2005 STI Stock Stereo help

This is a discussion on 2005 STI Stock Stereo help within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; A few questions for other '05 STI owners. Has anyone taken out the stock speakers? Did you find the stock ...

2005 STI Stock Stereo help

A few questions for other '05 STI owners. Has anyone taken out the stock speakers? Did you find the stock speakers have the tiniest magnets ever created? Did anyone else install the upgraded speakers? Are the any DIRECT replacement good door speakers out there? Has anyone heard of or installed Rainbow speakers? Would upgrading the speakers without changing the HU make a major improvement? Is there a direct replacement HU for this application?

For reference purposes, I have a stock headunit with Subaru "upgraded" accessory speakers and a Subaru sub. While it sounds better than stock, it's not even close to as loud or clean as my SRT-4, with the Kicker "Livin' Loud" setup. It also lacks the bass "punch" of the Kicker sub. I'm not afraid to spend the $, but don't want to be a guinea pig! I'm NOT an audiophile, but wan't a nice, clean, reliable system. It's unfortunate that Subaru does not offer an optional aftermarket name brand speaker/radio system, like the Dodge/Kicker system (or Bose, Boston Acoustics, or any of the other speaker manufacturers that offer factory installed or dealer installed systems).

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    '06 Dodge Charger SRT8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

https://w109.webminders.com/iaperfor...ctionNumber=71

installing my Alpine SPX-177A's today.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack
    https://w109.webminders.com/iaperfor...ctionNumber=71

installing my Alpine SPX-177A's today.
    Been there, seen that. I want to see someone who's done it. If anything, I'd make my own adapters out of MDF for better sound.
    A solution that required no adapter rings would be ideal.
    '06 Dodge Charger SRT8

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Rainbow will not fit without extensive modification. Also, since we're talking about Rainbow speakers, they should never, and I'm mean never, ever be mentioned in the same sentence with OEM, or stock radio. yes, you'll need to change your radio, and to a very good one at that if you want to play the rainbow's at their full potential. Here's my advice though, save a few grand, and instead of buying one of the most elite speaker lines, settle for something that's merely amazing, and do some custom work, as the human ear will not be able to differentiate between a $5k speaker and a $1.5k speaker. If you want to retain a stock look, you need to look into some other threads I had where the fitment was discussed in hubble-scope like quality. In them, a number of possibilities and PITA's were covered that you need to be aware of before doing or purchasing any stereo equipment. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Can you provide a link to the referenced posts? I mention Rainbow because I heard they are the best shallow depth speakers and fit nicely in an STI. I don't need the best, but am not interested in custom door panels, fibergalss boxes, etc. If I could lift the Kicker system out of the SRT-4 and throw it in the STI, I'd be done.
    '06 Dodge Charger SRT8

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The only speaker/woofer that'll even remotely fit is the Xline. It still requires the moving of the window rail. I would not consider these to be shallow speakers. Very nice, but not shallow.

Here's the MB Quart thread
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.