New Head Unit - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Head Unit within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by BarbieJeep So is the pocket a compartment then? You are slowly talkin gme into trying this... How ...

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieJeep
    So is the pocket a compartment then? You are slowly talkin gme into trying this...

How do I start this?

You are correct. the pocket is just another compartment. I use mine to hold my sunglasses or my wallet when i got on long trips and dont want to seat on my wallet. Anyone can do the install. Just make sure you take your time with the wiring on the harness. Pretty much the only tool you need to do the install is a phillps screw driver. If you still dont feel comfortable with doing the install just buy the parts yourself to save yourself some money and get it install at the stereo shop.
    04 WRX Java Black

Mods:
    Cobb Accessport (running stage 2 91 oct), GReddy EVO Catback, Helix Up/Down pipe, Samco IC hoses, Eibach springs, Rota SDRs wheels, Worx BOV, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy bushings and Omori Boost and EGT gauges.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix 1193
    For almost that price you can get a Kenwood Excelon KDC-x979 for 480$ with the Subaru to Universal and Universal to kenwood wiring harness and install it yourself, real simple
    I believe one of the reason she wants the Alpine headunit is for the IPOD interface option.
    04 WRX Java Black

Mods:
    Cobb Accessport (running stage 2 91 oct), GReddy EVO Catback, Helix Up/Down pipe, Samco IC hoses, Eibach springs, Rota SDRs wheels, Worx BOV, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy bushings and Omori Boost and EGT gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by sd-wrx04
    I believe one of the reason she wants the Alpine headunit is for the IPOD interface option.
    BINGO! hehe Actually the only reason
    2004 WRB Wagon R.I.P. (Officially a lemon)

SAVE DARFUR! http://www.savedarfur.org/content
    NEVER let fear hold you back from something beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by sd-wrx04
    You are correct. the pocket is just another compartment. I use mine to hold my sunglasses or my wallet when i got on long trips and dont want to seat on my wallet. Anyone can do the install. Just make sure you take your time with the wiring on the harness. Pretty much the only tool you need to do the install is a phillps screw driver. If you still dont feel comfortable with doing the install just buy the parts yourself to save yourself some money and get it install at the stereo shop.
    So how do you use the screw driver to get the head unit out?

[hijack] i am going to be pulling an alpine 9815 out of my car in 7-10 days and it will be up for sale. it is last years high-end model and has full compatibility with the ipod adapter. just over a year old, like new condition in every way and includes almost 2 years remaining on the tweeter extended warranty. just another option... it will provide much higher quality sound if you are being critical, but more importantly it has a 2 line display so it will show twice as much info from your ipod. it seems that limited info displayed is one of the only limitations of the alpine/ipod interface, so just something to think about. i'm looking for $300 shipped for it... ($570 with warranty/tax 14 months ago). [/hijack]

with that said, alpine makes great head units in general, and the ipod interface is a great thing to have. and i also recommend the legacy din pocket which can be had for under $25 shipped from a couple places online. install of everything is very simple with a harness, so its definitely something you could tackle yourself if that will save you any money.

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieJeep
    So how do you use the screw driver to get the head unit out?
    first you open the cupholder above the radio and take out the screws on either side and then pull the cupholder out completely. then with your fingertips pry the plastic surround away from the radio/hvac controls. there are two clips at the top and two at the bottom... they can be stubburn but just take your time and you'll be fine.
    once you take that off, you'll see either 2 or 3 phillips head screws on either side of the radio. unscrew all of them and the radio will slide forward. unhook the harness, antenna wire, and ground wire to detach it completely.
    to put a new one in you'll need to take the metal bracket off of each side of the head unit, and put them onto your new one. if you got a pocket you'll also need to put this in the bracket now. then just use the specific harness you have and plug it into the new head unit, plug the antenna wire in, and the ground. then just slide the whole unit back into place and repeat the first few steps in reverse order.
    its really pretty simple .
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I actually just did the exact same install (Alpine CDA-9827 with iPod connector) got it for about $420 with wiring harness and DIN pocket but that's Canadian so I dunno what that works out to. Me and a buddy installed the whole works in about 2.5 hours and it looks and sounds great. The only complaint I would have is that the display on the 9827 doesnt have as many characters as I would like when browsing the iPod, no trouble actually finding things though.
    2004 WRB WRX Sedan ... Bone Stock

barbiejeep...i just sent you a PM to explain further but i'll post here as well for anyone else reading...
    there is one element of the install i forgot to mention which only applies to the higher end alpine head units with V-Drive internal amps. with these head units it is recommended that you run a larger gauge power line directly from the battery to the head unit with an amp in line. this makes the install slightly not plug and play. you basically just cut the power line off of the harness and instead connect it to an in-line fuse and then to a 10 or 12 gauge wire running directly to the battery.
    if you know what you're doing or read my little install directions well i'd say this can all be done with the power from the battery in about an hour or an hour and a half. if you're learning as you go then i supposed 2.5 sounds about right
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    barbiejeep...i just sent you a PM to explain further but i'll post here as well for anyone else reading...
    there is one element of the install i forgot to mention which only applies to the higher end alpine head units with V-Drive internal amps. with these head units it is recommended that you run a larger gauge power line directly from the battery to the head unit with an amp in line. this makes the install slightly not plug and play. you basically just cut the power line off of the harness and instead connect it to an in-line fuse and then to a 10 or 12 gauge wire running directly to the battery.
    if you know what you're doing or read my little install directions well i'd say this can all be done with the power from the battery in about an hour or an hour and a half. if you're learning as you go then i supposed 2.5 sounds about right
    bryan

The 9827 doesnt have the V-Drive feature....i think the 9830s series do.
    04 WRX Java Black

Mods:

oh ok i wasnt sure if the 9827 did or not. so i guess the 30, 31, 33, and 35 do, and also the 9813 adn 15 from last year.
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

So from what I can tell teh alpine 9815 is not compatable withe the iPod interface? correct?

all 2004 alpine head units AND the 9813 and 9815 from last year are compatible. it need to have the quick search function, which are the three buttons just to the right of the volume knob. you'll be all set with anything that has that .
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

Alpines do not sound good

I recently talked to numerous guys at Magnolia audio video and they said the Aline Unit sound quality is lacking, the best way to hook up an i pod is to buy a pioneer head unit that accepts aux inputs via the ip bus interface, the same imput as the cd changer and go that route, for $35.

Just wanted to add some more feedback for ya barbiejeep, I have the CDA 9827 in my car and i love it! I paid $215 out the door from hookedontronics.com. Then I went to hhgreg (or any radio dealer) and picked up a 'Metra' wiring kit thats universal for most subaru's. I just spliced that into the Alpine HU wiring so I didn't need to cut into the Subaru setup. It worked like a charm. Then I used the 04 forester din pocket that matches the interior 'silver' color perfectly (the legacy din pocket only came in black).

I say I spent overall, $250, and it didn't require too much experience. I'm sure someone close can help you with the install, cause paying $400 for parts and install seems way to high.

If you want, I can get a picture for ya too. I think you'll really like the HU, it rocks.

FYI - I have alpine speakers with it and the sound quality is great.

edit - my din pocket required some cutting of extra plastic to fit, but the fit and finish is excellent and you can't see where I cut off excess material.

edit edit - wow, i just realized how old this thread was
    Last edited by bluerex47; 01-28-2005 at 04:33 PM.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Quote Originally Posted by WRXneffex
    I recently talked to numerous guys at Magnolia audio video and they said the Aline Unit sound quality is lacking, the best way to hook up an i pod is to buy a pioneer head unit that accepts aux inputs via the ip bus interface, the same imput as the cd changer and go that route, for $35.
    But does that do what the Alpine does, put the iPod display on the head unit and allow control through the head unit controls?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast