wait a little longer until the stereo market brings out more options. I know alpine already has something for the ipod.

you can wire an ipod to nearly any aftermarket headunit. even if it doesnt come with an aux input. most aftermarket units have an external cd changer control. go to crutchfield.com and search for aux adapter for your make of head unit. one end plugs into the cd changer input on the back of the head unit and the other is transformed into an rca cable which you can plug your ipod right in.

another option is to look for a used alpine 9813 head unit, which is very high quality and matches the green interior lighting. this will have full compatibility with the alpine/ipod adapter KCA-420i which will allow you to put your IPod somewhere out of the way and just control everything from the head unit. it also charges the ipod at the same time.
    the 9813 is a less expensive way to do it, but you can get any of alpines new line and it will work as well with this adapter. also, keep in mind that a stock 6 disc is worth about $125 if you sell it.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

The Alpine head unit isn't a bad idea, but if possible i'd like to keep the stocker. Does it have an external cd changer control? I wouldn't mind controlling it directly from the ipod if there's a clean way to mount it.

unfortunately the stocker has no inputs since the changer is already housed in the unit.

Damn, thats kind of what I figured. I guess I'll look into the Alpine decks.

yeah sounds like you need to get an iTrip, a cassette adapter, or look at an aftermarket head unit.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

i bought the cassette adaptor for mine and it works great, iTrip is no good on long road trips, at least from my experiences, you're constantly having to change the channels.

Thanks for the input on the part from crutchfield, just bought it for my kenwood unit and can't wait to create something to hold my Rio Carbon...which, btw, is way better than the iPod

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I'll beat the crutchfield prices for you guys whenever you're ready to get one, or any other type of audio/video equipment..
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

There's not even any RCA inputs on the stock deck?
    1994 Toyota Supra Turbo BPU

Quote Originally Posted by mkiv808
    There's not even any RCA inputs on the stock deck?
    The '05 stock units have no connections on the back, not even for an external cd-changer.
    2005 WRB Pearl WRX
    RIP - 12/21/04 - 2004 Nissan Spec-V

Quote Originally Posted by taylor04
    The '05 stock units have no connections on the back, not even for an external cd-changer.
    has anything changed since january? is there anyway to get the stock deck to wire into the ipod?

i really dont want to get into a new deck etc...then i could just buy a used 9811 and have an mp3 player eliminating pretty much a need (for me) for the ipod...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.