Quicky car audio question...

This is a discussion on Quicky car audio question... within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; This may come as a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. So I bought some wires from ...

Quicky car audio question...

This may come as a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. So I bought some wires from knuconceptz.com and will be putting them in soon. I know it's a good idea to put power wires on one side and speaker wires on the other.

I already have my power wire (4 guage) and my grounds on the driver side and my RCA cables on the passenger side. Now the speaker wires, so I put on the driver or passenger side? They are considered power wires, right?

My second question.... Do you think I overkilled on my speaker wires? I ordered some 12 guage wires to hook up my amp (Alpine MRV-430 Bridged 2 channel x 100 watts 4 ohms) to my headunit? I didn't know they were going to be this thick. The headunit wires are probably 18 or even 22 guage. Do you think it's going to even make a difference if I put in 12 guage vs. say 16 or 18 guage?

Third Question.... What is better to improve on: Better RCA cables or thicker speaker wires? Before I knew about knuconceptz, I bought this rather expensive (WAY OVERPRICED) set of Tsunami Twisted cable RCAs from Circuit City LINK . They seem sort of on the thin side, but since they were expensive, I thought they were "good." Would it be worth it to uprade? I have a pair of Infinity Kappas 60.5CS.

Thanks as usual!
    2004 Subaru WRX Sti - Java Black Pearl/Silver wheels.

-Bone stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd say probably go with putting the speaker wires on the passenger side.
    12 gauge speaker wire is overkill for the power you're running, in my opinion. I think I had 11 gauge going to my sub-woofers that were receiving power from an amp rated at 1400 watts RMS. Thinner wire is easier to work with, so 16 gauge or 18 gauge would be better probably for your application.
    Get better RCAs. The best ones I like that are affordable are the Stinger Expert series RCAs.
    http://www.stingerelectronics.com/web/prods/expert.asp
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

If you already have the 12 guage wire installed and there's no problems, I'd say stick with it. Besides, more copper diameter is better for the distance from the amp to the radio. I'm assuming you have your amp in the trunk. Slim chance, but you may notice a sound difference with lower gauge wire esp. with the high quality kappa speakers. High frequencies are most affected by attenuation caused from insufficient wiring. You can't go wrong with lower gauge wire!

Cheers.
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I wouldn't consider the kappa's high end, but then to each his own.

The speaker gauge is a little too big. If it's already in the vehicle, then stick with it. If not, go with 16-18 gauge. There is no need for the thicker wiring, all it'll do is act like a gigantic antenna, picking up any and all RF or other electric and magnetic signals, and though there is a slight difference in the amount of power that can be pushed through different gauge wire, it is negligeble on your speaker end. Power wire is different, as it carries DC current. You amp is in reality a DC to AC converter, meaning that though still pushing 'power', it is nothing like the current flowing through the power wire.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.