Stereo Question For The Guru's

This is a discussion on Stereo Question For The Guru's within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; opinions please. I cant handle the rex's stock stereo any more. But im not looking to spend -5k. I also ...

Stereo Question For The Guru's

opinions please. I cant handle the rex's stock stereo any more. But im not looking to spend $3-5k.
    I also have to go with what the shops carry around here because i do not have time to do this myself.
    I have an mtx 4chanel amp from 1-2 years ago that i pulled out of my truck b4 i sold it. Im looking to use it. I know its not up to par with some high end stuff but i have it and need to use it,
    so, one guy i know does sell high end stuff, mbQ,alpine........his denali is unbelievable. So in my price range he is suggesting memphis speakers ( never heard of them) and pioneer hu.
    last night i stoped in a shop that is local. Good guys and one man has a wrx . Im looking at this line up from them:
    kenwood excelon components in front, coaxials in back, ddx7015 2din hu- all hooked up to the mtx. Do I NEED a second amp for the read coaxials? mtx running the front components? is this ok without a sub?
    ARE THE KENWOOD EXCELON SERIES SPEAKERS DECENT? THEY SOUND GREAT IN THIS GUYS REX BUT.....

bty, 2004wrx sport wagon @ stage 3.
    summary:
    -memphis speakers any good?
    -kenwood excelon speaker quality?
    -hu's?
    -mtx ok to power this system?
    i listen to rock, (gratefull dead......) and i like it loud. maybe another amp for the rear speakers. ej20 has stated more is better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know if I'm a guru but here's my take on things. First i wouldn't worry too much about the rear coax speakers as they are just for rear fill anyway. I would say bag them all together, but if you want them they certainly do not need to be amped. Second, as far as the components go, its all a matter of preference. Listen to a couple different sets of speakers, which ever you like the best then get those. As long as you do not abuse them they will be fine. Now I don't know how many watts per channel your amp is running but if you use two channels for the components then you could bridge the remaining two to drive a sub (if you wanted one), but thats up to you. If not you could use those two channels to power the rear speakers, but be careful, because if you have them as loud as the fronts they will screw with your imaging. hope this helped at least a little bit

-memphis speakers any good?

Yes, Memphis is very good. They are makeing a big name for them selves and are getting great reviews. My brother has them in his car (amp, speakers and sup) and it sounds great.

-kenwood excelon speaker quality?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! They should just stick to Head Units

-hu's?

Pioneer is a good choice, look at the 4600MP for under $200 you get alot.

My personal favorite is Alpine if you want to speand alittle more.

-mtx ok to power this system?

Sure, just get a seperate sub amp and sub.

Good Luck,

Rudy

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The kenwood excelon speakers are a complete waste of money. The reason he has them, was because when you purchase a Excelon HU, and Excelon speakers at accomodation, you get a massive discount. They boil down to about $40 for the demo vehicle. Regardless, even at $40, they're still not worth the money.

kenwood HU are the bomb, alpine is very pricey, good, but you can find better for the money... which happens to be the same with Memphis speakers. They're very good, but you'll get better for less from another manufacturer.

Sell the MTX. If you've got 3-5 K for a system, get a better amp.

This would be a great setup

Excelon 7015 - the only radio to buy if you have a WRX or STi. I have a few threads with pics of mine.

MB Quart Premier, Dynaudio System 240 GT, Diamond HEX, Kove Opulent, Focal Kevlar (only if you plan on building a new door panel), would all be excellent choices, and give a tremendous bang for your buck.

Audison, Arc Audio, Xtant, Soundstream Van Gogh, and the Hifonics are all fantastic amps. Stay away from mainstream amps such as Alpine, MTX, Sony, RF are good, but make sure you get the new one's and more than enough power. Oh, and let's not forget the pricey but awesome MB Q amps.

Subs, take your pick. Very few companies actually make a "bad" sub. There are better one's, Alpine type R's, JL W0, Rockford P3 or T1, ADS, Kicker CVR, would be a few 'good' subs. If you want to go wild, consider the Focal Utopia woofer, Xtant or even the MMATS.

Hope this helps, let me know if there are any products you have questions about, or are looking for.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Thats why this is the best forum! Great info. and save me from wasting my hard earned $.
    THANKS
    ej20fan,
    whats a better speaker in the price range he can get the memphis' for ($330)?
    I would/may get a system from you but my delema is- i dont have time to do a radio install. If you sell me a system, could you include a detailed diagram of the wiring and how to take off door panels- if i could play hooky from the hospital for aday?? ( ive installed done radios when i was younger but would prefer an expert.) if not, Im kind of limited to the shops choices, and will have to get less expensive equipment due to instalation charge and as you mentioned , huge markup.

If someone could refer a local Pa person that does radio install's , i would follow youre advise:
    -7015 kenwood HU (at least i got that right)
    (how are the arc adio speakers???? one guy does have them at a shop in hatfield area.)
    -front components - youre recomendation, but i cant go nuts on the speakers $ wise because i realy want the HU, which is good $ (fould new on ebay for $890 without the tv tuner!)
    -amp or youre choice - again , see above.

any steroe installers in pa???????????????????????????????????????????????? ???
    then i may be able to get a better system for the $ by buying from folks like ej20fan and supporting these fine people/"sponsors".

any good?:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...732715888&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...34873&tc=photo
    Last edited by rpfride; 11-17-2004 at 07:57 AM.

I cannot speak for the diamond audio components as i've never heard them (help me out ej20fan) but I am running a hifonics amp and i couldn't be happier. I'm not a big fan of 4 channel amps; i would rather have a small component amp and a dedicated monoblock subwoofer amp. It may be a bit more expensive but it will give you more tuning options.

As far as components go, once you get into sets that are made of quality materials it is all about preference. Some like the tweeters harsh, some like 'em soft and smooth. Thats when it helps to be able to listen to different sets in a store. I have the alpine type-r set in my car now. I replaced the tweeter with a CDT tweeter because it was too harsh for my tastes, but the midbass on them is awsome. I'm sure ej20fan can help with how different sets sound more then me though.

I used to run a single 12 Type-r in a sealed enclosure and i was satisfied for what i paid for it. It is a nice sounding sub that get reasonably loud. The best part about it was that it did not require loads of power to get moving so I did not have to spend a fortune on an amp. After that i have run subs from both Resonant Engineering and Elemental Designs, both smaller internet companies that turn amazing product. Only downside is that you cannot hear a sub before you buy it.

Anyway, main thing is that you should definitly listen to different speakers and see what you like the sound of the best. After all, your going to be listening to them.
    Last edited by Mercureie; 11-17-2004 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks.Our practice is alittle slow and iv been able to research/read alittle. How will this sound??
    Here is what im going with:
    -kenwood HU dxx7015
    -mb quart pce 216 premium , 6.5" component in front
    -mb quart coaxial 4" in rear doors
    -10" sub with custom encloser, somewhere,somekind.
    -all powered by huge xtant top of line amp (3-5 way)
    -profesionaly installed

***Im being told these speakers will not fit in the doors!! is this true? ej20fan said the focal's are the ones not fitting.
    ej20fan, prices on the mb quart mentioned above? Id rather get them from you if i can.
    Spacers needed and do you sell them?? adapter needed for HU and do you sell them??

EDIT, I ALSO have read in thread , as per ej20fan, the pce216 are older mb quart and not up to par.. now im getting pissed and confused.

Just tell me what will fit and a good speaker for $350ish that i can go to http://www.ikesound.com/ or ej20fan! please
    Last edited by rpfride; 11-18-2004 at 08:06 AM.