ipod with stock head unit? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on ipod with stock head unit? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I used the Monster cassete adaptor when I had my '02 GTI and it worked/sounded great. Now I have an ...

I used the Monster cassete adaptor when I had my '02 GTI and it worked/sounded great. Now I have an '05 STi with no tape player (it's funny how I would now prefer a tape player over a 6 disc changer)! I'm pretty upset b/c the FM transmitter is crap.

Anyway, another option could be to burn songs from your I-Tunes library to a CD since you can fit up to 20 songs per CD. This is the option I am considering since I also want to keep my stock head unit for now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm using a monster FM transmitter now, and its a **** load better than any other FM transmitter I've used.... It does the job very well until I can get a deck.

problem with the tape adaptor is that you still get tape hiss even though there's no tape. you can reduce this by turning on Dolby noise reduction, but really, all that does is re-equalize the sound.

I'm up to my ears in other mods right now (HID, "ultimate intercooler sprayer", neoprene seat covers, and a VF34/supporting mods upgrade...AND I need to repaint my rear bumper), but when I have some play money in the mod budget, I was just going to get a HU with an SD card reader. I don't have an Ipod, but my MP3 player (pocketPC) uses SD cards, if I could plug those directly into my HU and play them then the PocketPC could be left to the purpose it was originally put in for...run the GPS software...although it does both at the same time just fine, its a little cumbersome to have to switch apps while driving to adjust anything.

its really too bad that the stock HU won't play MP3 CD's
    Last edited by blarg; 05-12-2005 at 01:57 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

There is tape hiss with the cassette adaptor but I would no longer hear it once the volume was up. It also helped to turn to Ipod volume all the way up too.

I'll have to look into the Monster FM trans. Isn't it around $80 though?

Quote Originally Posted by STI-51
    There is tape hiss with the cassette adaptor but I would no longer hear it once the volume was up. It also helped to turn to Ipod volume all the way up too.

I'll have to look into the Monster FM trans. Isn't it around $80 though?

Monster is overpriced.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    Monster is overpriced.
    smoe people are saying its worth it some not? is it or not worth it?

Ok, here's my quick review. I purchased the Monster transmitter last night. Not one station came in clear. There was much more hiss than when I used the cassette adaptor and every station would cut out at some point. Price = $80.

I guess it depends on the area in which one lives (I am in central CT). As mentionned in the previous post, it works for some and not for others. I will be returning it promptly.

The only way to get reasonable sound quality is a direct line. None of the tape adapters or transmitters offers this. Wireless technology isn't really good enough/affordable enough for sound quality yet, then again a car isn't an ideal acoustic environment anyways. Recommendations all depend on the users product expectations, if you don't expect much; you will be happy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.